Chicken strips.

Does that shredding mean the tire is mis aligned??I finally got some of the brown off the edges of my tires.Slowly figuring out this big bike.My buddy on his victory said I got down pretty good on some tight turns on some backroads when he was behind me.I will just take it slow and not prove anything.

I need to get a track day in... Who was doing those days at nelsons ledges?? I wanted to go sometime even if just to watch

Does that shredding mean the tire is mis aligned??I finally got some of the brown off the edges of my tires.Slowly figuring out this big bike.My buddy on his victory said I got down pretty good on some tight turns on some backroads when he was behind me.I will just take it slow and not prove anything.

We have a 2-fast track day this Saturday at Pacific Raceway in Auburn. Come join in on the fun. You'll get that brown stuff on the edges rubbed off :thumbsup:

No, but depending on what the tire looks like it will tell if you suspension is adjusted properly for you. I'm no suspension guy and only have some basic adjustment and tire reading ability.
Dave Moss or the like can look at your tires and tell you exactly what's going on.
The "orange peel" look is what I've been told and understand to be ideal. Overly shredded tires in certain parts of the tire or blueing/hot spots can indacate improperly adjusted suspension, even with a skilled rider.

Calling Tufbusa, I'm sure you can explain this better and maybe show examples.:thumbsup:

I have a loooonng ways to go and much experience to gain.
IMO, you all have given some very good advice, espc. track time as opposed to street.
Not a whole lot for winding roads around here, but there is a place called Mid-America Motorplex that has track days (anyone care to loan me THEIR bike to practice with:lol:).
One thing I noticed that kind of hindered my learning with the last `Busa, was that it didn`t take long to get a flat spot (center of tire), and once that is there, to me the feel it gives on that edge makes me a little uncomfortable.
FWIW- 700 miles on this new bike and my chicken strip measures .737"..hey my dial calipers were sitting there, left side an inch.

one more thing; a friend just got back from a trip to NC, Georgia, TN, pictures of Dragons Tail...man some beautiful country..oh and she said she seen more HD guys spill`n it more than sport riders...she rides a HD Dyna..w/ her dog:)

I noticed that approaching the entrance to a turn when you brake hard the front end sort of stands up and you get a really ambigious feeling until you back off the brake lever and start to counter steer. Is this normal or is it bad suspension setup?

you can see what I'm talking about pretty clearly at 6:10 in this video:

Down the Dragon - YouTube.wmv‬‏ - YouTube[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
Does that shredding mean the tire is mis aligned??

I'm not bright enough to realy read tires yet but that picture that jelly put up looks like some type of rebound issue. The debri build up on the trailing edge of the tread with the leading edge and surrounding area virtually bare indicates something... I'm not sure what lol. As previously mentioned, if everything is set up right it should look like an orange peel. If your riding it hard it won't have that super smooth look to it that you get from riding around on the street.

If you would like to learn more dave moss has put up some neat info on his site, Feel The Track! Catalyst Reaction Suspension Tuning and has some videos up at Motorcycle Howto and Roadracing Coverage on the Web - On The Throttle TV.

I noticed that approaching the entrance to a turn when you brake hard the front end sort of stands up and you get a really ambigious feeling until you back off the brake lever and start to counter steer. Is this normal or is it bad suspension setup?

you can see what I'm talking about pretty clearly at 6:10 in this video:

Down the Dragon - YouTube.wmv‬‏ - YouTube[/url]

Are you talking about trail braking? I find my bikes are a little harder to steer while trail braking but I think it's more because I'm tensing up because of the braking forces rather than a suspension issue. If I ensure my stability is comming from my thighs it's usually not an issue.

If anything the bike should turn sharper while on the brakes because hard on the brakes changes the geometry of the bike.

Anytime your on the brake your loading up the front wheel, maybe that is what your feeling?

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you talking about trail braking?

Anytime your on the brake your loading up the front wheel, maybe that is what your feeling?

No not trail braking. That feels like the front end is stiff but it responds to counter steering normally. This was a sort of feeling like the front is rising and stiff. I had not experienced this until I rode the dragon where I was really scrubbing off speed pretty fast. Basically I was using the stopping then turning method, only trail braking when there was too much speed to get stopped before dropping into the turn.

The bike was still responsive and doing what I asked it to, just didn't feel as stable as the busa normally feels.

Hmm I guess I'm not familiar with that. I can't imagine what would make the front end come up durring braking as all the weight should be transerfering forward and down. Is this right when you apply the brakes or when your letting off the brakes? I know if I'm riding a bike that is undersprung for me I will get alot more travel in the front end than I prefer. The less smooth I am with my aplication of the brake the worse it feels.

Do the brakes feel ok?

Chicken strips..check. The BT003RS sheds rubber like nobody's business. After one track weekend at Barber...It is not all about scuffing off the CS on a tire, but it is quite fun.

IMAG0190.jpg

Turning while hard on the brakes takes a lot of additional muscle. If you are at 100% on the brake, it's almost impossible to turn the bike. You should be 30% or more off the brake when you initiate the turn and trail brake from there.

That's a temperature issue due to improper air pressure. Add a pound or two of air to cool the tire and you'll see the lava flow decrease.

Chicken strips..check. The BT003RS sheds rubber like nobody's business. After one track weekend at Barber...It is not all about scuffing off the CS on a tire, but it is quite fun.

IMAG0190.jpg

i think is somewhere here in the videos section... the guy that gets low enough in a corner to drag his helmet.... thats what ya gotta shoot for

Turning while hard on the brakes takes a lot of additional muscle. If you are at 100% on the brake, it's almost impossible to turn the bike. You should be 30% or more off the brake when you initiate the turn and trail brake from there.

This may be what I was feeling.

Back