Which pants to wear for protection?

Rocketman

Registered
Hi everyone,

After reading the posts about making sure we ride protected, I started looking at pants. I have look at leathers and textiles of every kind and stand confused more today than ever. I need your advice.

What's comfy, what's not? What about wearing them to work and changing into business clothes when I arrive?

Which do you recommend for weekend twisties yet wearable for a daily commute in hot weather and why?

Leather Track pants with pucks?
Leather overpants?
Leather-Tex pants?
Textile pants?

Brands, styles... help! AHH!

I've been struggling with that same question as Shawn.  I'm looking forward to taking my new 'Busa to work when the weather breaks, but the only part of my riding gear that isn't up to spec is my riding pants.  I know leather is very good protection, but I don't have a good place to change yet (I'm looking for a closet someplace
smile.gif
 ) and I'm not sure if I can deal with the leather pants *look* (please don't flame me too much, I might end up going leather regardless of how I think it looks).

Maybe some larger textile pant that I could wear *over* my dress pants.

Go with some mesh overpants with removable waterproof liner. You can wear them over dress/casual pants without having to change. You can leave out the liner for most days but if a shower is likely you can install the liner. A matching jacket compliments the pants and when the liner is out they are cool and add protection. There are many brands, so start searching the internet or find somewhere that carries some or go to a trade show and try them on.

<!--EDIT|Greg B
Reason for Edit: "cause I can"|1140617946 -->

I'm not sure there is a good answer to this question...really depends on your riding style. I don't commute on my busa, when I go, it's recreation time.....it's on! So, I'm dressed out for the crash....
tounge.gif
I think a guy really has to go to one of the bigger cycle shops where there is a good selection of stuff to try on. Sometimes it's pretty tough to shop online unless ya know what it is ya want. If you commute and need a pant to go over work clothes, the alter ego pant is a great choice. Vanson has a really neat bunch of jackets, both textile and leather, under "suzuki" specific catagoy....and pants to go with them. New enough gives a product review along with each of it's items, I found it really handy.

Gear isn't cheap, so I would go for what will work for everything.

I do trackdays, canyons, and commuting.  A one piece isn't very comfy for restrauants and harder to change in and out of for commuting.  But you need at least a 2 piece(jacket/pants) that can zip together for trackdays.  And you can take the jacket off when you go into restrauants and its easier to get in and out of when changing for work.  Plus I only need to carry flip flops and shorts for my work clothes  
tounge.gif

I would go all leather unless your in a real cold climate, in which case you'll probably need two different types of gear for summer and winter.  SoCal doesn't have any seasons  
biggrin.gif

So for me a 2 piece that zips together is the best choice.  You just have to figure out what works best for you.

<!--EDIT|Charlesbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1140623712 -->

You really need to find a LARGE dealer and checkout all your Options.
I know there are alot. And don't be cheap.......get what you really like.
Because it will last you a long time if you do!

First Gear HT overpants..... mesh/liner for 4 season riding! Can be worn over your work clothes, plus zips into jacket and can be zipped up the side to allow easier removal/entry. Lots of choices out there. So really comes down to rider preference.

Wear two piece leather in all but the hottest weather. I have the Joe Rocket mest jacket and pants for hot days. Check out newenough.com for some great deals.

+1 on the firstgear ht overpant. Good stuff right there and they keep me plenty warm even down to 20* over just a pair of Levi's for the ride to work. I don't even use the liner. And on top of that they are super easy to get in and out of.

anybody got those draggin jeans?
reinforced blue jeans
on the ad a dude is being drug down the street behind a pickup wearin them

Lots of good ideas.  I like the FirstGear HT Air 2.0 pants (with optional armor).  They will suit my needs for riding to work.  I'll be ordering a pair tomorrow.

Thanks all!

I only have a short commute to work about 22 miles round trip, so I usually go with jeans, boots, jacket, gloves, helmet. For the twisties its full leathers with armour....either a one piece or track pants and jacket.

Alpinestars Bat Pants.....also very comfy but without the knee sliders
wink.gif

36_32PABAT_N.jpg

I always found that huggies underpants are the best...
Just joking but funny .. Im looking to get a pair of mesh riding pants I have leather and cortech right now

Awesome information. I did what one of ye said and went into a large dealer that just rec'd a new shipment of sport apparrel.

Wow! The manufacturers are stepping up to the plate this year with gear. I mean, holy cow! Even Joe Rocket has some really nice looking pants out this year. Better cuts, designs, protection... Way to innovate iCON! They brought a lot of other makers up in terms of innovation and design. IMHO.

What I found, is that many who have not changed their cuts, still come up to my belly button... Really high-waisted pants! I'm no fatty - but I carry my share around the waist and that was like a fat holder for me... didn't like the feel of it and would make the jacket ride high if zipped together.

MotoGP - yeah... they have the idea. They have reduced the waist height substantially. They fit me like my jeans in terms of the feel around the waist. And the quality was awesome. Check out the Apex or the Leather Tex. Two thumbs up.

Cortech Tour Masters (is that right?) - really light-weight perforated leather. But again - the higher waist. If I can find a better fit at the top, those leathers seem the most airy and comfy for the commute to work while giving me great protection during the weekends.

I did not get to see the Alpinestars listed here. (BA Busa?) Those pants look like they have the lower waistline like the motoGP's... I want to try those. I'd like to see them on someone. Bat Pants and Teknic's - again - high waists, abundant amounts of leather... yikes!

Overall - talk about large, heavy, pants! Most are a cross between adult diapers and snowboard pants. No wonder so many people still ride in just jeans.

newenough.com was awesome. Thanks for sharing that info. I'll keep trying on pants and see if I can find some more that are great.

At this point - my money is on MotoGP for a guy with my dimensions - 5' 9" 185lbs 34" waist - 35" belly. (stupid desk job.)

Boy keep bringing on the info about this. It seems that there are a lot of guys trying to figure this one out. Even the guys at the shop were unsure. I would like more feedback from those that have invested in something and wear them weekly.

Thanks! I love this site.

<!--EDIT|shawn
Reason for Edit: None given...|1140702011 -->

I've got a pair of Icon recon jeans, pretty nice for a 90 degree day. They have good venting, are triple stitched, and have some sort of really stinky (kevlar?) reinforcement in the ass and knee areas. They run small at the waist, otherwise fit very nice. However, after a long ride, I've noticed the ole twig and berries are a bit sore, could have a little more room in the crotch area......
down.gif

What you wear has little to do with how you ride, it's about how you crash! If you are wise, you will always dress ready for a crash. So many guys on here spend their bike money on their bikes curb appeal and totally forget about their physical curb appeal once they have crashed in poor gear.

I have had some really hard crashes wearing good gear and thus far (Knock on wood) have always walked away with only my pride damaged.

I wear Dianese pants and jacket for street. You'll spend a grand for the pair but when you crash, it becomes money well spent.

Back