Speed Shifting!

BowDown

Registered
I just started messing around with speed shifting (clutchless). Roll off the throttle quick and she slides right in, then back on the throttle. Just bam, bam, bam... all the way to 6th.
laugh.gif
ThumbsUp.gif

I would like to try that, but I have read in here on some other posts that it may cause gear/tranny problems. Sounds like it worked slick for you though.

I have "heard" overwhelmingly that it won't cause any problems. where are you seeing it may be an issue?

I will have to search some posts real quick and link it in here. I read where someone was having tranny problems, and a few posters said it could be from this type of shifting.

If not done correctly, you will bend the shift forks. For me, its not worth the risk of having to rebuild the tranny because of the 2nd gear skip.

? been shifting like this forever...(dirt bike roots) never hurt one yet.. (knock on wood) Only issue I have found on the Busa is a lack of commitment... if you get lazy, there is a false neutral between 5 and 6

? been shifting like this forever...(dirt bike roots) never hurt one yet.. (knock on wood) Only issue I have found on the Busa is a lack of commitment... if you get lazy, there is a false neutral between 5 and 6
Could you explain how you do it the right way ?

Do you let off the throttle just a hair and shift as you do, or do you come all the way off the throttle, etc.. ?

Well I never really thought about how I did it.. most dirt bike riders only use the clutch for taking off or if you get in a tight bind and need a bit of help..

The timing is pretty close but I (and this is at the same time for both things) blip the throttle (unloads the gearbox) and apply a solid shift..

Air shifters do the exact same thing but they are most certain faster by a few milliseconds but do the same thing. IF you have access to a dirt bike that might be a better place to work out the kinks if you have any..

It takes a bit of practice but you can go through the gears pretty darn smooth (if you ride 2 up, turtle kisses will tell you that you are not shifting smooth) You can do sort of a blend of both methods by giving the clutch a short tug if you can not seem to keep the action smooth. (about 1/2 applied)

As posted above, if you have problems with this you could likely do damage so be warned... I just assumed most people did this is all.. do not want to get you into trouble ok?

As posted above, if you have problems with this you could likely do damage so be warned... I just assumed most people did this is all.. do not want to get you into trouble ok?
I have always used my clutch for fear of damaging the tranny, but have often considered trying it.. I appreciate the advice and warning.. Thanks !!

I ALWAYS use the clutch going from 1'st to 2'nd !!! That's where you can get into trouble. In a magazine I read that motorcycle transmissions are not the same as a cars, they only need an interuption in the power, not a pause like a car, and to LEARN, just pre-load the shifter, then blip the throttle (don't chop it all the way off) it's almost just a little more than a thought, and as it shifts get right back on the throttle. I don't like the idea of pre-loading the shifter. But as long as you're not riding for any length of time doing that you should be okay.

I'm not suggesting anyone do this, I'm just saying that's what I do !!

But when doing this I never hit false nuetrals, or catch that 5'th-6'th gear snag. It's just SOOOO SMOOTH !! They say you can do this down shifting as well, but I NEVER have.

I posted in a thread that a dealership was saying that this is what was causing the bent shift forks,

I ALWAYS use the clutch going from 1'st to 2'nd !!! That's where you can get into trouble. In a magazine I read that motorcycle transmissions are not the same as a cars, they only need an interuption in the power, not a pause like a car, and to LEARN, just pre-load the shifter, then blip the throttle (don't chop it all the way off) it's almost just a little more than a thought, and as it shifts get right back on the throttle. I don't like the idea of pre-loading the shifter. But as long as you're not riding for any length of time doing that you should be okay.

But when doing this I never hit false nuetrals, or catch that 5'th-6'th gear snag. It's just SOOOO SMOOTH !! They say you can do this down shifting as well, but I NEVER have.

I posted in a thread that a dealership was saying that this is what was causing the bent shift forks,
+1 on 1st to 2nd and I would like to add 5th to 6th. I always clutch it. Why? Because the knowledge of the Busa guru's have spoken and I am a good student.

beerchug.gif

+1 on 1st to 2nd and I would like to add 5th to 6th. I always clutch it. Why? Because the knowledge of the Busa guru's have spoken and I am a good student.

beerchug.gif
Same method I use except I also do it from 1st to 2nd. I did manage to bend a shift fork by doing this and thought I blew out 2nd gear. This lead me to get my tranny undercut. The good thing is it was only the fork and not the gear that went bad. The better thing is that now that I have all my gear undercut I can do it without a care in the world.

It should also be mentioned that DOWNSHIFTING cluthcless is much more risky than upshifting. I had my tranny racecut but am still too timid to try clutchless downshifting. I don't know the proper method so I don't bother.

beerchug.gif
I agree here at least while you are perfecting your technique.

2nd and 6th gears are not undercut. If you slack on the shift a bit and it is not fully engaged, it likely will not pull itself all the way in like the other gears. If it is not fully engaged it can slide back and out of gear. Repeated time of slipping out under load will round the engagement dogs. It can then get to a point where it will not stay engaged.

The first year I was drag racing mine, I made the 1-2 shift with the clutch and speed shifted the 2-3 3-4 shift as described above for this very reason. I now use an air shifter.

beerchug.gif
Same  method I use except I also do it from 1st to 2nd. I did manage to bend a shift fork by doing this and thought I blew out 2nd gear. This lead me to get my tranny undercut. The good thing is it was only the fork and not the gear that went bad. The better thing is that now that I have all my gear undercut I can do it without a care in the world.

It should also be mentioned that DOWNSHIFTING cluthcless is much more risky than upshifting. I had my tranny racecut but am still too timid to try clutchless downshifting. I don't know the proper method so I don't bother.
Good add on downshifting. proper method for downshifting clutchless is to not do it at all. With that said, I have downshifted clutchless with a steady 1/4 open throttle in an emergency stop a time or two. Would not recommend it though.

beerchug.gif

beerchug.gif

+1 on clutching 1-2, but the rest the key is to PRELOAD the shifter, then just roll off maybe 1/4" and it is DONE. At lower RPMs it is so gentle and seamless a passenger doesn't even know you shifted...
smile.gif

I NEVER downshift without the clutch.

i ONLY DO IT WHEN ACCELERATING FAST,LIKE ENTERING A FREEWAY OR SOMETHING AND ONLY AFTER 2ND GEAR.....PRELOAD SHIFTER AND BLIP IT UP

Back