Chain Master Link Question....

babuski

Donating Member
Registered
Okay sportsfans...you all have been ultra helpful of late. The dealer just called me and my new DID X ring chain and sprockets are in. BUT....my masterlink part (riveted master link kit or something like that) is backordered.

It comes with a clip on the master link. So I have three choices.

1) ride with old chain (should hold up for a few more miles...in good shape-- 12,500 miles

2) put new DID on with new sprockets and use a clip on the master link

3) Wait for backordered rivet part for masterlink.

My question to the board, I have heard that clips are not the best way to go. Is this true or horsecrap and I can go with a clip and not have to wait for the rivet master link part.

Will a clip not be reliable? Have they been known to fall off causing chain failure? What sayeth you folks?

Clip = Headache! Broken Busa and possibly trashed case....
Rivet = opposite of Clip!
My advice..... Wait on backorder, lay off the wheelies why your waiting and replace sprockets at the same time as chain!

NO NO NO CLIP!! You should be able to find o for the chain at many diffent places. try some of the shops and chain suppliers.

I have never had a problem with a clip master link. I always put silicone on the master link though just to make sure the clip isn't going anywhere.
smile.gif

Clip = Headache! Broken Busa and possibly trashed case....
Rivet = opposite of Clip!
My advice..... Wait on backorder, lay off the wheelies why your waiting and replace sprockets at the same time as chain!
Do EXACTLY as the k-bug says... NO CLIPS DUDE!!! You're really asking for trouble if you go with a clip.

I argued this topic with my dealer because they had to replace my chain, swingarm and rear shock under warranty. Well they promised to use the rivet link and ended up with the clip. I got the "it aint goin' no where" speech, on a worked Busa no less. Luckly I caught it before it was about to break it was twisted. Literaly twisted. I even call and spoke to a tech at D.I.D and he metioned that you lose about 45% of the tensile stenght under heavy load with the clip. I wonder why they even use them.

Well anyway I figured I'd call my dealer and givem' the old scare play and let him know I broke my chain and needed new cases and never went back.

I have never had a problem with a clip master link. I always put silicone on the master link though just to make sure the clip isn't going anywhere.
smile.gif
Clip is fine,just clean the clip and link good(with brake clean on a rag) then apply some rtv.
MANY people use this method and NEVER have a problem.
I had a 180hp ZX-11 that broke the first chain. I put a clip with RTV and it's still on there today, almost 4 years later.

smile.gif
Clip is fine,just clean the clip and link good(with brake clean on a rag) then apply some rtv.
MANY people use this method and NEVER have a problem.
I had a 180hp ZX-11 that broke the first chain. I put a clip with RTV and it's still on there today, almost 4 years later.
And many people don't, so there you have it. I have to agree I have seen chains break with rivits also but usually not on the rivit. It is such an easy thing to do for the little extra insurance.

I did not use the clip that came with mine I used the chain tool to press the pin heads into mushrooms.

This is going to turn into a great debate like the "which oil is best" threads
biggrin.gif
. So I will say this use what you feel comfortable with.
cool.gif

Back