Comm Bluetooth & Zumo 550 with XM System

SIGSAUER

Registered
Just got my Zumo 550 with XM and it is a great system but Im considering getting a Bluetooth comm system for it. I have no idea which comm system is the best but my main goal is not to be tethered to the bike and still be able to obtain an XM signal without loss in clarity. I've read in a few places that you do lose quality of music when using Bluetooth with the Zumo.

Is this true and if so how much quality is lost and do differant comm systems give different results?

I'd also like to be able to use my Etymotic ear phones instead of speakers. I prefer the clarity that the Etymotics give and the fact that they block out wind noise.

Any suggestions or pointers would be appreciated.

The zumo BT is not A2DP. A2DP is stereo BT. Chatterbox and Scala Rider have new A2DP comm systems. If you are going to use the Ety ear phones the 2 above systems have a comm jack port on the helmet attachment. It will still be non stereo or you can plug the Ety into the zumo port directly and get stereo. The 3rd option is both of the above units have a blue tooth atachment you can buy separately that, I'm thinking attached to the zumo would stream A2DP to the headset. No wires from the bike to you. Check Webbikeworld.com they have reviews and pics of all the parts.:welcome:

Or, the new Zumo is A2DP Compliant...

Yeah I'm not going to be getting the new 660, if they had the XM I would have bought it but obviously Garmin decided to take a step back and remove options. The lkargest reason I bought the 550 was so I didn't have to run a XM reciever and a GPS to get what I wanted.

Does anyone know if I can run a connector to the Zumo and the Chatterbox. I'd lose the wireless capability but I'm wondering if I'd still get the music in stereo, bike to bike communication, phone, and GPS prompts.

Thanks

Connect it to an Autocomm, by far the best overall package...

+2 I will be adding a Zumo to my autocomm setup...

OK,

if I went the Autocom route how much would I pay to have all the functions of bike to bike, XM, GPS, and phone. Also would the GPS still be able to control all the functions. I can't find much on the Autocom system other then I keep hearing it's expensive. Also it looks like there are a lot of cables to make it work.

Not that I won't consider it but this is something that will not be used enough to justify spending a lot more money then the Chatterbox system.

Thanks

Good info here guys, I am starting to look around at same equip, have zumo 550, just wanna get bluetooth and intercom stuff.
Posted via Mobile Device

Yeah I'm not going to be getting the new 660, if they had the XM I would have bought it but obviously Garmin decided to take a step back and remove options. The lkargest reason I bought the 550 was so I didn't have to run a XM reciever and a GPS to get what I wanted.

Does anyone know if I can run a connector to the Zumo and the Chatterbox. I'd lose the wireless capability but I'm wondering if I'd still get the music in stereo, bike to bike communication, phone, and GPS prompts.

Thanks

i've got the Zumo 660, the ChatterBox GMRS X1 Bluetooth, and a Blackberry...bike to bike communication, cell phone, GPS directions, MP3 player in the Zumo, no connecting cords, and the music is in stereo

linky to Chatterbox info (don't know anything about the vendor, just linking for the info)

Decided to go Autocom wired system, it will be here next week. I'll let everyone know what I think of it when I have sometime on it. It just started snowing, so hopefully the sun comes out again and this doesn't turn in to the end of my riding season.

AutoComm?

wait till after the first of the year....

a bit of insider info says that there is something new coming this way from AutoComm... (worth waiting for from the birdie that spilled the beans)

You might query UncleSteve on this too... he has spent a lot of time working on these setups.. :)

Back