2nd bike besides Goldwing....SV650 or Busa?

skater69

Registered
I don't mean 2nd bike as 2nd ever...but as additional. I've been riding for awhile and have about 50K miles under my belt.

I just got an SV650 naked as second bike. My GL1800 is my main ride here in CA and since I don't own a car, wanted a backup bike. Use the SV for commuting mostly. Wing is for longer weekend rides, bad weather, and some commuting too. I like the SV...need to add a small fairing or windscreen since hwy riding above 75 can be a bit crazy.

Used to own a cbr1100xx which I really liked but could only afford 1 bike at the time so sold it and got a Wing for greater comfort.

Was thinking about selling the SV...which would be a nice loss (since I added springs and exhaust) and just getting a Busa as a second bike/commuter. I do a lot of hwy riding and while the SV is ok, the Busa would I'm sure be much better. But how would the Busa compare as far as lane splitting and weaving thru traffic? Is it a bit heavy for that? I know the SV thrives in that environment.

Thanks for any feedback

skater, if you can ride, you'll love the Busa.
lane splitting, twisties, whatever floats your boat!!

Busa. Just make sure to start a rear tire fund, you will need one every 3000 miles.
smile.gif

yep what moondog said rear tires disappear very quickly. You will love the Busa its very easy to ride but twist the right wrist and you better have some distance between you and whatever is in front of you.
wink.gif

Yeah that rear tire expense could get a bit tiresome since I also have a $17K bike I'm paying off....not to mention I will take a beating on the SV if get rid of it. Maybe I'll hold off and just put some wind protection on the SV for now. I actually have a lot of fun on it. Of course it's not close to Busa fast but at the same time, it keeps me out of trouble b/c of that. And it can go from 70-90 in no time. Perhaps it's better I stay out of the triple digits....something I found very hard to do when I had my blackbird....

Nothing wrong with the SV. If it does the job no need to change. If you get a Busa it may become more than just your 2nd bike!

Busa. Just make sure to start a rear tire fund, you will need one every 3000 miles.
smile.gif
Really? No matter what? I ask because I don't do burnouts or any type of stunts. Even under regular riding, is that the norm?
It's not the "norm" , but it's pretty common for those that ride hard. I've got about 5600 miles on my rear tire and I'm getting a new one this weekend.

If I start doing more track days, then I'll obviously be going through them a LOT faster.
laugh.gif

The Busa handles well enough for close quarters traffic combat
laugh.gif

Just look close at what you really want out of the bike. If you're a speed freak or accelleration junkie like me, then you'll definitely want the Busa. If you want a commuter with nimble handling then I would opt for the SV.

Your call. Good Luck
biggrin.gif

The Busa handles well enough for close quarters traffic combat
laugh.gif

Just look close at what you really want out of the bike.  If you're a speed freak or accelleration junkie like me, then you'll definitely want the Busa.  If you want a commuter with nimble handling then I would opt for the SV.

Your call.  Good Luck
biggrin.gif
Kinda like a bit of both. If I didn't already mod out the SV, I'd go Busa most likely. I have the SV posted for sale but unless I get close to what I want, I'll probably just hold onto it and ride it hard for year or 2 and then maybe get a 'Busa. The SV does make a great commuter and power is actually pretty good as long as I keep it north of 6K.
cool.gif

you said it well enough for yourself. i've got both...the busa and the svs.  the busa for the long trips and the svs as my commuter/track bike.
smile.gif

I guess I'm a little harder on the tires then most, but no burn-outs...just lots of high speed twisties and a couple of quick trips to 150+ (everytime I ride)

you said it well enough for yourself. i've got both...the busa and the svs.  the busa for the long trips and the svs as my commuter/track bike.
smile.gif
Well the Wing has spoiled me as far as longer rides go.....plus the added storage and taking the girlfriend along at times.....I doubt I'd be handle the Busa as my comfort machine now that I've logged about 30K on my gl1800.

It's not a problem spliting on a Busa. As for the tire wear....it depends on you. Sticky sport tires last 2-4,000 , a sport touring tire could last 5-8,000+
wink.gif

Busa is good for long trips!! The weaving is ok.... INDIA has dense and unorganised traffic, and busa manages pretty well... you will never be able to sway it around like a 600 or smaller bike, but its not too bad
biggrin.gif

Your situation sounds like me about 2 years ago. Had the 1800 wing, which forced me to replace the cruiser (became too boring) I had as a second bike with a Z1000 naked bike. Got rid of the naked for the busa. After the busa the wing had to go! Now I have the GSXR1000 (05) as a mate for the busa. My advice as being someone who has been where you are.......DO NOT GET THE BUSA!!! That is unless you're willing to change your entire riding perspective in life. BTW: I'm 54 and getting younger every year thanks to the busa and Gixxer!!!

Back