Chain care

kod3001

Registered
I use chain wax on mine about once a week depending on riding style and weather.

Then get it all cleaned up during its service.

Though, should I look at intermediate work, such as getting all the wax/lube/kak off and starting from fresh. If so, what should I use to get the wax and kak off ?

It just seems that the chain starts looking nasty after a while with layers and layers of wax/lube.

I clean it every 600 miles which = once a week. I use diesel and then chain lube.

Kerosene is all I use to clean my chain.
+1

Can't go wrong with what the service manual recommends. Plus those o-rings are delicate so you don't wanna mess those up. Bad things can happen at high speeds. Oh yeah, I adjust my slack everytime and look for wear each time I lube. I use Maxima Chain wax/lube.

I use some chain degeaser made by the same company that makes my lube. Think that is ok? J-p blue label? I'm not where it is at the moment.

Just get a self lubricating chain.

Too bad they don't make that one. I run a non-o ring chain, it is supposed to be better for dragracing (rotational resistance?) I have to keep a close eye on it and lube it frequently.

You should clean your chain before you wax. When you wax a dirty chain you trap all the grit and grime in place and it works like sandpaper. I'd never spray wax on a dirty chain.

Actually just recently Sence i bought a new chain, it came with a clip-on master link. Once in a while ill take it off and let it soak in desle fuel overnight and then lay it out to lube it up

<!--EDIT|Lotus49
Reason for Edit: None given...|1128161726 -->

Actually just recently Sence i bought a new chain, it came with a clip-on master link. Once in a while ill take it off and let it soak in desle fuel overnight and then lay it out to lube it up
Clip-on chain on a Busa?

YIKES!!!!!!!!
Like the idea for convenience, but not for safety, I like my left leg the way it is.

I've always found chains a pain the ars*... so much so I've considered a shaft drive bike, bmw or something.

Every 5-600 miles I lube my chain. What I find works well is to ride the bike to get the chain warm and then I lube it with Maxima chain wax. After it sits for 5 min. I take a rag and wipe all the excess off the chain. The lube has soaked/penetrated where it needs to go. So by wiping the excess off leaves the chain nice and clean and it doesn't get build up. Every once in a while I soak a rag with WD-40 and wipe the chain and sprocket down and then lube it.

Back