Tried the clutchless shifting......

I think clutched upshifts put more strain on the tranny than clutchless because rpm don't match with clutched most of the time, while the clutchless automatically occurs when rpm matches.

This is sooooo correct. I think it's the hamfisted, noob performed, full throttle, rpm mismatched, clutched upshifts from 1st to 2nd that are responsible for most of the rounded off engagement dogs and bent shift forks and not any inherent design flaw in Suzuki's transmission or well executed clutchless upshifts.

Flame suit on. :moon:

cheers
ken

Last edited:
I think clutchless 1-2 and 5-6 are just fine - you just need to preload the shifter like you mean it and not baby it. Being too light on the shifter is likely to show itself 1-2 and 5-6.

A number of times, I've done clutchless 1-2 purposefully close to red line - and not a hickup. I think most of those poor clutchless shifts occur when a rider gets tired/distracted and doesn't realize that the preload of the shifter is very weak. I guess that's one reason why many racers switch to GP shifting - when you press down on the shifter to upshift and vice versa.

Heck I was at a track day this weekend, and messed up a couple of shifts - I think because it was pretty hot. Once I started paying attention, it all went back to normal.

Now, I still didn't get an answer to my newbie question about normal downshifts and blipping. I always downshift first and then blip the throttle. Is the right way to downshift WHILE blipping?

Last edited:
I would say from the little experience I have. its all very fast but first you clutch a milisecond before you you blip the throttle to than down shift. goes a little like, chutch with throttle blip to down shift. Try it out you should get it, its not that hard. help alot when you are approaching a corner at a very high speed and need to slow the bike down as quickly and safely as possible. your RPM will stay up there to help slow the bike.
As far as clutchless shifting I do upshift with out the clutch not so often but sometimes I do do it.. BUT down ****fting is a NONO..
when you down shift without the clutch you are FORCING the gear into place. JUST LOOK AT THE TOP LEVEL RACING ROSSI, STONNER, JORGE, PEDROSA, all clutch to down shift... :thumbsup:

Now, I still didn't get an answer to my newbie question about normal downshifts and blipping. I always downshift first and then blip the throttle. Is the right way to downshift WHILE blipping?

Well, I was going to answer this for you until I got to thinkin about it and now I can't remember which I do... Sorry. I'll post up after my next ride, unless someone else posts up first.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited:
Well, I was going to answer this for you until I got to thinkin about it and now I can't remember which I do... Sorry. I'll post up after my next ride, unless someone else posts up first.
Posted via Mobile Device

Oh, come on! Sit in a chair, close your eyes, make a vrooom-vroom sound and see what you hands are doing. :rofl:

Oh, come on! Sit in a chair, close your eyes, make a vrooom-vroom sound and see what you hands are doing. :rofl:

Well I was kinda sittin in the dentist's chair when I posted that reply, so I was slightly preoccupied... I just got home.
Posted via Mobile Device

OK, now it makes sense why you couldn't remember. :lol:

:laugh: Well, growing up with a dentist for a dad. . . I don't exactly mind going. I do still hate the scaling though (scraping your teeth with the pick to get the calcification and tarter off). But I'm still not sure if I blip after downshifting, just before letting the clutch out, or if I do it during or just before the downshift. . . I'd go find out right now, but it's 97 degrees outside. I'm a firm believer in ATGATT, and I don't have any perforated gear. So I won't be riding till later tonight when it cools down some. Sorry friend.

That's all right. I am in no hurry.

Just got back from a short ride. Blip the throttle right as you pull in the clutch, and as you're shifting. That way you not only keep from upsetting the bike during the downshift, but it also helps match the engine/transmission speed to make the shift smoother. HAPPY NOW?!:laugh:

Blipping the Throttle
What some people find much easier -- and I would like you to try out to see if it works for you -- is to blip the throttle as you downshift. The sequence is: pull in the clutch, and as you shift just blip the throttle hard with the ball of your hand (like you were trying to impress someone on the sidewalk), then let the clutch out. You'll find that if you blip the throttle hard enough, the revs will match themselves. Also, because the revs match so well, you'll need only a slight touch on the clutch to make the shift.
Try this first with the engine off -- squeeze the brake lever hard, and practice rolling the throttle with the ball of your hand. You should be able to maintain a constant pressure on the brake lever while you're doing this.

Multiple Downshifts
To make things more complicated on the track, most of the time you'll be shifting down more than one gear. There's a number of ways to handle this.
What I normally do on a very familiar bike is to keep the clutch in and blip the throttle for each downshift. That does increase the chance of ending up in the wrong gear if you miss a shift, so if you're going to get away with this you need to know the bike well enough to detect a missed shift without having to let out the clutch.

Unless you have that level of confidence, you'll be more secure releasing the clutch for each downshift. If you're not blipping the throttle, in fact, you really need to do this to make sure you're matching the revs properly.

Multiple shifts take time, so it's best to start downshifting as soon as you can, when you start braking. Most modern bikes slow down rapidly enough to change down all the gears as quickly as you can, but to start out allow more distance for braking and shifting until you are sure you won't over-rev the motor doing this.

Thanks for the detailed explanation. I think I've done that a number of times a while back, but somehow as time went by I slipped back into blipping after the shift. Will try to practice more. :thumbsup:

Or one can just leave it in 3rd and use the endless wave of busa torque to get you from corner to corner.

cheers
ken

I don't use my clutch between 2-6, but I do use it to downshift and to change from 1-2. The ride is waaaaaayyyy smoother without using the clutch.

Back