Clutch Sticking and Grabby

LiBusa

Registered
My clutch is sticking and grabby when cold. After it warms up its fine. First noticed this after bike wash. Right after wash I had trouble pulling clutch lever in. After several pulls it worked better. But now sticking and grabby when cold. Any suggestions or ideas on what could be wrong.

Lube the pivot point on your clutch lever.
Posted via Mobile Device

Maybe the pivot point.

You probably need to flush your clutch reservoir and lines with new DOT4 brake fluid and bleed it. That helped mine a lot. It gets better with use because you are compressing the air in the hydraulic lines, just like pumping your brakes does.

Couple things to note. The hydraulic clutch moves a lot less fluid than the brakes, so it feels different bleeding it compared to the brakes. If you have adjustable brake levers like Pazzos/Chazzos, put them on the highest setting so you get a good stroke on the master cylinder.

Hayabusa's by design get cloudy fluid in the reservoir needing flushed with new fluid annually is a good start .
Also , the plunger rod lives inside the counter-sprocket cover , a dirty / gunky area on any bike .
An annual de-greasing / cleaning of this area is a good idea also .
As mentioned by others , the lever pivot (being exposed to the elements if your bike ever sees rain) likes to be cleaned / re-greased on occasion .

Last edited:
Same Grabby into 1st. Replaced worn inner sleeve and springs. Steels not warped. Disassembled slave and cleaned and bled No change. Thoughts?

Back