clutchless shifing?

NearDeath

Donating Member
Registered
I have seen many posts come by in the last year on doing a clutchless shift and how it is completely harmless to the bike.

I was out cruising the bike last week and I decided to give this a shot. I was in 5th gear and I gently, but firmly tried to shift without using the clutch into 6th. Seemed to me like the clutch was pretty firm in place and even with a little force didn't want to pop... What gives on all this?

Cloud

You have to time it exactly as you momentarily let off the throttle. It takes time. If you do it right its lovely, if you do it wrong it's expensive!!! Don't do it!!
laugh.gif

I see your problem already.... shifting without the clutch is used alot in racing... don't be afraid to slam your foot into the next gear.

Get on the gas like your racing and back off the throttle for a split second as you click to the next gear and back on the gas...  easy as pie.

<!--EDIT|fstbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1084493834 -->

not sure what year your riding, cloud, but one of my local dealers told me that they will convert the yellow passing headlight switch to momentarily cut the power - this would be a lot quicker than rolling off the throttle. even if you have, say, an '02 or earlier, you could change the stalk out to give you this button. depends how important it is to you i suppose.. for racing, i think it'd be great. ah, who am i kidding, it'd be great for the street too!
biggrin.gif

Hit the gas as others have suggested and the released tension on the plates when you let up for a split second will let it shift silky smooooooth!
wink.gif

i have tried this too, in lets say 2 or 3rd gear, and its stiff as poop!!! i cant get it to pop in, dont want to hurt my baby, but i was pull on the shifer pretty hard. ist a 03', iam goin to the strip for the first time in a week or so, so i wanted to learn how to do it? can u mess stuff up? thanks

yeah if you miss a gear and you back on the gas you can mess something up.... my bike shifts flawlessly without the clutch... I think you guys are too easy on it.... all it takes is a blip off the throttle... some good force to shift it up outta gear and into the next and your back on the gas within 0.5 sec.

the trick is to get it to start coming outta gear as the bike starts to slow down and back into gear just before you start accelerating again.
tounge.gif
good luck. I never shift with my clutch on my dirt bike.

I put pressure on the shifter as I am accelerating, then when I am ready to shift just let the off on the throttle for the tiniest bit of time while keeping pressure on the shifter, and it should slide right in. It works for me anyway.

and I notice from 5 to 6 seems to be the "longest shift", I almost feel it click twice from 5 to 6.

yea, I am really hesitant now... definetly don't want to jack stuff up and this really isn't that important to me. Maybe when I have extra cash rolling in and can afford to break it, then I will give it a shot.

You guys are making it a lot harder than it is.

Wide open throttle........let up for a milisecond.........bump the shift lever........back on the throttle! You will know when it is a good one because it will be silky smoooooooth and much faster!

Don't let the bike start to decelerate when you shift. Gas on......gas off, shift......gas back on!
wink.gif

It works the exact same as an air shifter, except the shifter is doing it faster than you can think about doing it.

What are the chances of breaking stuff if I don't do it exactly right? What would be more then likely to break if it is done wrong?

Trying to way the potential price against the benefit.

There's always a chance of messing something up...................but it's the same chance if you screw up clutching and try to throw her in gear too early..........not really much different(ever try to shift, but didn't quite pull the clutch in far enough?). The bike doesn't really know any different. The gears are already synced to be changed...........you just need to take the tension off the drive by letting up on the throttle a bit. Just do it right...........the bike really won't want to shift if you don't let up on the throttle!!!!! Just remember, don't ever force anything!!! It works great!!!
biggrin.gif

There's always a chance of messing something up...................but it's the same chance if you screw up clutching and try to throw her in gear too early..........not really much different(ever try to shift, but didn't quite pull the clutch in far enough?).  The bike doesn't really know any different.  The gears are already synced to be changed...........you just need to take the tension off the drive by letting up on the throttle a bit.  Just do it right...........the bike really won't want to shift if you don't let up on the throttle!!!!!  Just remember, don't ever force anything!!!  It works great!!!
biggrin.gif
"Just remember, don't ever force anything!!! "

I have found that out the hard way more then once, now I am reluctant to force anyting...
smile.gif

I shift without the clutch all the time. I learned to do it on my GSX-R 600 but it works just as good on the 'Busa. The trick, I've found, is pre-loading the shifter. Then there's no timing involved at all. You just apply steady pressure to the shift lever and then back off the throttle for a split second when you're ready to shift.. It pops right into the next gear and is much smoother than using the clutch. It works great.

Back