Master link

Epstein

Registered
Does anyone use the clip type master links on the Busa or is this not recommended? I changed the front sprocket to a 16 tooth and the chain adjustment is almost all gone. I need to remove a link and I already have a clip type master link.

I dont recommend the clip type master links,get yourself a quality chain breaker and chain tool ,under power, the clip type will break.You need the rivit type.

I have the clip type on mine. I am pushing about 172hp and i twist it alot. I have a 16 tooth front and a 43 tooth rear. I have not had any problems so far with a master link clip. I agree with junkie that the rivet type is alot better tho.

Replace it? It's only got 2400 miles on it.
The reason it got sloppy(his chain) is he went down a tooth on the front.

Always change out sprockets/chains as a set.(I know, I know,"mines never broke").

Clip type masters are fine...till they break and yer chain goes thru the cases.

A die grinder,a punch, and 2 large ballpines will work if yer too cheap for a chain breaker and rivet tool.

If it was me,I'd replace that chain and both sprogs with new.The chain would have at least a tensil strength of 10,500 and the master would be riveted.

Just me. RSD.

i dont think all the clip type master are weak, schnitz racing sells a couple of ek chains made for dragging and they come with clip type masters. they are good for ppl who have bolt on swing arm extensions and change chains every weekend from street riding to drag racing.

It only has about 2 lines of adjustment left after changing over to the 16 tooth front sprocket. I changed it at about 2000 miles.

a smaller sprockets usually stretch beyond factory spects...and twisty alot means +1 on top...
So, if your chain stretched to the max then it is to safe to say change both...(if the sproks look good? just change the chain only...) but before put the new chain, let the expert to look at your sprocks first...my 02 cent
cool.gif

I always err on the side of caution.

It's hard to diagnose possibly spent parts over the net. I mean seriously....hold it up to the phone,right. LOL.

I could dig up some old posts from members "how my clip master link died and broke my cases".

Its a 5 dollar part.

Sure, those non-rivet type from different companies will work 999 times outa a thousand. *hint*.

Its like good gear...do you need it every ride...nope. But how can you figure out which days its nessecary?

If you can afford...get the best. You ride the best,why not maintain it the best.

Besides,poor people dont buy Busa's do they?

RSD.

old topic, personal experience. used a clip, and at 170+ continuous runs, the clip flew off, but the link was still on... im talking the retining clip flew off. i lost 4 of them before i said fukk it and got a rivet link.

I recently changed my sprockets and chain last weak with a rivet type. I think its on right but not sure. I bought the chain tool for the install but would like to see to master link properly set if anyone has pics.

Back