Computer geeks - i need advice/help!

MC MUSTANG

Peace Keeper or Ban Hammer-it's up to you; IDMBT#9
Staff member
Administrator
Registered
Okay all - I need help! I don't know anything about wireless printers, but I need one. Momma is using our desktop, I am using my laptop for school; I need a printer so that I don't have to keep downloading my documents to the desktop and printing from there.....

Anybody...... HELP!

THX

You have a couple of options. You can make your existing printer a network printer by purchasing printer server, or you can purchase another printer that is WiFi ready (~ $300+).

<a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/Network-wireless-printer-server_W0QQitemZ5865597346QQcategoryZ64057QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1
QQcmdZViewItem" target="_blank">linky</a>

The printer server connects the network via a network cable or wifi signal, and then permits your printer to be "visible" on your home network.

Or you could attach the printer to your wives computer and share it. Plug the wireless AP in a $25 switch and your good to go.. If you wireless AP has a switch built in just plug your wifes computer into it and share the printer.

True, but sharing can be a bit frustrating due to the way winblows handles permissions. I think the laptop's userid would have to be created on the desktop pc and he's have to first connect to it before doing any printing.

Or you could attach the printer to your wives computer and share it. Plug the wireless AP in a $25 switch and your good to go.. If you wireless AP has a switch built in just plug your wifes computer into it and share the printer.
I have thought of that, but the reason that I bought a router is so that I can do school work in a different room while she is doing her internet stuff.
Not sure what to do, but I definately appreciate the replies...I don't know anything about this stuff....

You're most welcome. Check your router for a usb port. Some have it to facilitate sharing a usb printer.

I checked my router, no usb port....
sad.gif

Back