Chain maintenance

The book says kerosene, WD40 works fine also. Maxima chain wax works great. They recommend warming up the chain first then lube and let it set up before riding. That way it fling all over your bike.

hi all i got this chain cleaning kit called KETTENMAX havent had time to try it as the busa is in bed for the winter. the web address is www.kettenmax.com if anyone has used this let me know what how you got on . T.T.F.N
egitarre77.gif
firedevil.gif

"In the bed for the winter"! Bertie, I thought everyone rode year round, even the eskimos have ice tires for their busas,lol!
laugh.gif

Jimg

>>The faster the bike is going the more oil it dispenses.

That's not true. The valve only has two positions. Closed when engine is not running and open when engine is running.

Hot weather certainly makes the oil flow more freely at a given setting, so perhaps you have your reservoir mounted near a source of heat?

I've got the touring kit on my CBR600 and Hayabusa.

No oil on Hayabusa tyre, (but I do get out on the CBR tyre, and it has never slipped.)

Both fitted with dual injector kit.

Rarely have to do chain maintenance.

Odd drip of oil on the garage floor, but mainly off of the chain if I have the flow rate too high. It's easy to turn up the flow in wet weather, then forget to turn it down when the weather turns fine.

I'd recommend the Scottoiler as it works.
http://www.scottoiler.com/

Steve-Thatcham, England

How do you all feel about the PJ1 Blue Lable ("Won't Fly Off") chain lube? I use it and it seems to be okay. I'm ready to do a big clean up on the chain, sprocket, etc. and plan on using Kerosene. Comments? Thanks!  
cool.gif
i just can't get use to the way the chain looks with PJ black and PJ blue. It always looks and feels dirty to me. I think it picks up more grit between cleanings.

I'm like BulletTrain. I use kerosene. Works great and doesn't sling like the WD-40 does. Being that kerosene is petroleum-based, it lubricates the o-rings at the same time. Now, I'm not saying to just clean it with kerosene and it's lubricated. Just simply use it for cleaning. I usually use ChainLube for the lubrication. Just my .02, but it can sometime be worth a million bucks...

Brian

I clean it with WD-40, and then use Bel-RAy Chain Lube to lube it. Bel-Ray sticks to you chain even under harsh conditions and doesn't sling at all. It the only lube I'll use on a bike, because it stays where you spray it
cool.gif

IMHO the real WD-40 Deal.

WD-40 stands for Water Displacement. I am under the impression that it is really a dry lubricant. The liquid you see is the carrier. I have heard from several people that it is so thin that it will get past the O rings (especially on an older chain (which for us is over 2K!)) and wash out the lubricant.

Someone posted that they use WD to clean but they spray it on a rag and wipe it on the chain. That sounds safe.

Without a doubt kerosene is a good choice. As someone mentioned it is a light oil (we use it as a cutting fluid when machining aluminum), it is recommended by the manufacturer, and it dosen't cost $3.50 for a 12 oz can!

Just my .02

How do you all feel about the PJ1 Blue Lable ("Won't Fly Off") chain lube? I use it and it seems to be okay. I'm ready to do a big clean up on the chain, sprocket, etc. and plan on using Kerosene. Comments? Thanks!
cool.gif
I tried the PJ1 Blue label, and for the most part it doesn't fly off. Just a little. But there were a few practice burnouts in the driveway, plus a 170mph run in there somewhere...

devil.gif

<!--EDIT|LCW
Reason for Edit: "can't spell"|1075443999 -->

wd-40 to clean and maxima chain wax. and for those who use kero., i find that it leaves an oily film on ur tires. so wash ur tire with soap after u use kero.

I just got a 5gal barrel of kerosene. I cleaned my chain last night with an old toothbrush I had.
laugh.gif

well I have a huge mess now. I know kerosene acts like desiel fuel and now I'm gonna have a fun time getting it off the back wheel.

It did an exceptional job and only took about 30 min to do. But I now have crap all over my baby and I have to find a way to get it off.

I use Kerosene, like the manual says, and Bel-Ray Lube. Used to you chain wax, but I found out the Belray really sticks.

How often do you have to clean and lube an o-ring chain when you always ride on paved roads? If you go on a trip, how much chain cleaning and lubing junk do you need to bring with you?

no need to bring it with you on a 500 or less trip....

but your chain does pick up sand and dirt from the road....

WD-40 and Maxima. Works just fine. Usually do this on Fri. nights so that it has time to settle in for the weekend rides that always come up. Yes I clean my chain atleast once a week and have had no problems with using the WD-40. After you clean with it, just take a clean cloth and wipe away any excess left on and then go out for a 5 - 10 minute ride before putting the chain wax on. Works great.

Great Question, lots of great replies
Had a shaftie then a belt, Info helped
Do you think maybe WD40 for routine cleaning, and kerosene for thourough clean would be a good solution?

Kerosene or diesel fuel dampen a rag spin the wheel dont get fingers in the sproket,will hurt like hell.Spectro chain wax.Your chain will look like new,i use the diesel because it always there,both lubricate as well as clean.

I asked one of our company aircraft engineers (Qantas) and was told that you can usually substitute kero, Jet A1, and diesel with products like WD40, CRC and RP7. The main effective difference is that the spray products have a “carrierâ€￾ that reduces viscosity, which may allow faster penetration and make things a little quicker. He points out that kero is a dam sight cheaper.

Sorry, I should have also said "when used for cleaning" they can usually be substituted.

Cheers

Back