Clutch pushrod oil seal & breaking open the engine

Hi. Where do you live? save your $ up and bring or send it to someone who knows what they are doing like GIXERHP
Hi lafave132. I am not saying you can not do it but...……… I am building a high HP Buas and I have worked on race motors for over 55 years but I have never worked so I am having Rick at Harries Machined Parts do mine as I have over $1500.00 in just parts.

Hi. Where do you live? save your $ up and bring or send it to someone who knows what they are doing like GIXERHP
Virginia Beach. Going into it I bought it because I was interested in engines. That's really the reason my buddy sold her to me. He didn't want to take it in and didn't want to open the engine, or life got in the way too long

Virginia Beach. Going into it I bought it because I was interested in engines. That's really the reason my buddy sold her to me. He didn't want to take it in and didn't want to open the engine, or life got in the way too long
The undertaking you engaged in is not for the faint of heart...I've done my own wrenching for a pile of years and I can honestly say what you are doing it beyond my skills.

Sure hope it all turns out for you...it will be great to see it all done..

jep

if i was at that very "late" point, means head and block off, i would do so too - the number of hours you invested to get here are so high that not doing the entire work would be "the top of mountain" nonsense than the job to pull head and block at around 30 00 miles without any faulty behavior of the motor.

new rings, valve seats regrinding until the sealing surfaces shine like new again, valve stem seals new and putting the valve clearances to their maximum acc. to manual at least.
Ya know, all this was going over my head until I separated my head and block and saw the carbon on my valves... how long do piston rings last?

so far I have been pleasantly surprised at how easy the disassembly has been. It's taken about 3 hours to get where we're at. Waiting on the new seals and gaskets is killing me. My brother has been helping and I think by myself I would have been screwed.

I am waiting on the clutch tool to arrive to take that off but I'm wondering, can I separate the crankcase without taking the clutch apart?

If you take your time, do your research, and double/triple check things, you can rebuild this engine easily. The components are not difficult to work with, there are only a few specialized tools required that won't set you back a huge amount of dollars. Utilize the shop manual and you're good to go (with the exception if you're modifying items like adjustable cams, different compression piston/rods, etc).

For what it's worth the first time I built an engine was my busa engine #1, which I built to pro street specs. I beat the poop out of that motor with boost for 5 years before I even took it out of the frame for rebuild last year.

Don't be scared to do it. You'll know what was done, so you'll have full confidence in it.

Couple updates with some pics... so I replaced that little clutch push rod oil seal. Put the suzuki bond around the case where the manual told me, then was buttoning her up and one of the upper crankcase bolts broke. In my frustration I decided eff if, I'll just fill that hole with jb weld. That decision kept me tossing and turning so I drilled that s**t out and am on my way to reopening the case. I'm thinking improper torque. The manual calls for the 10mm crankcase bolts to be torqued to 50 nm if I recall correctly. But I'm thinking these are the crankcase journal bolts that are to be torqued to 20nm....

Do y'all usually turn the engine upside down when you break apart? I kept it topside up and the only hard part was getting the friction plates back on when seating the cases. Also had to take off the piston heads to get the upper away from the bottom.

A couple 'spacers' between my clutch friction plates have a some burn marks. This ok or need replacement?

Also, I wear gloves now I guess

20201121_204116.jpg

IMG_5445.jpg

You gotta slow yer roll BIG TIME and read the manual better. Putting 50 newtons on bolts that should have 20.
Yes turning it upside down would have saved all the grief you are going to face re-assembling the top end,which wasn't necessary.
Not sure what you mean by you had trouble with the frictions when seating the cases. If you are referring to the clutch,that comes later.You can put the whole motor back together then worry about things like the clutch.
The "spacers" between the frictions are called steels or driven plates. The main concern with them is that they are not warped or are to thin. Unless the clutch has been abused,with a low mile motor like this,they should be fine. If this is your first motor re-build,you should slow down.
I would strongly suggest you do this work in a bit cleaner environment than on the floor. Dirt is your enemy right now.
What did you use the nail puller for? Hopefully not separating the case halves. What did you use to pull out the wrist pin clips? May want to replace those.
Rubb.

Alright! Engine is in the bike.... now for hooking it up. Problem 1, my buddy pulled the engine coolant temp sensor wires out of the plastic clip. I see blue and orange.... which one is on top?

Couple updates with some pics... so I replaced that little clutch push rod oil seal. Put the suzuki bond around the case where the manual told me, then was buttoning her up and one of the upper crankcase bolts broke. In my frustration I decided eff if, I'll just fill that hole with jb weld. That decision kept me tossing and turning so I drilled that s**t out and am on my way to reopening the case. I'm thinking improper torque. The manual calls for the 10mm crankcase bolts to be torqued to 50 nm if I recall correctly. But I'm thinking these are the crankcase journal bolts that are to be torqued to 20nm....

Do y'all usually turn the engine upside down when you break apart? I kept it topside up and the only hard part was getting the friction plates back on when seating the cases. Also had to take off the piston heads to get the upper away from the bottom.

A couple 'spacers' between my clutch friction plates have a some burn marks. This ok or need replacement?

Also, I wear gloves now I guess

View attachment 1630193

View attachment 1630194
I hope you turn the the thrust washers the correct way when you put the cases back together, in the pic above they are backwards!

Back