Octane requirements

even the US spec hayabusa has an oxygen sensor , the oxygen sensor is actually what tells the ecu how to fire the injectors , thats why EFI is better than carb , the engine uses the a/f readout from the oxygen sensor to tell the computer to back off or pump up injector pulses to allow more or less fuel to be injected causing a steady and maintainable a/f ratio no matter the temperate or altitude. it keeps fuel mileage and performance constant and controled.

(camaro69_4542003 @ Nov. 28 2006,17:56) even the US spec hayabusa has an oxygen sensor , the oxygen sensor is actually what tells the ecu how to fire the injectors , thats why EFI is better than carb , the engine uses the a/f readout from the oxygen sensor to tell the computer to back off or pump up injector pulses to allow more or less fuel to be injected causing a steady and maintainable a/f ratio no matter the temperate or altitude. it keeps fuel mileage and performance constant and controled.
It does
rock.gif
and where do you think they are hiding it ?

beerchug.gif
as stupid as I feel for not checking the owners manual for which gas to run I've been putting 93 in for 3000 miles... time to try..

(camaro69_4542003 @ Nov. 28 2006,19:56) even the US spec hayabusa has an oxygen sensor
OK, I could be wrong. So where is it?

There is a Atmospheric pressure sensor and a Intake air temp sensor. I have seen references to a O2 sensor on the European models as well, but not a US spec model.

So batch fire , sequential and bank to bank fire off the O2 sensor??? Damn i need some educating
all_coholic.gif

Engines are designed/timed to use different octane fuels. Try running premium in your lawn mower or a school bus and see how it runs. I now have a turbo so I run premium but I never used it when the bike was stock.

(Gunnybusa @ Nov. 29 2006,06:19) Is it called a boost senor instead of an O2 sensor? Check out #28
02 sensor goes in the exhaust you knucklehead
pissed.gif

most bikes dont have O2 sensors, thats why the fuel map is important it does the job of an O2 just not as flexible.

electrical system, page 7-21 in the manual. Yep no O2 sensor on the wiring diagram.
bluegrab.gif

i've been running 87 in my 01' since day/mile one and no problems. you're good to go! congrats on your new ride and pick up a manual at the "stealer" next chance you get. it can be very useful at times.
beerchug.gif

Always run 87, it's what's in the manual and I've read to many articles about the waste of money using higher octane fuels. I've seen several threads that mention the bike will run hotter on higher octane fuel. If I was going to the strip tonight I'd probably run aviation fuel. Don't know if it would matter.
all_coholic.gif

(dadofthree @ Nov. 29 2006,16:19) If I was going to the strip tonight I'd probably run aviation fuel. Don't know if it would matter.  
all_coholic.gif
Trust me, stay away from the aviation fuel. Likely, it will slow you down. There are much better fuels if you are trying to pick up the performance at the track. I think I'll be racing with VP MR9 or U4 in mine next year.

(Professor @ Nov. 29 2006,21:00)
(dadofthree @ Nov. 29 2006,16:19) If I was going to the strip tonight I'd probably run aviation fuel. Don't know if it would matter.  
all_coholic.gif
Trust me, stay away from the aviation fuel. Likely, it will slow you down. There are much better fuels if you are trying to pick up the performance at the track.  I think I'll be racing with VP MR9 or U4 in mine next year.
+1  
wink.gif
 Aviation fuels are designed and blended to stay at a certaint combustable parameter during quick and massive changes in air density and temps (as in an aircraft climbing from 80 F on the ground to 0 F at 18,000 ft. That's also why you have a manual mixture control to control the leaning process (hopefully using an EGT guage). But in the end, it's NOT (even though you can get 100 oct.) intended to run a car or bike engine and is blended with WAY different parameters. A few years back there was a trend for people to use AUTO (you pick the Oct level) in airplanes when the fuel went to twice that of auto gas. So, what happened, there was a rash of crashes because of the fuel until the FAA approved a new carb., and then the aircraft were limited to the climbing altitude they were allowed to go to. Kinda makes you thing the engineers know more about something than you do, or at least more than I do about THEIR designs  
muscle.gif

Gunnybusa, sir. Would the Busa run or just sit there backfiring if you removed everything from number 8 back on your mechanical drawing?

(Professor @ Nov. 29 2006,21:00)
all_coholic.gif
Trust me, stay away from the aviation fuel. Likely, it will slow you down. There are much better fuels if you are trying to pick up the performance at the track. I think I'll be racing with VP MR9 or U4 in mine next year.
MR9 is 87 and U4 101, both are leaded and oxygenated. So you can't leave the fuel in the system at the end of the night, what if any effect does the lead have on a stock head and/or exhaust system?

MR9 boost @ 15 HP while U4 @ 9 HP

Couldn't find a price for some reason.
poke.gif

(dadofthree @ Nov. 30 2006,14:58) MR9 is 87 and U4 101, both are leaded and oxygenated. So you can't leave the fuel in the system at the end of the night, what if any effect does the lead have on a stock head and/or exhaust system?

MR9 boost @ 15 HP while U4 @ 9 HP

Couldn't find a price for some reason.  
poke.gif
The lead will actually help lubrication of the valve seats. Likely a very small benefit but it use would be of no consequence. The biggest problem with leaded fuels in modern day vehicles is possible damage to the O2 sensor and catalytic converters. This in not a problem with our Hayabusas as we don’t have them!

I can buy U4 locally for $8.50 a gallon, MR9 is closer to $20.

Yes, you do want to remove it from the system, and add pump gas to flush it. I believe you are correct about MR9 @87 but I believe U4 is closer to 91 octane. I’ve heard 8% increase in HP for MR9 and about 5% for U4

There is also a MR10 worth about 10% but it is much higher $$ than MR10 and has a bit less octane.

Back