DIY chain riveting tool

So do the shims typically come with the master link or do they come with the riveting tool? At least it sounds like they come with the link for EK chain.

Also, are the shims metal or plastic? I was thinking that a hard plastic would probably be sufficient.

The shims are metal and they save to o-rings from getting bound in the link and prevent overtightening the link and it becoming a kinked link. Which will then lead to failure of the rivited link.

I think that the copper wire is likely too soft for this application. I have one extra set of two shims (takes two to rivet the chain) and they are 0.050" thick. Last DID master link I purchased did NOT have a set of shims with it. I have one extra set I can send to someone if they need them, lmk.

I think that the copper wire is likely too soft for this application. I have one extra set of two shims (takes two to rivet the chain) and they are 0.050" thick. Last DID master link I purchased did NOT have a set of shims with it. I have one extra set I can send to someone if they need them, lmk.
I'll take them if you're offering. PM sent.

Back