Chain cleaning

Busa05_KY

Registered
A guy at a local shop here said that is what he uses, (WD-40)? He was talking to another sportbike guy, I assume he was talking about an o-ring chain. Sounded good. Soak chain on stand with wd-40. Clean real good, wipe off. The wd-40 will dry up unlike kerosene or diesel.
rock.gif
That may be a problem also though. Will this drying process damage the o-rings? WD-40 is Water Displacing #40. Any thoughts anyboby?
idea3.gif

A lot of people use the WD - works pretty well. Big problem for most is that when you use WD to clean the chain, you have to make sure that you wipe down and then heat the chain or else lubricant on top of the WD won't stick.

I use chain wax for lube (I live on a dirt road). I did use WD-40 but the lube would still sling off. I use kerosene now, (Lowes or Home Depot ~$9 a gallon). It works so much better.

Don

yeah or you can use a chain cleaner in a spray can i think zuki makes one now i know honda has it out but then i go heat mine up and use wax

A lot of people use the WD - works pretty well.  Big problem for most is that when you use WD to clean the chain, you have to make sure that you wipe down and then heat the chain or else lubricant on top of the WD won't stick.
Thanks MC. I am a former Marine. I see a lot of your post. Good stuff. 90-94 i was an 0844. Arty.
guns.gif

Cool thanks. I may go with kerosene. Just thought ease of application and clean up with wd-40 made it sound better.
type.gif

I use WD-40 ever ride! Give it a thorough cleaning every few weeks. Say what you want about it but my chains flat last! Easy clean up too!

WD-40 does damage the O-rings in the chain nor do you want it anywhere near your rear tire. Try to stick with Kerosene and Chain wax.
If you have a take-off tire around...spray some wd40 on it, let it set for a minute the wipe it off..you'll see what I mean.

I ended up using gasoline. It worked great. I would not recomend if you have some kerosene or diesel though. I guess they are all messy and stinky but at least kerosene and diesel aren't as flamable.
AAAssjani.gif

I ended up using gasoline. It worked great. I would not recomend if you have some kerosene or diesel though. I guess they are all messy and stinky but at least kerosene and diesel aren't as flamable.
AAAssjani.gif
Naptha is what most mechanics use to clean engine parts. It is less flammable than kerosene, and it's the main ingredient in charcoal lighter.

I'm not following why WD-40 is damaging to O rings and kerosene is not.

AAAssjani.gif
Naptha is what most mechanics use to clean engine parts.  It is less flammable than kerosene, and it's the main ingredient in charcoal lighter.

I'm not following why WD-40 is damaging to O rings and kerosene is not.
I use Napatha for paint application. I try it for chain cleanig sometime. What happens if you get some on your paint though?
idea.gif

Kerosene is recommended,

but I used wd-40.

Stock chain lasted 31,000 miles with wd-40 cleaning and chain lube(not wax).

I finally spent more than half a day cleaning and detailing my LE after my 4000 mile trip and used Simple Green to clean the wheels and chain.  Worked very well.  I did use WD40 on the rear hub near the sprocket to clean the overspray of the Maxima chain wax I use and it worked better (quicker) than the green.  BTW, non ammonia Windex worked better than Plexus for removing the massive amount of dead bugs from the bodywork.  An old toothbrush helped around the seams and blinker pods too.  Its a good thing Suzy put a heavy screen over the lower part of the radiator as it was nearly clogged with little rocks and such.  Oh yeah, after the initial oil change at 700 miles or so, I changed to Amsoil before my trip at around 3200 and now at 7000 its not used a drop of oil.  
cool.gif

biggrin.gif

<!--EDIT|CBXRider
Reason for Edit: None given...|1152836309 -->

Sweet_Busa__Small_.jpg

I have been using wd40 but yesterday I went with kerosene and it did a much better job. kerosene and chain wax from now on for me.

Back