Macbook users, I need help!

Here is something interesting I found about that printer...

"it is network capable with Jetdirect external print servers (optional accessory)."

Are you trying to print with the printer connected to a pc computer or via a direct USB connection to the mac?

I've tried both. I tried first to do it wirelessly without the PC at all, then I tried using a direct USB connection, then I tried using the PC as a host. Haven't been able to get it to work any of the 3 ways. It's really gotten me quite agrivated cause I'm fairly computer savy and can normally figure these things out, but the Mac OS is just something I'm not at all familiar with.

I've tried both. I tried first to do it wirelessly without the PC at all, then I tried using a direct USB connection, then I tried using the PC as a host. Haven't been able to get it to work any of the 3 ways. It's really gotten me quite agrivated cause I'm fairly computer savy and can normally figure these things out, but the Mac OS is just something I'm not at all familiar with.

Use BootCamp. Install XP and you have a working, blazing fast laptop that is very stable. I know. I did the same thing.

With a print server, you don't need to connect the printer to ANY computer. The printer connects to the print server directly, then the print server wirelessly connects to your wireless router (airport) thereby allowing any wireless computer to print from it... That is how I run my home setup except I have a dlink wireless router instead of the airport...

Use BootCamp. Install XP and you have a working, blazing fast laptop that is very stable. I know. I did the same thing.

Dude, I was a net admin for 10yrs+ switched to Macbook Pro (OS X) two years ago for my personal laptop, and I can tell you I would NEVER EVER EVER go back to microslow... :p

There is definitely another issue plaguing you if you can't print via a dirrect USB connection.

Dumb question... but...

Did you follow the printer driver install exactly as per printer OS X instructions?

Dude, I was a net admin for 10yrs+ switched to Macbook Pro (OS X) two years ago for my personal laptop, and I can tell you I would NEVER EVER EVER go back to microslow... :p

Everyone has their preference. Mac OS is not mine.

Can you call a printer tech line and go through the install with them, that would be ground zero, getting the printer to print via USB connection.

I googled some installs, looks like it is a bit tricky at times... Here was a useful hint:

I got them from HP's website. Here's the link: Select software and drivers

If the link doesn't work, I went to the software and drivers, searched "OfficeJet G85" and then went to Mac OS X. I used driver 7.3.1 for OS X 10.4 (its the 62.83 MB one). After installing this, I got the USB to recognize the G85 and it created an entry for it in the Print & Fax part with an actual G85 icon, alongside the Gutenprint one that Leopard installed. The G85 specific one worked.

"If you're having a problem with an HP printer not working correctly, sometime it's better to trash all the HP software on your hard drive and start over. Do a search for hp on your hard drive(s) and see if there's a software-delete program - there used to be one with HP software. See if that works. If not, search for hp on your hard drive and manually delete all the hp copy, print, fax, etc software you find, and then use the site that Brian mentioned above to get a fresh copy of the software installer. Sometimes it take more than one try for the computer to find the HP printer! Just keep trying until it installs. Sooner or later it works. "

Gotta go bbq dinner, be back in 1hr... let me know if you got anywhere or found out why the printer is not being ID'd via direct USB connection...

Dumb question... but...

Did you follow the printer driver install exactly as per printer OS X instructions?

This, I did do. As far as I know. Lol. I downloaded the file and then clicked "downloads" at the bottom of the desktop and then "open" which started the download. From there the next thing it did was start installing the driver, then it searched for the printer and couldn't find anything. I restarted the search just to be sure and it still didn't find anything.

Can you call a printer tech line and go through the install with them, that would be ground zero, getting the printer to print via USB connection.

I haven't looked into that yet, I was just tryin to see if anyone on here knew of something I might be doing wrong, but I guess that's my next step. I still REALLY want to know why "Print Utilities" is not anywhere to be found in the utilities folder. . .

Well, I finally got it to work. The printer isn't compatible with the apple airport express, and I just messed around with the network connection some more and finally got it to recognize it. Now if I can just find some sort of other print server that's compatible with this ancient all-in-one I'll be good. Gonna do some reasearch and see what I can come up with. Thanks for all the help guys, I really do appreciate it. Believe it or not I've been working on this since about 2:30 or 3:00 this afternoon. I really like the Mackbook, I'll just have to get use to the system and find my way around it. Unfortunately it's my parent's computer so I probably won't get a whole lot of time to play with it.

Well, I finally got it to work. The printer isn't compatible with the apple airport express, and I just messed around with the network connection some more and finally got it to recognize it. Now if I can just find some sort of other print server that's compatible with this ancient all-in-one I'll be good. Gonna do some reasearch and see what I can come up with. Thanks for all the help guys, I really do appreciate it. Believe it or not I've been working on this since about 2:30 or 3:00 this afternoon. I really like the Mackbook, I'll just have to get use to the system and find my way around it. Unfortunately it's my parent's computer so I probably won't get a whole lot of time to play with it.

Glad you got it cooking:thumbsup:

Might be kinda tough to find a compatible print server with an older printer... Try to google it, and see if you can dig something up, good luck man :beerchug:

Glad you got it cooking:thumbsup:

Might be kinda tough to find a compatible print server with an older printer... Try to google it, and see if you can dig something up, good luck man :beerchug:

Yea, I tried. Looks like to use a server we're gonna need a new printer. Even HP's servers don't have that one supported. Anyway, for now I guess we're just gonna have to use the old desktop, but it's probably gonna crash before too long, so we'll have to do something else eventually. Thankfully all-in-ones have come WAAAAY down in price since the G85 was purchased. As I was searching I found something that said that G85 was $800. Now you can get one that works faster and is smaller for about $350.

I never did find out why the USB connection wasn't working, but once I got it going I didn't feel like trying to make that work, lol.

Back