Changed My Chain Lube - Results and Opinion

mike1180

Banned
I have been using Bel Ray Superclean lube and found it very good.
It went on medium thick and thickened up nicely and left a lot of lubricating material on the chain.
After a few hundred miles it was still visibly present and doing it’s job.
It did attract some dirt and had a little fling off but was the best I have used.
When putting it on, it tended to just go on over whatever dirt etc. was on the chain, and had no washing off ability, so just before using it, I used a paper towel on the warm chain to get off all the previous left over lube.

Over the last 1000 miles I have been testing a new chain lube.
It is Dupont Teflon Multi Use Dry Wax Lubricant.

DuPont? Teflon? Dry-Film Lubricants

It's clear and non-sticky, so it doesn't attract dirt and grit; and it quickly dries to a waxy finish, and has Teflon and Molybdenum, two excellent lubricants.
It goes on with the consistency of WD40, so has excellent wash off quality which the Bel Ray does not.
It dissolved a lot of the old Bel Ray on the first application and when holding a paper towel underneath when spraying, it takes off all old dust and dirt off the chain – A feature I really like.
It then dries to a thin waxy finish and has no fling off whatsoever.

Webbike world has an article and video about the stuff here, and gives it 2 thumbs up:

DuPont Teflon Chain Saver - DuPont Teflon Chain Lube - webBikeWorld

I am sold on this stuff.
It is 1/3 the price of the Bel Ray, available at most hardware stores, does an excellent job, and I feel keeps the chain cleaner.
Now if I was going on a very long ride and could not lube my chain for a long while, I would give it a shot of Bel Ray, as I like the fact it stays on thicker for a long time.
However, I lube my chain after every ride and the Dupont is more than thick enough to do it’s job, and shortens the application time with it's excellent wash off abilities.

036121191570.jpg

I also have been using the bel rey superclean and I have been happy with it. It doesn't fling off but does seem to attract some dirt. I wanted to use tri-flo with teflon, but when I emailed them and asked if it would be OK for O ringed chain, the answer was no. I have used tri-flo on dirt bikes with great results - long lasting and rejects dirt. Their recommendation was the product you used. I have been thinking about switching. Thanks for review. I'm going to give it a try.

Last edited:
im testing the gunk chain lube right now and not pleased at all...lots of sling off. so i will be looking for something better

I have been using Silkoleen Pro Lube for a while. It does a good job at lubrication. It also does a good job allowing dirt to stick. If you put it on too think it will splatter on the rear wheel. You must use it very sparingly.

I might have to give that a try next.

Just switched from Superclean to Klotz KLR about 1200 miles back. Goes on really clean and does not seem to attract as much dirt. Have used the Dupont on my last bike and it was ok. I read somewhere that they were changing the Dupont formula.

I have been using AMSOIL MP Heavy Duty Metal Protector and it cleans the heck outta the wheels too go figure. works really well

Every ADV rider I know swears but it and that is all I run on my chain. I purchased from Home Depot. Too bad they don't have tiny cans so you can hide them in the tail. Wardie

Looks good :thumbsup: I mean the one thing when you buy a Dupont product , you're going to get quality w/ plenty of R&D.

Thanks for the share.

I use Wurth HHS 2000 goes on viscous and the carrier evaps and leaves a heavy tacky film , with low fling, and is like anything proof

I have been using the Dupont Multi Use for several years now and like it alot. It makes cleaning and lubing the chain so much easier. The chain looks new all the time and seems to be very flexible and lubed good. Not had a failed chain yet, so must be working pretty good.:thumbsup:

i will have to see next time im in erie if i can find me some of this at lowes...where do they normal store this so i dont walk all over the store?

Important thing is to keep the chain clean and lubed :thumbsup:

Whatever works for ya :beerchug:

would be nice to try a new lube actually. i'm liking the idea of a dry wax! thanks for sharing!:thumbsup:

Back