DIY chain riveting tool

AJAY

Registered
Helping the neighbors kid with a new chain and sprocket for his 750 Kat, but I think the RK chain kit I found uses a rivet type master link instead of a clip. Sorry, I'm old school and don't have a riveter.

Anyway.... those riveters are expensive. I found this on a Kaw forum and thought some of you might be interested. Pretty clever, although I'll probably just machine a tip on my lathe instead (plus heat treat).

Diy Chain Rivet Tool : KawiForums.com Kawasaki Forums: Kawasaki motorcycle forums

I was thinking it might be a good idea to make a pair of shims to keep the O-rings from getting crushed when you stake the rivets. Tried to draw a picture of what it would look like below. Use some feeler gauges to measure the space between the plates and find some thin metal stock slightly thinner than that (maybe some metal packing strap material or a hacksaw blade?). Make sure it is not much wider than the outer link or you may cut into o-rings of the adjoining links.

Maybe this is overkill? Or maybe the design of the rivet tip stops the crushing of the O-rings when the flairing tool bottoms out in the dimple of the link pin. Comments on this are welcome.

shims.jpg

I was thinking it might be a good idea to make a pair of shims to keep the O-rings from getting crushed when you stake the rivets. Tried to draw a picture of what it would look like below. Use some feeler gauges to measure the space between the plates and find some thin metal stock slightly thinner than that (maybe some metal packing strap material or a hacksaw blade?). Make sure it is not much wider than the outer link or you may cut into o-rings of the adjoining links.

Maybe this is overkill? Or maybe the design of the rivet tip stops the crushing of the O-rings when the flairing tool bottoms out in the dimple of the link pin. Comments on this are welcome.

My EK zzz chain came with that exact type of thing for that exact use. But it is far more thick than a hack saw blade.

Another tip that applies at least to clip style master links... I take one of the side plates from the old chain, drill out the pin holes slightly, and put this over the new master link so I can do the initial assembly with some vice grips. When done with it, I save the side plate by placing it over the pin of the chain breaker tool so I have it for next time I need it.

the shims are a "required" IMO..... mash away... it is almost impossible to over compress the link with them in.. I found it pretty easy to over compress the link plate on to the link without them... (screwed up a good master link too)

Last edited:
the shims are a "required" IMO..... mash away... it is almost impossible to over compress the link with them in.. I found it pretty easy to over compress the link plate on to the link without them... (screwed up a good master link too)
So do the shims typically come with the master link or do they come with the riveting tool? At least it sounds like they come with the link for EK chain.

Also, are the shims metal or plastic? I was thinking that a hard plastic would probably be sufficient.

So do the shims typically come with the master link or do they come with the riveting tool? At least it sounds like they come with the link for EK chain.

Also, are the shims metal or plastic? I was thinking that a hard plastic would probably be sufficient.

They came with the EK master links I got. I did not realize what they were for initially (never swedged an oring chain before theirs) and I killed a master link by not using them..

After the new master was binding up, I figured out what the two stupid metal things were for.. (did not have instructions with the links or the tool doh!) Odered new M/L and away I went.. never had another issue.

they appeared to be just stamped steel.. I think I have extra if you want them..

Last edited:
^^^^ TOOL ^^^^^ :rofl:

My chain breaker/put her back together thing cost about 90 bones I think..

pashnit.com is where I got mine.. :thumbsup:

I agree almost impossible to do without the shims.
I just thought of an easier way to make some shims if you don't have them: Use a piece of copper electrical wire of the proper gauge / thickness. Should be plenty strong enough to keep the o-rings from crushing.

Ya know, I'm liking the c-clip master links more and more. Why did they ever decide to go away from them? I'll be the rivet style links are cheaper to make and no stronger.

Back