broken piston oil ring in oil pan

markwt

Registered
I have a 05 extended busa with air ride and bottomed out riding one night. After a few hundred yards I realized that my oil pan was cracked when oil light came on. Naturally the engine started rapping a little when oil got low and I shut off right away to prevent any further damage. When I took the oil pan off there was no metal shavings at all but I did find what looks like a 2" curved section of a piston ring. It has marks on one side and looks like an oil ring. I don't see how it is possible for a broken ring to fall out of the cylinder down into the pan. I installed a spacer plate below the cylinders when I turboed the bike, was thinking maybe I cracked it when reinstalling the cylinders but at that point I did not have the oil pan on so it would have fallen to the floor, I hand cranked the engine before I put pan on too so if it was laying up on something it should have fell. I had the bike on the dyno and rode for 2-3 thousand miles after build, no bad sounds or performance. Is it possible this could have been broke the whole time, is there anyway to tell a broken ring with tearing whole motor down?

There is no way to tell until you tear it down!

Back