A Chain Question

Bence's Busa

Registered
The guy that put my chain together used a clip on type master link to join the chain together. I was wondering if this is a safe method or do I have to get the chain riveted. Has anyone had one of these clip on type came off?

The guy that put my chain together used a clip on type master link to join the chain together. I was wondering if this is a safe method or do I have to get the chain riveted. Has anyone had one of these clip on type came off?
I would have to say the guy that put yer chain on is a bit of a bobo .
Get the other type . Its just safer . If a chain comes apart it can go right thru yer cases , and thats the BEST senario , the worst is bike damage and body [yer body] damage .

What are we talking about here....rivet master link= $6.oo

Why are you even considering a clip type .

hav a good 1....RSD.

You should not have a problem if you're using a quality chain with a quality master link. I plan to go to a master link chain when I wear the OEM chain out. I just put an RK gold X ring chain on my Ducati with a master link, and no problems.

clip type master link !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! absolutley not even warning in shop manual
unless of course thats what you want to be thinking about a 160mph lol ever wonder why new bikes dont come with them?

Thanks dudes. I ve always thought the master clip on type was a bit cheesy, even on a set of Tsubaki, as thick and strong as they look. I guess i can get a regular rivet link and the dealers should have the tools to rivet it together for me right? I dont want to buy an expensive ass chain tool.

wow.gif

Always go with a rivit. You will be fine I am sure for a stock motor and average and above riding.

I finally broke down and bought the expensive kit.

I've always used the "clip type" master links, but never had a bike that made so much power.

Figure out what the dealer is going to charge you to do it and the kit suddenly dosen't seem so expensive anymore.

Chain.jpg

atta boy Mikey....

you can always use the Rubbah method too....

bin doin' it for a long time.....

cut em' off with yer die grinder , sew the new one up with a ball peen, a bigger ballpeen, an' a punch .

hav a good 1.....RSD.

I've always used the "clip type" master links, but never had a bike that made so much power.  

Figure out what the dealer is going to charge you to do it and the kit suddenly dosen't seem so expensive anymore.
Where do ya buy a kit like this at?

Where do ya buy a kit like this at?
Made by Motion Pro. Got it from my local mom&pop dirt bike shop. Breaks em and rivets em. Supposed to grind the heads off of the big chain pins before breaking them.

I posted a new chain thread here a while back, I'll try to find it.

Found it.

Good luck!

Mikey probably just ordered the kit for the "school's" tool box.
laugh.gif

j/k Mikey

Back