Since i cant use Dupont chain lube anymore what is the next best?

They say they are the same, but they made the yellow can thicker. Regardless, it's what I'm going to use when I run out of what I have now.

I would have like to have compared the MSDS from the old blue can and the new yellow can to see if the concentrations/percentages are different.

Guys, the new yellow can has the exact same ingredients as the old blue can. They increased the amount of wax for motorcycle chains. It applies just like the old blue can and the chain looks the same afterwards. It is still the best chain lube made. Blows the doors off of everything else. Webbikeworld has gone off the reservation on this one. They missed the mark!

I have a can of yellow and the blue and to spray them on anything you can't tell the difference. I cleaned the chain yesterday and will start using the yellow can and we'll see.

They say they are the same, but they made the yellow can thicker. Regardless, it's what I'm going to use when I run out of what I have now.

I would have like to have compared the MSDS from the old blue can and the new yellow can to see if the concentrations/percentages are different.

No matter what you use to lube the orings (which is the only thing you are lubing) the most important thing is to clean the chain. Applying anything with wax that seals the dirt and grit in place around the Oring does more harm than good IMV.

Scrub that puppy clean before lubing is key!

No matter what you use to lube the orings (which is the only thing you are lubing) the most important thing is to clean the chain. Applying anything with wax that seals the dirt and grit in place around the Oring does more harm than good IMV.

I don't know if i necessarily agree with this. Scrubbing can most certainly damage a o-ring by tearing and scratching against them and can also push the dirt and debris further into the joint. I prefer a spray down, spin the wheel a few times, wipe off the excess with a rag, then go back for a final coat of the wax and done.

yes! I spin the tire by hand to run the chain thru this, hits 3 sides of the chain at once. Then I reposition the brush head so all 4 sides of the chain are scrubbed

get

About all the chain lubes and hype, here is my theory and experience, in short you don't really need chain lube.

1.) When I purchased my K9 new, first thing I did is clean all the factory grease off the chain, using Kerosine, no lube used the chain dry. Why? Dust and lube makes grinding paste, not for me.

2.) At around 3,800 miles my chain still needed no adjustment, in specification, but I changed the back tire and started using Dupont as it seemed not to dirty the chain.

3.) At 6,000 mile service, my chain was still in specification but at the lower end, I adjusted each adjuster less than 1/8th of a turn and we are good.

So, my personal theory is that the chain is lubed internally at the chain making factory and the key is to keep the O-Rings healthy and keep the chain dry. Anything that attracts dust will do more damage than no lubricant at all. Dupont keeps the O-Rings happy, all that I am interested in.

Prior experience:

For those who are not into competitive cycling (bicycling) note that on ultra light professional equipment a chain, rear cluster gears and front chain rings will set one back close to $800 as below. With competition we allow almost no chain stretch, otherwise we do a wheel change during a race and any wear will have unmatched components, resulting in skipping gears. On a titanium casette, expect less than 3,000 miles and for competition purposes (limited stretch) allow around 1,000 miles on a DRY chain and 600 miles on an oil/grease lubed chain. If cheaper heavier components are used one can get a lot more miles, provided the system stays matched, not changing individual drive components. The Pro's want the lightest stuff out there though.

In short, any lube that makes any dust stick to a chain, will reduce it's life, this is ultra light equipment that shows wear fast if not treated right, also there are no O-Rings.

Cycling gear train prices:

Rear Campagnolo cassette = $460
Chain = $70
Front chain rings = $240

Total = $770

I've yet to find the dupont stuff out here anywhere, i've used maxima chain wax on every bike i've ever owned and do not plan on switching. I actually use chain wax in place of pretty much everything around the house you'd use wd40 for :laugh:

I've yet to find the dupont stuff out here anywhere, i've used maxima chain wax on every bike i've ever owned and do not plan on switching. I actually use chain wax in place of pretty much everything around the house you'd use wd40 for :laugh:

Once you try the Dupont you'll throw that can of Maxima into the trash...

I live in Littleton Co. it,s in every Lowe,s, in the tools section. I was not sold on it till I tried it.

I've used the Maxim Gold Can for 67K miles of fun. Current chain and sprockets have 31K

My brother drive his 08 busa for 9k miles on the factory chain and never cleaned or lubed it. Didn't need any adjustment. Maybe some guys ride their bikes harder then others.

My brother drive his 08 busa for 9k miles on the factory chain and never cleaned or lubed it. Didn't need any adjustment. Maybe some guys ride their bikes harder then others.

Really I'm not surprised. If you lube a chain which is not 100% clean you make grinding paste, the stuff they use to lap metal and grind valves. Grinding paste is made with lubricants and silicon carbide, the latter is sand. A chain may look clean but the dirt goes into the rollers and around the O'rings, where it is washed and wiped in and not visible. You can't get to this dirt. If one now adds a lubricant it mixes with the dirt, which is bad news, as it makes a nice abrasive paste. The only way to clean a chain 100% is to remove it from the bike, soak it 100% submerged and use ultra-sonic cleaning to get everything out. No one does that.

Back