Computer Help

Pipefighter248

Donating Member
Registered
Just wondering if anyone can tell me how to set up a wireless network to transfer files from a desktop to a laptop?
I tried for about 2 hours last night and could not get it to work.
Some info if needed.
Desktop is an emachines running XP Media center
Laptop is an Acer running Vista home premium.
Wireless router is a linksys with desktop wired into the back and laptop running through wireless.
Thanks for the help.

I'm sure there is a technical way of doing it, but I normally just send an email to myself containing the file(s) and open it using the computer I want to get the file on. If the file is too big, I burn it onto a CDR-W and place the file on the other computer via the disc.

(NightCrawler @ Jun. 09 2007,09:45) I'm sure there is a technical way of doing it, but I normally just send an email to myself containing the file(s) and open it using the computer I want to get the file on. If the file is too big, I burn it onto a CDR-W and place the file on the other computer via the disc.
I can transfer using an external Hard drive, but I was hoping to get it setup to use wireless over the router network.

(NightCrawler @ Jun. 09 2007,09:45) I'm sure there is a technical way of doing it, but I normally just send an email to myself containing the file(s) and open it using the computer I want to get the file on. If the file is too big, I burn it onto a CDR-W and place the file on the other computer via the disc.
I can transfer using an external Hard drive, but I was hoping to get it setup to use wireless over the router network.

I assume that both machines connected to internet?

Check that both machines at the same workgroup.

Untitled_1.jpg

enable encryption on you wireless router - before you share data....unless you want your neighbors to see what ya got
rock.gif

This is exactly what I am going through right now. Wife just bought a Dell Laptop running XP pro (McAfee) and our main pc is running XP MCE (Norton). Both access the net just fine but I am struggling to get em to share printers etc. Going to have to look at a few of the things mentioned above.

bowdown.gif

Back