Macbook users, I need help!

Zoinks!

Registered
So, my dad just got a new 17" macbook pro and I've spent all afternoon trying to get it set up to print over the wireless network at the house. He got an airport express and I linked the printer with it and got the airport base station all setup and all that, but I can't get the computer to recognize the printer. The airport will, but I can't make it print. I've gotten it to the default printer using bonjour but everytime I click print, nothing happens. One thing I did notice was that the driver is listed as on of the Geutenprint drivers. I don't know if this makes a difference or not, but supposedly it's supposed to work with that driver. One thing I haven't been able to do is find the printer utilities under utilities in the applications folder. Everywhere I go to try to get some instruction on what to do it says, "go to Printer Setup Utilities in Utilites of the Applications folder. But it's not there. Is that the same thing as going into the printers section under system prefferences? Any help here would be greatly appreciated. Oh, and the printer is an HP OfficeJet G85.

You will need to use a print server perhaps? That's how I run my setup (mac and pc)...

Oh, one more thing. I can't even get it print by connecting it with a USB cable. Sorry but this is the first time I've even touched a Mac.

If you can't even print using USB directly attached, it MUST be a driver problem. I'd go get the latest MAC driver from HP.

Oh, one more thing. I can't even get it print by connecting it with a USB cable. Sorry but this is the first time I've even touched a Mac.

hmm... That's odd... what kind of printer is it? Make / Model ?

You will need to use a print server perhaps? That's how I run my setup (mac and pc)...

You talkin about runnin the mac through a pc connected directly to the printer? If so, I tried that too, but it won't bring up the printer name when I go to add a new printer. It just says "printer" or "printer2". I tried it anyway and it just kept runnin paper through and would print random text every now and then that looked kind of like a test page, but never would print what I asked for.

Install Windows XP on it and that thing will blaze away. :whistle:

I know, not much help. I have a MacBook and I can't stand the Mac OS/X other than it's battery life at idle.

You talkin about runnin the mac through a pc connected directly to the printer? If so, I tried that too, but it won't bring up the printer name when I go to add a new printer. It just says "printer" or "printer2". I tried it anyway and it just kept runnin paper through and would print random text every now and then that looked kind of like a test page, but never would print what I asked for.

Nope, see link..

D-Link DPR-1260 RangeBooster G Multifunction Print Server

If you can't even print using USB directly attached, it MUST be a driver problem. I'd go get the latest MAC driver from HP.

Tried that too. Downloaded 3 different ones at different times when the previous one didn't work. After it downloaded the driver it would search for printers and wouldn't find any. I tried all 3 different drivers for that series printer and non of them worked. Same thing every time.

Go into system prefs, then printers, hit the + sign and you shouldshould have a "windows" print tab to work from... select or add printer in there.

Let me know if that helps...

Oh, you can also check your default printers, ip printers etc there...

Go into system prefs, then printers, hit the + sign and you shouldshould have a "windows" print tab to work from... select or add printer in there.

Let me know if that helps...

That's where I was. The other computer shows up, but it won't show any printers connected. The farthest I can go is the second collumn. I click the network I want in the first collumn, click the computer in the 2nd, and then I should be able to select a printer in the 3rd, but I can't. I won't bring anything up.

That's where I was. The other computer shows up, but it won't show any printers connected. The farthest I can go is the second collumn. I click the network I want in the first collumn, click the computer in the 2nd, and then I should be able to select a printer in the 3rd, but I can't. I won't bring anything up.

Are you trying to print with the printer connected to a pc computer or via a direct USB connection to the mac?

I'm typing this with a MacBook Pro, and I can print remotely using it... Have been doing so for the last year...

That's odd, on one page it lists Mac OS, but on another page I was on it didn't. Same unit. That's weird. Obviously it works, though, if you're using it. The thing we were trying to get away from was having the old desktop set up. I have a laptop too, so the parents were just wanting to use the new macbook and get rid of the old desktop. Might just need to get a new printer. That thing's pretty dang old.

Back