question about chain safety

teddypenn

Registered
ive got a little over 20k miles on my 06 and need to replace the chain and sprockets. the chain is adjusted as far back as i can go, but cant realy afford the replacements for about a month or so. my question is can i just take out a link or two so that i can adjust it to specs, or do i need to worry about my chain being so worn that my chain breaks while im riding?

If the chain is already out of spec, removing a link to make it shorter would not be a good idea. It will only stretch mored and could possibly break. Then all kinds of bad things happen.

yeah, i was just out in the garage 30 minutes ago lookin at it and decided to just put her up on the stands. there she'll sit untill i can get it fixed right. i hate to have to take the mini van, but i'll deal with it for a few weeks.

you can have my stock chain. only about 2300 miles on it. i think youll need to take 2 links out to make it the right length for a gen1 and a new master.

i may take you up on that. maybe we can get together this weekend or something. i'll shoot you a pm in a couple days to exchange numbers and see whats up. thanx :beerchug:

if the offer falls through above let me know.
I just cut of an oem chain off my 05 project. Has 9 miles on it and the factory grease. You would need a master link

if you dont need it I will put it in the pay it forward section

thanx for the offer bluehaya. m_ridgeway is more local for me so if he doesnt mind im gonna take him up on the offer. it would just be easier for me that way. man, gotta love the .org members lookin out like that. thanks guys :thumbsup:

Back