Commute to work on your busa

oh, covered parking at the cop shop. Glad I don't commute in traffic I don't know how you guys do it. splitting lanes makes me nervouse as hell.

2006 Red and Black with 1100 miles just bought three weeks ago. Had a 04 GSXR 600 before this and rode to work every chance I could. I put about 12000 miles on the 600 most of these miles were to and from work. It's about 17 miles one way for me mostly semi-rural until 3 miles from work then I get into a lot of school traffic. I have a 1/2 mile straight on the way to work with no driveways or side roads that I love to rip the throttle on. It kinda gets the day going. The acceleration on this thing is addictive.

I reside in South Carolina. The weather here is perfect for motorcycles pretty much year round a little cold Jan through Feb.

Riding to work is about the only way I can get seat time. I have three boys that occupy most of my free time school, little league etc. So dedicating a Saturday or Sunday to riding is tuff.

Just so this does not drop off too far...

I had a great "commute" ride yesterday. 170 miles round trip. I had to go and pick up computer parts, deliver/install them, drop off an afu laptop, and finally rescue a business' network. Each customer/stop was abot 10 miles apart and the parts where on the other side of the bay from me. Lots of highway, a bit of tame twisties, and some gravity riding.

Normal equipment: Helmet = Arai, Jacket = Kilimanjarno, Glove = TourMaster, boots = GI steel toes, my backpack with laptop and my new Nelson Riggs tailbag mounted to the Rennetech rack.

Motorcycle: 04 LE Turbo busa
Average Commute: 3-5 miles and commute past sheriff's dept and police dept

no arrangements, park in back of lot, back wheel to curb.

30 people in building, no one rides. of my dui clients, only about 10 +/- have bikes

WI riding season: usually Late Feb through Early Dec. depending on salt conditions and snow. salt = no ride

cool.gif

Bike: 2003 Anniversary
Distance: 36 Miles each way ( About 1:15 each way with Mucho Traffic!)
Frequency: About 3 times a week.
Parking: Luckily I get to park in the garage at work. We have a special section for motorcycle parking. Several thousand people in our bldg. and only maybe 10 riders. Most cruisers.
I wear my Icon Tarmac jacket, Icon gloves, and my Joe Rocket boots. The boots sure do save the shoes!
I carry my laptop and accessories in a backpack. Also use my tank bag every day. It a Tour Master. Usually carry a few extra tools to go along with the stock set.

Flat spots are a definite. Granted I have the D208s on it and I'm not real happy with them. Maybe try the Pilot Powers next.

All in all, with the gas prices going up, I will be riding more often.

My name is jasonbusa. I am also a commuter. I only drive my '05 about 10 minutes each way. I wear my boots and jacket and take my tank bag with me. I don't carry anything with me such as tools that might get me out of a bind, except the good old cell phone and wallet. 95% of my drive is on the highway in which people drive approx. 75-80. I would normally drive about 90, but have slowed down lately because of the LEO's that are out. I'll normally drive about 70 now in a 60 and get passed up. I constantly scan my mirrors to prevent the unexpected. I will normally punch the throttle if someone starts to ride beside me in order to get ahead of them or just let them pass. At work I park in a designated area with one other Busa and a Katana 600. The other dozen bikes are Harley's with one Yamaha V-Star. On my way out the gate I constantly get red lighted for a vehicle search. The security enjoys this; not much to look at. They think I should play the lottery with as much luck I have getting the red light.

Bike: 2004 Blk/Purple simple mods
Area: Cary/Raleigh NC
Distance:65 miles give or take about 10 depending on traffic and route I take..takes about an hour and is mixed between country roads, a small town, Highway, city construction and back to a highway....
Freq:As often as I can when the weather permits
Parking: We have a painted area for our bikes w/security and there is a covered area but I dont like the distance away from my building
Other riders: I am going to guess anywhere from 15-30 of them. Of course not all at once and alot of us are 24/7 groups with shift work so any given day can yield a diffrent amount of riders. Some I know. Some I dont want to know.
Gear:A-stars Ice Jacket, either Icon Tarmac/Joe Rocket Phoenix 3.0/Icon Superduuty gloves(depending on weather), Icon superduty boots or over the ankle Dr. Martins, and a HJC helmet(soon to be a Shoei because well the HJC vents like a brick wall). I have 2 mp3 players and will carry either one depending on the ride time or if i am riding after work and just not straight home.
If I am packing my lunch I take the hump off and bungie net my lunch bag on the back seat. I also have a Joe Rocket manta bag for my cell, wallet, other keys, sun glasses, eye drops etc. I am planning on getting a Cortech bag because I want to start packing gym clothes with.

I take extra caution in the traffic and have zero clue what you guys are talking about with "squared tires". The only advice I can give is to have more than one way to get to work if possible because traffic sucks and not all states let you share lanes. Also when I come up to a car I try and give my self more than one place to go should they drop their cellphone, spill their coffee, have to turn the page on their book or smear their lipstick. I also try and clear highway traffic and stay in a nice buffer zone between the packs. Just try and ride smart and stay alive.

'06 with just 450 miles. Bought last week. 100 mile round trip.
Made the ride 3.5 times already. Bought to offset 15 MPG Suburban, and to kick azz. 30 people here at work. 5 have bikes. 3 ride to work on a somewhat regular basis. Boss is installing covered bike parking for 2 Harley's, and 1 Busa
biggrin.gif

My ride is 95% country roads. Takes me 60 minutes to ride 50 miles. Always ride in full gear. (almost always - sometimes not at lunch)

I love it!!!!

I rode in again today- I don't think "full riding gear" is in order unless you have a lengthy commute. I'm not saying to go underprotected by any means- However my commute is only about 25 min on normal roads with stoplights, so I don't see the need for anything more than a padded jacket and a helmet/gloves.

Now if you're riding every day on an interstate to work, that's a diff story..

BUSAFETT

'05 with PCIII and Yoshi 4n1

Commute 27mi each way average of 4 days/week, mostly interstate average about 40 minutes.  Don't lane split in the heavy traffic (might cost me 5 minutes, but it's much safer).  Just get in the left lane and keep it there (unless someone is just really dogging it, then pass on the right and back into the far left lane - seems safer, limits the threat axes to one side and front/back vice both sides).

Rain's the biggest problem here in South Florida - from May to Oct we get rain most afternoons, but it usually just rains like hell for 20 minutes then it's over - check weather.com radar and plan the ride home accordingly.

Full gear (weather dependent - mesh jacket 10 months, leather jacket 2 months, gloves to match) including Gerike overpants, boots (I keep dress shoes at work)(and a change of clothes just in case!), foam ear plugs and a EXO-700.

Cell Phone and tank bag for essentials like lunch and a half cover to keep the rain off.

I have a designated parking spot right in front of the building, we have a security guard that watches the bike pretty closely - one other 'rider' in the building - a 50cc scooter.

I strap my gym bag on the passenger seat and stop at the gym on the way in to work most mornings, park right on the sidewalk there

<!--EDIT|Icy1
Reason for Edit: None given...|1148664765 -->

Motorcycle: Modified 2005 Black and Silver

Average commute to work/ miles: 50 miles each direction.

Average time to work: 45 minutes to an hour depending on traffic

Has work made special parking arrangments for motorcycles?
Yes, but unfortunatly in direct sunlight. Security is provided 24 hours.

Average number of fellow co-workers that ride? Actually quite a few. I'd say on a good day there are 15 to 20 bikes. Utah is a nice place to ride.

What gear do I bring with me? The Wasatch front is in one long populated strip, so I'm not very conserned about getting stranded. We also have emergency response vehicles the patrol for stranded motorists. I usually make sure I have the following:

- Cell phone (with ICE number correctly labeled and easy to find)
- Standard tool kit
- Wallet with gas card, identification, insurance and registration.
- First Gear mesh kevlar ride jacket
- Icon Super Duty 2 boots
- Joe Rocket Carbon Fibre Phoenix gloves
- HJC CL-14 Smoke Helmet
- Hear-O's earplugs
- Good ol' jeans
- Backpack

No riding tips as of yet, other than don't get smeared by cagers.

<!--EDIT|pseudo
Reason for Edit: None given...|1148682103 -->

Motorcycle: 2006 Hayabusa
Average commute to work/ miles: 25 miles each direction
Average time to work: 20-30 minutes

I ride to work everyday...rain or shine. With about 360 days of sunshine a year, it makes sense. The summers are brutal here with average temps in the 110s with the occasional 120 degree days. That translates to hellish conditions on the ground in traffic. Thankfully, my route to and from work avoids gridlock. My tank bag holds all my essentials like food, water, windex wipes, etc... The hump holds my tire repair kit and insurance paperwork.

I like to get to the far left lane (the HOV lane here) as soon as possible so that I only have cars on one side of me and I can swerve into the break down lane in an emergency or to haul AZZ around slower commuters.

I wear a Body Armor shirt under my mesh jacket. It wicks up sweat off of your body and acts like a/c when your moving.

mortorcycle:2002 Busa no mods
Commute to work/54 miles each direction
Time to work/45 min
Time to home/1 hr to 1 1/2 hrs

Freq/ 5 days a week.I'm allways checking Weather ,I'll ride in rain but,don't like to ride in stormy weather w/ winds above 40mph

One fellow biker at work . He rides a dirt/streetbike .There's no special parking for us ,we usually share the same parking space

Gear /FirstGear meshjacket and pants /Alpine Boots/Joe Rocket gloves/HJC helmet ,I wear headsock and earplugs this helmet is low quality,the wind noise is unbearable
Leave for work about 3:30 A.M. no traffic .I stay out of H.O.V. at this time of the morning ,because
no one is in it.I like to have some type of warning of debri or hazards ahead.

Lots of traffic on home commute .H.O.V and lane splitting ,a must for me.Bike gets hot if don't split

On the tire issue, I used to get flat spots on the front tire /but since i've been using BT014 dual compound
tires front and back,I get more mileage and no flat spots

Back