Changed to 87 octane

Tio Loco

Donating Member
Registered
I was told to use 87 octane in the Hayabusa tried it does fine except when I come to a stop. While at a stop with the clutch out in neutral the engine has a loud knock coming from it.

Any guesses? Move back to a higher octane?

Other than this problem runs great.

Thanks for the tip, yea the idle was at 800 bumped it up to 1100 seemed to take away the noise.

Thanks Again

I was told to use 87 octane in the Hayabusa tried it does fine except when I come to a stop.  While at a stop with the clutch out in neutral the engine has a loud knock coming from it.  

Any guesses?  Move back to a higher octane?

Other than this problem runs great.
Didn't know we were suspose to use 87.....
ARE WE?

I keep mine at 1250.  You usually notice knock the most when you try to accelerate in a higher gear than usual. It will make kind of a rattling sound. The extra load seems to accentuate the knock. I recently switched from 93 to 87 octane, and I haven't noticed any difference. Course, being old and deaf probably hinders me, but I think 87 octane is fine.

Someone asked if we were supposed to use 87 octane. That's what the instruction books says. You can't hurt anything using 93 octane, but it's just a waste of money.

<!--EDIT|FAVahalik
Reason for Edit: None given...|1130510056 -->

I keep mine at 1250.  You usually notice knock the most when you try to accelerate in a higher gear than usual. It will make kind of a rattling sound. The extra load seems to accentuate the knock. I recently switched from 93 to 87 octane, and I haven't noticed any difference. Course, being old and deaf probably hinders me, but I think 87 octane is fine.

Someone asked if we were supposed to use 87 octane. That's what the instruction books says. You can't hurt anything using 93 octane, but it's just a waste of money.
93 will kill about 2 ponies and waste $$$

Johnnycheese
Hayabusa Legend

Group: Members
Avg posts/day:2.36

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote (FAVahalik @ Oct. 27 2005,21:31)
I keep mine at 1250. You usually notice knock the most when you try to accelerate in a higher gear than usual. It will make kind of a rattling sound. The extra load seems to accentuate the knock. I recently switched from 93 to 87 octane, and I haven't noticed any difference. Course, being old and deaf probably hinders me, but I think 87 octane is fine.

[/QUOTE]

Aint gonna argue with you on this, CHeesman. But the shop manuals says use a min octane rating from 87 to 90 somthing as stated before.

Wouldnt a higher rating give me a cleaner burn and save me some dollars in the long run on maintenance ? I have notice on more than one occasion to get better gas mileage using a higher octane fuel and never had any issue with performance.

Also how will using an higher octane fuel kill horsepower when the Playaz runing hi performance motors uses it ?

Johnnycheese
Hayabusa Legend

Group: Members
Avg posts/day:2.36

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote (FAVahalik @ Oct. 27 2005,21:31)
I keep mine at 1250. You usually notice knock the most when you try to accelerate in a higher gear than usual. It will make kind of a rattling sound. The extra load seems to accentuate the knock. I recently switched from 93 to 87 octane, and I haven't noticed any difference. Course, being old and deaf probably hinders me, but I think 87 octane is fine.

Aint gonna argue with you on this, CHeesman. But the shop manuals says use a min octane rating from 87 to 90 somthing as stated before.

Wouldnt a higher rating give me a cleaner burn and save me some dollars in the long run on maintenance ? I have notice on more than one occasion to get better gas mileage using a higher octane fuel and never had any issue with performance.

Also how will using an higher octane fuel kill horsepower when the Playaz runing hi performance motors uses it ?[/QUOTE]
I notice a considerable shift in mpg when using a higher octane fuel.

I do not notice any performance change, however (though 2 ponies may not be readily obvious).

I normally run 89 octane. Gives better mpg and saves a few bucks per week, as I commute on the Busa. When I know I'm going to be driving steadily for more than an hour, I'll fill-up/top off with 93 octane.

JC correct me if I'm wrong but higher compression requires higher octane, higher octane requires higher heat to burn ( high compression; hotter spark). With that siad a stock motor would not completly burn the high octane, making it a dirtier burn with less HP.

gunnybusa, can you tell me w/ a complete stock bike other than a k&n air filter, would 87 octane not be recommended in my bike? the manual says it is o.k. to use it and i have been for years.
wink.gif

gunnybusa, can you tell me w/ a complete stock bike other than a k&n air filter, would 87 octane not be recommended in my bike?  the manual says it is o.k. to use it and i have been for years.  
wink.gif
87 is the ONLY fuel I have been using for the last 3 1/2 years. I have over 44,000 miles and have not had any major problems .

gunnybusa, can you tell me w/ a complete stock bike other than a k&n air filter, would 87 octane not be recommended in my bike?  the manual says it is o.k. to use it and i have been for years.  
wink.gif
87 is the ONLY fuel I have been using for the last 3 1/2 years. I have over 44,000 miles and have not had any major problems .
thanks boss, i was getting a little spooked there for a second.
Do you put stabilizer in the tank when you store it?

wink.gif
Just what is this stabilizer stuff. Anyone know? If it's so good, why don't the gas mfg.s put it in to begin with? Well, maybe cause their cheap, but does anyone really know if this stuff does anything? Maybe it's like that Marvel Mystery Oil stuff?

stabilizer is used when you are going to store your vehicle for a couple of months. It keeps the gas from going bad and some even keep the tank from corroding .

wink.gif
i do put stabilizer in the bike, but i end up pissing through it because i grab a ride every chance i can get. if the roads are clear, i am out riding.

wink.gif
i do put stabilizer in the bike, but i end up pissing through it because i grab a ride every chance i can get.  if the roads are clear, i am out riding.
GTG! Thats what bikes are meant to do RIDE!!

Back