Chain Lube [Again!]

WD-40 clean chain,go ride to spin out the excess oil,come back and wipe down chain,swing arm and wheel of flung oil,now that the chain is warm use tooth brush and 90wt gear oil or plain car oil and put oil on chain and wipe down any excess oil and your done.Now if you just use WD-40,I would wipe down the chain every night after riding and give it a spray of WD-40 and wipe off any excess.All other add on spray are junk and a waste of money.WD-40 cheap at Walmart,Price Costco,etc.My 1cent

I noticed comments from some folks that they are throwing their chain wax into the trashcan, and are looking for something else to try.

To recap:

There are a large number of people who use WD-40 as their chain lube.

Some people swear by their PJ-1, or whatever else they've used since Hector was a pup.

Just to ask the question: Is it just too totally uncool to use Suzuki Chain Lube? It's in the manual as the chain lube recommended by Suzuki, it certainly _seems_ to work (only the miles will tell the tale, but I've got 1400 miles on my chain with _no_ detectable stretch), and yes, it's a bit messy, but cleaning up after it provides you with a good opportunity to get down on your knees and see if everything's still firmly attached in the back end of your bike.

-- Falconer

Falconer,

I was unaware that problems were incurred with chain wax. I inadvertently purchased some pj1 and belray early on. Dennis Kirk delivered a supply of chain wax last week and that is what I will stick with. No pun intended.

Which are you guys recommending ? WD-40 penetrating oil or 90 weight tranny fluid. Obviously I'm confused.

I clean the chain with kerosene which also lubricates, and Cisco cleans the chain with WD-40.
90 Weight gear lube--differential lube for cars.
Bob

Cisco--Tried Kerosene for cleaning and then wiped it off/spun it off. Then applied 90 weight as suggested. Noticable difference in sound from the rear.
How often do you reclean and apply? I would think once a week will be needed. Manuals in the past from Suzuki suggest a 20W-50. So this seems good.
Thanks
Bob

To Bob and others I tried kerosene to clean my chain on my 89 Gsxr1100 and found that I went thru three sets of chain.I don't use kerosene anymore cause I think it cleans out the lub that is between the o-rings of each chain link and I feel that WD-40 is a better bet and so do a few of the other riders on this board.Good Luck to all and save your money on chain wax and buy WD-40.

Back