Tried the clutchless shifting......

Kaptain Kanji

Registered
I've been doing that clutchless shifting the last couple rides and actually it works out pretty good and smooth.!!
I try to avoid doing it between first and second though as it can get a little ugly for ME.!!
Downshifting works even smoother than upshifting and is really nice for rolling up to the stop signs. Saves wear and tear on my left hand tendons which I damaged again this spring. (Another bike story).

with amount of miles on your bike Commuta, I guess it wont hurt, huh? still a little skidish about it.
Posted via Mobile Device

I just can't bring myself to try it.... I'm skeered :laugh:

I don't like to see metal shavings in my oil when I change it :whistle:

ive done it a few times....the way i look at it...clutch=cheaper than tran. just like brakes=cheaper than engine repair.

The only time I touch my clutch is to stop or start... I might be doing more damage ... I dunno :dunno:

I try not to down shift that way.. but I am guilty of doing it occasionally.

When I shift without the clutch, my engine goes &^&%$@#^&%$@#^&%$@#.

That's ok, right? :laugh:

i do it form time to time, just a little blip and click right in to gear. will not do it from 5th to 6th though.?. i donno why. once ran down the interstate in 5th for 20mi thinkin i was in 6th. just gotta use the clutch to get into 6th.

I think clutched upshifts put more strain on the tranny than clutchless because rpm don't match with clutched most of the time, while the clutchless automatically occurs when rpm matches.

Downshifting clutchless is a no-no. Done it a few times when moving slowly and with the throttle shut, but never otherwise.

Now, I have a silly newbie question about normal downshifts and blipping. I've always would downshift first and then blip the throttle. Is the right way to downshift while blipping?

I saw a show on T.V. and they were saying motorcycles are not like cars, and clutchless shifting does not harm the bike at all ?

I was always told as long as you stay away from shifting 1'st - 2'nd you would be fine. I DO like the way it shifts without the clutch, but almost always USE IT

I go clutchless on the up,but don't bother on the down. 1-2 is a gear I Would suggest to not go clutchless on 1-2 until you have the motion perfected. There just to much travel for a novice to tinker with. Also 5-6 can give a false neutral from time to time on some bikes(even using the clutch). It's really easy once you get over the "fear" factor.

Back