DuPont Teflon chain lube update

AJAY

Registered
Not sure if this has been posted before, but it looks like DuPont reformulated their Teflon/wax lube specifically for motorcycles. The new spray is heavier/goopier than the old stuff. Not sure the new stuff is needed, since so many people are happy with the old stuff, but maybe the new "yellow can" spray is better for folks who are lazy about cleaning and lubing their chains. The regular stuff in the white can is sold at Lowes hardware stores for about $6/can. Look for it in the special "tools" section of the store, not with the other lubricants.

Here's a link from a recent review on WebBikeWorld:Dupont Teflon Multi-Use Dry Wax Lubricant

Here's a link from DuPont: DuPont? Teflon? Lubricants

dupont-chain-lubes.jpg

:thumbsup: For Dupont on making this stuff!! I luv this stuff even more so that I have white wheels now.
I am using the stuff in the blue can.

Been using the Maxim Gold can but I'm gonna have to try the DuPont stuff.

"UPDATE: Apparently, this product is sold in the industrial market as "DuPont Teflon Chain Saver".

It's our understanding from DuPont reps that it's the same product, just labeled differently for a different market."...webbikeworld.

This was a quote from webbikeworld at the beginning in the summary section.

I've been using the blue one and sticking with it.:thumbsup:

I love clean wheels/ chain.:)

"UPDATE: Apparently, this product is sold in the industrial market as "DuPont Teflon Chain Saver".

It's our understanding from DuPont reps that it's the same product, just labeled differently for a different market."...webbikeworld.

Didn't find the line you quoted, but this is what I found:
We asked DuPont about the differences between the two products and they indicated that the two lubes are nearly identical.

However, we noticed that Chain-Saver is much thicker and more like a conventional motorcycle chain lube. When sprayed on a chain (after shaking the can per instructions), it leaves a much heavier residue than the Multi-Use spray. You can see this in the photos and especially in the video below.

Some motorcyclists prefer a heavier formula that looks like it's sticking to the chain, so no problem there. However, the Chain-Saver does not completely dry like the Multi-Use chain lube, despite the label's claim that it "Goes on wet, sets up dry" and "Sets up to a clean, dry, wax film which will not absorb dirt or grime".

I guess it's all in how you define the word "dry"! The Chain-Saver label also proclaims that the product "Will not drip or fling off".

I do notice that my rear wheel gets "dusty" with this lube. That is, I wipe it down with Pledge, but it's always dusty when I get back. Maybe ithe black wheels just show it more. Of course, it used to be greasy, so I'll take dusty any day.

I am also using the blue can and couldnt be happier. I have used it for the last 2 years with no issues.

Sent from my DROIDX using Forum Runner

I have been using the yellow can and now that it's almost gone I'm going to pick up the blue can. The yellow can will fling off but it is a lot easier than regular chain wax to get off of everything.

I've been using the Blue can forever not going to change now. If it's not broken don't fix it.

newman said:
Can't buy Dupont or Lemon Pledge, here in the UK.:banghead:

But a stateside Busa brother might be willing to send you some:whistle:

From my dunce stool :cookoo:

Can't buy Dupont or Lemon Pledge, here in the UK.:banghead:
Really? DuPont does not sell in the UK? They're one of the largest chemical companies in the world.

Here's the website for this set of products. DuPont? Teflon? Lubricants

You might send them a message and kick off a new market in the UK, or at least find out where you can buy it in England. performancelubricant@mail1.dupont.com

It looks like this is extremely old news. From 2009.

At any rate...

We asked DuPont about the differences between the two products and they indicated that the two lubes are nearly identical.

It's good news for me since I went to Lowes and bought 6 cans of the old stuff a year or two ago. I still have many cans left :)

2+ years and 18900 on the ticker without an issue or complaint. Sprocket is beginning to show wear so I'll be keepin the same product and protocol for the new set. :thumbsup:

Back