Chain question

dm_gsxr

Weirdo Freak
Donating Member
Registered
I got a new tire (Bridgestone BT020 rear) and chain back in April while I was on my ride. Since then I've put about 7000 miles on the two. While on my recent trip, I noticed the chain was a bit loose. Like a doof, I didn't bring my socket so I could adjust it. By the time I found a dealer, I was getting some pretty bad chain lash. They adjusted it for me (15 bucks CDN and 2 hours wait time) and I was on my way.

By the time I got to Sturgis, I needed a new rear tire and the frigging chain was pretty much hosed. Very loose again and red oxide all over the wheel so the chain and tire lasted about the same time.

Sounds like I got a bad deal on a replacement chain back in VA (Coleman Powersports in Woodbridge).

I'm going to get a higher performace chain but it sure seems like I went through that chain pretty quickly. BTW, I got a Metzler Sportec rear tire from Sturgis BMW and was raped pretty badly on price ($300 total including a quart of oil). My own fault since I was really stuck and needed a replacement.
smile.gif

Riding style is mainly touring and enjoying the twisities when I get the chance. I do some flicking, especially when passing on two lane roads. No time to dawdle
smile.gif

So does that sound out of the ordinary? The stock chain lasted 18k miles or so. One interesting note, both chains bit the dust not long (coule of k miles) after I cleaned them with kerosene and used an o-ring friendly chain lube. I'm starting to get wary of cleaning and lubing
smile.gif

Carl

smile.gif

smile.gif

that don't quite sound right, a chain should last a bit longer than that. How often do you clean the chain? If you were getting oxidation off of the chain then it should of been lubed before that could happen.
Personally: clean with WD-40, quick ride to heat chain up, spray on Maxima chain wax. I do this every Sat evening and average over 20k to a chain.

that don't quite sound right, a chain should last a bit longer than that. How often do you clean the chain? If you were getting oxidation off of the chain then it should of been lubed before that could happen.
Personally: clean with WD-40, quick ride to heat chain up, spray on Maxima chain wax. I do this every Sat evening and average over 20k to a chain.
I was reading the chain thread at the top and it said that if you're getting the red oxidation then it's time to change the chain.

I hadn't cleaned the stock chain at all until that time before the April ride (about 9 months). I was reading the threads and wanted to make sure I knew what I was doing before doing the cleaning. Getting kerosene and an o-ring friendly lube.

I cleaned the new chain when I got home from the April ride then probably three times since then. The last time was before heading out on the recent ride.

Not as regular as you are but every time I wash the bike I clean and lube the chain.

Carl

A chain could wear out in that amount of time if it was'ent cleaned, lubed and adjusted regulary...either way its toast (oxidation) and im sure you know but replace it before something bad happens..don't mess around with a bad chain on a Busa....every few hundred miles I service mine. 9000 miles so far so good...I got about 22k out of my first chain on my zrx.
smile.gif

I clean and lube my chain every 300 miles. Clean with WD-40 and lube with Maxima chain wax. Since I put the DID ZVM 530 x-ring chain ($140) on, the only time it's adjusted is when I change the rear tire (about evey 2500 miles if I'm lucky) Buy the M1 "p" spec tires off parts411.com. $144 for the rear, like $78 for a front. Love the M1 sportecs but you sure won't get any 7k out of them....

I clean and lube my chain every 300 miles. Clean with WD-40 and lube with Maxima chain wax. Since I put the DID ZVM 530 x-ring chain ($140) on, the only time it's adjusted is when I change the rear tire (about evey 2500 miles if I'm lucky) Buy the M1 "p" spec tires off parts411.com. $144 for the rear, like $78 for a front. Love the M1 sportecs but you sure won't get any 7k out of them....
Yea I know but it was the only tire they had and I couldn't head off to get a different one. By the time I got to the location, I had a half inch of thread showing. I drove 200 miles, carefully since I was in the boonies, until I got to the dealer. I didn't think riding much further was advised
smile.gif

Carl

I find it hard to believe you managed 7000 miles on a chain that was only cleaned and lubed once. I normally clean and wax every 300 miles, although I'm not one of those who worry about it while on a long trip, it'll just get done when I get home.

As others have mentioned, WD40 to clean followed by spray on Chain Wax is the way to go.

I find it hard to believe you managed 7000 miles on a chain that was only cleaned and lubed once. I normally clean and wax every 300 miles, although I'm not one of those who worry about it while on a long trip, it'll just get done when I get home.

As others have mentioned, WD40 to clean followed by spray on Chain Wax is the way to go.
I didn't say that. The chain that was on the bike when I bought it didn't get touched by me until just before the April trip when I cleaned it and lubed it. I did take it in for scheduled maintenance so maybe the dealer cleaned and lubed it for me.

The second chain, bought in April while on a 6k ride was cleaned, lubed and adjusted by me when I cleaned the bike; about once a month.

It sounds like I should clean it about as often as I am but should spray some lube on it once a week.

It's been a long time since I had a chain driven bike and I just recently started getting deeper into maintaining the bike on my own rather than paying 600 bucks to the dealer so I'm bound to make mistakes. That's why the questions.

Since I'm somewhat geeky, I like to know the whys and wherefors too. I mean, if it's an o-ring chain and has lubrication sealed in the chain, what's the purpose of the lubrication? I can see the cleaning part; to get the crud off of the chain. (think think) Is lubing it more for the o-rings, to keep them from drying out and losing the sealed in chain lubrication and thereby the chain lasts longer? Sounds reasonable but is it right?

Carl

Ok, from your wording I figured you put a lot of miles on it over 9 months before going on your trip.

I've always owned shaft drive bikes and find a chain to be a pain in the azz but what are ya gonna do? Hmmm...that K1200S is looking better every day to me.
smile.gif

Technically the chain wax is mostly protecting the chain rollers and links from moisture. As you mentioned there are o-rings which keep the internals permanently lubed.

When the o-rings fail the chain is junk, usually you'll see the kiss of death redish brown dust. WD40 works great to clean the chain and is o-ring safe, however it (and kerosene) will evaporate quickly leaving you with no protection.
Only takes a few seconds to spray the chain wax on so no reason to skip doing it. Every 1000 miles I get down and dirty with a toothbrush and clean every link and inspect every roller.

I like the Maxim brand Chain Wax that my dealer sells. Spray it on a warm chain and it gets into every crevice and then sets up after about a 1/2 hour so you get no nasty lube flinged all over the rear of your bike. Any water that hits the chain just rolls right off. It's good stuff!

I clean and lube my chain about every 300miles also. I use wd40 to clean, and PJ chain lube. I don't like wax as much as oil lubes, more mess, but better lubing. I have over 23,000 on a stock chain and still going strong.

When the o-rings fail the chain is junk, usually you'll see the kiss of death redish brown dust. WD40 works great to clean the chain and is o-ring safe, however it (and kerosene) will evaporate quickly leaving you with no protection.
Only takes a few seconds to spray the chain wax on so no reason to skip doing it. Every 1000 miles I get down and dirty with a toothbrush and clean every link and inspect every roller.
The inside of the left side of the wheel is covered in red dust so the chain is probably hosed
sad.gif

After cleaning the chain, I do lube it spraying it on the inside of the chain and turning the wheel so it's not unprotected. It sounds like I'm just not doing it often enough and maybe not liberal enough with the lube.

I'll chase down the wax for the next chain.

Thanks.

Carl

Back