Commute to work on your busa

2001 suzuki hayabusa blue/silver

avg. commute 90 miles each way

commute season: march-november

i generally follow the same rules as HT_USMC.
i take if very easy in to the boston metro area.

gear: *icon neo daytona leather jacket black/ white stripe
*alpinestars leather boots black
* alpinestars sp1 leather gloves blue/white
* icon mil spec yellow vest. * i highly recommend for highway use ,very noticeable ,and you can stick your fast lane pass right on your chest instead of the bike.
* arai quantum f helmet blue/white/black
* xm myfi and sony buds for the long haul
* protective pants are on my list soon!
good topic valuim!

nick

I ride roughly 3 times a week. One way 12 miles. Memphis, TN. Only in good weather (I'm a wimp when it comes to riding in the rain ... mainly because it gets the bike so dirty fast ... and it must be clean before I ride it again). A couple of guys commute to work where I'm employed but not as much as I.

I use a backpack:
camera
lunch + snacks
extra shirt or T-shirt
1" binder for work stuff
CD case for music and work stuff
two or three multi-tools
cell phone (of course)
mag cards for work entry
... and a couple of other undefined items
... 'bout it

I've got to ride as much as possible to work with these high gas prices to help pay my cycle insurance.

I sure wish I had the route BusainSD has. My dream now is to go to Sturgis for the rally.

MY MSF class instructors told me any bike is welcome at Sturgis. Is this true? Are sport bikes just as numerous at the Sturgis Rally as HD's and custom chops
rock.gif

Commute to work ... its fun, its stress relief, and its just fun ... oh, i already said that.

nim

'03 Busa
HMF Dual
Bagster Tank Cover and Tank Bag
17,000 miles
45 miles one-way
Combination of back roads and city roads
I'm the only 2-wheeled commuter at the office
Always wear full gear over my office clothes,
so I've been dubbed the "Xformer" by those who see me.
I have to drive very defensively in traffic because I am
invisible to some cager at least twice a week.
I usually wear a backpack in addition to my tankbag.
I can see my bike in the parking lot from my office, but I
still keep the scorpio alarm activated.

IMG_0005.JPG

1 more thing i'd like to add for a tip is when traffic can get a little hairy w/ the "slinky affect" i generally bail out of the fast (HOV) lane and take it slow in the farthest lane. you would be surprised how much less stressful it is not having to lock up the brakes at 75-80mph in the fast lane.

Bikes: 2000 (Red/Gray) Busa w/96,365 miles
        I ride it daily to work from Vacaville, CA to SF, CA
        Miles round trip = 114

2005 (Red/Black) Busa w/8,925 miles
        I ride it on Fridays to work.
        I ride it every weekend at Lake Berryessa (twistys)

Only problem have been hit a couple of times while
         sharing lane in car pool lanes.  Never gone down,
         just slight faring damage to 2000.

I ride Bridgestone BT020's.  They get really good
         milage for me.  They are also pretty good at lake.

I think Gunny has quite a commute to work,I'm sure he'll post up on this thread.

Bike: 2003 Anniversary Edition.

Mods: See Below.

Commute: Daily, mostly year round weather permitting, 27 miles each way. 15 of which is spent in a line of moderate traffic as the island I live on has one road on or off. There is some consolation as there is a lot of farm land coming and going from the aforementioned traffic zone/chokepoint with lots of little twists ands turns. Sadly my rear tire is squaring off in the center also due to all of the commuting. I am along the I-5 corridor and I hate I-5 with a passion so I try to take a different route home every night that does not involve the freeway! Anyone who has ridden this stretch has seen the Cheese-Slicer’s (Galvanized cables instead of Armco or regular barriers) they use to separate traffic. Never seen it but I would imagine they would make short work of a motorcyclist in a wreck.

Gear: Eclipse tank bag, Joe Rocket Ballistic 4.0 jacket and pants, Arai Corsair with ear plugs, Held Akira Gloves and Bates Sport Racer boots. I carry my Surefire E2E light and my Spyderco Spyderwrench along with the factory tool kit and an assortment of Zip ties and some Electrical tape and my cable lock. I also carry my Palm Tungsten T3 in it’s Otterbox wherever I go so if I do get stranded at least I can listen to some music or play games or?

Fellow Commuters: There are about 6-8 regular Motorcyclists where I work and thanks to some lobbying we just got two more dedicated motorcycle (2 bikes per slot) parking spots right at the front door, right under the surveillance camera and out form under the tree sap!

Advice: Pretend that every car A) contains a chain smoking old hag with a cell phone in her ear B) does not know you exist or are in the vicinity C) is about to have a blow out/ massive oil hemorrhage D) just plain hates your guts and wants to see you dead.

Just wondering, what is tire slime and what is the dark chocolate for?
Tire Slime is a Tire Sealant - non pressurized bottle, so it wont blow up on me on a hot day, or from possibly being punctured from something in my tank bag. If the tire goes flat, or has a hole in it up to 1/4" fill the tire with the bottle of tire slime (16 Oz, should be good for 1 tire) - than use the hand pump to inflate the tire...its a good fix, easy to carry with ya, and just extra insurance if you get a flat.

I take dark chocolate with me for extra sugar. When riding in the rain or below 40F for several hours, and if road conditions are extreme I notice that my blood sugar drops a little from trying to stay so focused on all the potential dangerous variables & the chocolate give a nice little boost to the blood stream. A little square in your mouth goes a long way, and wakes you up just enough to keep you sharp.

Im really impressed with the feedback thus far from this thread. I also tend to weave a little on the Hwy to keep the tire from flat-spotting. Waving to polite cagers, LEO, and Emergency workers is something I try to do.

I always try to look far ahead and than near again several time a minute, otherwise I find myself in a routine of getting tunnel vision. Scan & keep scanning, and never follow a single vehicle for too long, as they tend to forget your there in about 10 seconds.

I also try to do a pre-trip inspection prior to my ride each day, just to make sure all is good. Check chain, tires, headlight, brake and clutch levers just as a safety factor.

Im thinking one of thos Mil-Spec vests would be a great idea to attract a little more attention. I do run HID, and also an ICEMANN yellow Hi-beam bulb all the time...the Yellow really stands out and attracts attention.

My name is Charlesbusa, and I am a commuter.  

62miles round trip, 45mins give or take 20mins.
605-105-405

The worst section of the 405 possibly in the whole country.

Lane split porbably half of those miles, the commute would take at least an 1 1/2 in the car.

Tips, all involve lane splitting,
Always have an exit plan, I am constantly thinking to myself "swerve" or "brake" whichever is the best for the particular scenario.
If I start to daydream, all to easy, I scold myself and start thinking "swerve" or "brake".

I'm hoping to get promoted to Long Beach tower, 8miles, and I'll never take the bike to work again.  I just hope I can avoid being taken out in the in the meantime.
LA freeways are no joke, but sitting in a cage for 3-4 hrs a day is worse than death.

<!--EDIT|Charlesbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1147725738 -->

05 Blue/Silver, 5,500 miles.
Commute: 3 miles one way to Starbucks for a morning cup with friends and to flirt with the young girls on the otherside of the counter!
smile.gif
Park Busa in front so as to be in plain sight at all times!
Formula for keeping rubber side down is to never attempt this trek before 8:00am go-to-work communter traffic has disappeared!
Hey, I know, it's a tough job, but somebody has to do it!!

'05 escalade white busa

I ride to work ten miles then have to go onsite to clients offices about twice a week.

My advice- Be aware of everyone around you. The Busa stops and goes quicker than any car. Get outta the way!

Commute distance= roughly 20 miles one way. Depends on if I do the freeway mix or take the back roads. Traffic both routes is pretty cool, can't complain.

Commute time 25-35 minutes.

Not punching a clock makes it possible to arrive at 8:00 - 8:30ish and avoid the idiot cagers.

Commuting gear: usual protective gear (helmet, joe rocket alter ego jacket, icon field armor under the pants, gloves and boots of course) The occasional backpack for the laptop and lunch if I'm staying in the office.

Parking: about 4 feet from my desk, right out the window. I have the scorpio to keep the birds away but as far as theft, I don't sweat it much that's what insurance is for.

Tools: AAA, wife works about 5 minutes from me and neighbor has and enclosed bike trailor. So with wifes flexible work she can scoot home and pick up the truck and trailor if need be.

Fellow riders:1 guy has a gixxer 750 but haven't seen him ride it much. Kinda tough with his position. Another guy bought a Harley about 2 months ago and has laid it down 3 times. Monday for him goes like this "ME:Hey Ron, how's it going. RON: Pretty good. ME: You ride this weekend? RON: Yes. ME: So did you lay it down again? RON: Yes, again!" This guy scares me.

F.Y.I: Slime is supposed to be put into the tire before you have a flat, not after.

I've been riding in almost every nice day since the weather broke- I don't enjoy the ride as much as I would if it was just a leisurely run, but I've got a 9 month old at home, so getting to ride on my daily commute beats not getting to ride at all..

I also have to hear a bunch of crap from the bike seller alumni crowd, and folks who aren't allowed to have a bike in this lifetime, if I don't ride in - "AW MAN, you didn't ride in TODAY??!! It's BEAUTIFUL out there!!" So, I ride for those who can't [cue the superhero music]
biggrin.gif

BUSAFETT

F.Y.I: Slime is supposed to be put into the tire before you have a flat, not after.
Oh Schnibit...You are so right...I just read the bottle!

WTF was I thinking, and Im not gona have that stuff spin around in there all the time if I don't need it...might off balance things
rock.gif

See this thread has just become super valuable to me...thank you, now I know I have no firckin clue, and have no clue about what Im going to do...and I thought i had it all sorted out.
sad.gif

Forgot to add,
ride to work fully geared, everything.

I bring a change of work clothes in my tank bag.

2003 grey/sliver with 12,400 miles on her
yosh rs3 race slip ons
Garmin GPS e-trex
marsee tank bag

16miles too work 18-22 mins
16miles home 25-30 min dam traffic but i cane lane share
tounge.gif

First off, I'm a so cal rider, things are a little different. I can always tell a new or out of town rider because they sit in rush hour traffic instead of splitting lanes.

Something that has saved my azz, riding in the fast lane, stay to the right of the lane as if you are planning on splitting lanes.

If traffic stops up and you don't notice, you have an out by splitting the lane. Take it or leave it, that's how I ride and you couldn't convince me different.

2001 stocker. AGV jacket SIDI strada's for the warm stuff. First gear suit for cold stuff Widder vest and gloves for the really cold stuff. I carry a back pack with essentials for work + water. 45 mi one way. all desert two lane between hwy 14 and 395. skiier traffic is pure hell in the winter! all holidays suck not knocking skiing but the driving! rabbits and coyotes are big hazards especially when I work graves. HOtter than hell in the summer so I am enjoying the weather right now. My commute rocks! hardly any traffic except for about 15 miles on 395. Serious crusing speeds with some high speed turns thrown in. If I break I call the wife and she brings the trailer. can't keep back tires on her (bike).

Back