Chain maintenance

bronc3

Registered
Looking for tried and true ways to clean the drive chain,without damage.Chain wax is pretty tough.Also-anyone know of a chain wax that actually will stay on the chain?Mine seems to be attracted to the rear rim and undertail........Using Suzuki lube.

I luv using WD- 40. Some folks say there are better stuff out there, but it seems to work fine for me, been using it for years.

I use WD-40 the let her dry after a short ride then use the Maxima chain wax . Same stuff on all my past bikes with great results , no reason to change yet .

Well I was reading someone's post today about how they clean there chain after every ride,  so that motivated me to do it for the second time at 1400 miles  
laugh.gif
hmm, this chain seems a little loose where did I put that ruler?  2 inches!  Guess I better adjust that.  I grab the biggest wrench from the wall 30MM - to small!  Wow, I will have to break into the tool kit for the first time what fun, wow there is a lot of stuff in here.  But I didn't grab the 30MM in vain its needed to turn the little tool kit wrench.  Didn't have to move the bolts to much to get it back to 1 inch.  Reuse the cotter pin (note to self - buy some cotter pins).  1 inch seems pretty tight...  Ready to go!

<!--EDIT|Let 'er eat!
Reason for Edit: None given...|1071112073 -->

I am sure you already know this but worth repeating. Remember that the chain measurement should be done while cold and not just after a ride. If you check it after riding the chain will have extra slack in it from the heat, if tightened at this point it will be way to tight when you ride again!
smile.gif

I checked every manual I had, and on the web, but I never found anything that said you should check the chain while cold. Where did you see that?

<!--EDIT|Sane_man
Reason for Edit: None given...|1071165601 -->

So, which is it, WD-40 or Kero? I know kero is a petroleum product and naturally it has some properties relative to oil but, it still has enough acidic properties to remove dirt and excess wax. Also, WD-40 has petroleum distillates but, it does not say it is safe to use on rubber parts. I am concerned if it will deteriorate the seals in the links. Anyone got the true answer to this age old dilema?
rock.gif

So, which is it, WD-40 or Kero? I know kero is a petroleum product and naturally it has some properties relative to oil but, it still has enough acidic properties to remove dirt and excess wax. Also, WD-40 has petroleum distillates but, it does not say it is safe to use on rubber parts. I am concerned if it will deteriorate the seals in the links. Anyone got the true answer to this age old dilema?
rock.gif
The service manual says kerosene. Takes all the guesswork out!

I think either should be fine. WD-40 is a little easier to spray on but either should work. I would suggest getting the three sided cleaning brush, makes clean up real easy, remember not to scrub real hard or you will push dirt past the o-rings. Just be sure to wipe all the excess cleaner off and let it dry a bit before spraying on the chain wax. Let that dry and wipe off the excess lightly, shouldn't spray on the underside anymore.

Hi All, just FYI
If you peoples are sick of cleaning and oiling your chains.
You could have a look at getting a scott oiler

Check out their web site at
http://www.scottoiler.com/solutions.asp

I've been running one for over a year and it self cleans and oils
the chain really well. Saves Maintence time which increases hooning time
smile.gif

Jimbo.

Hi all

It connects to the bike and only dispenses oil when the engine is running. The faster the bike is going
the more oil it dispenses. You get to tune the amount of oil that gets dispenced to prevent two much getting everywhere.
We thrashed it out pretty good there
smile.gif

Cheers Jimbo.

Last edited by a moderator:
How do you all feel about the PJ1 Blue Lable ("Won't Fly Off") chain lube? I use it and it seems to be okay. I'm ready to do a big clean up on the chain, sprocket, etc. and plan on using Kerosene. Comments? Thanks!
cool.gif

I use simple green and a brush and warm the chain up with a short ride then use maxima chain wax.Put it on the way the its directed by hitting the inside of the chain as you turn it. The key is to let it set for a while and dont soak the chain. I leave mine overnight and have minimal splatter problems.

Back