chain maintenance

hemi

Registered
i'm always trying to keep my chain clean and lubed, i always clean with kerosene and have been using bel ray super clean lube for a while now and think that stuff is great. The only problem with the lube i noticed is it must be extremely tacky bc it attracts dirt like a magnet. I am going to try some new products to clean and lube the chain, here they are

Motorcycle Chain Cleaner Brush, Ultra Lube, Bike Wash, Speed Wax, by Tirox Motorcycle Maintenance

DuPont Teflon at Lowe's: Dry Film Lubricant

hopefully with these 2 products i can keep my chain clean easily and lubed with no dirt sticking to it, the lube is supposed to dry like a wax and isn't tacky at all

my chain on my last gsxr 750 only lasted until 11k before the o-rings started splitting and hanging off. I cleaned and lubed it pretty often though, (about every 600-1000 miles) and only used kerosene to clean it. I thought they would last longer than this, so i'm trying to make sure it doesn't happen on the busa

my chain on my last gsxr 750 only lasted until 11k before the o-rings started splitting and hanging off. I cleaned and lubed it pretty often though, (about every 600-1000 miles) and only used kerosene to clean it. I thought they would last longer than this, so i'm trying to make sure it doesn't happen on the busa
Do your clean/lube routine every 300 miles and you can darn near forget about worn out chains.

Don't use hard brissle brushes on an O or X ring chain. I can't tell what the Torix brush is like.

On my GSX-R1000 I got over 25K from the stock chain. I lubed it with Maxima chain wax every 500-600 miles and cleaned it with kerosene every oil change at 3.5K mi. using a soft brissle paint brush. I cleaned and lubed anytime after riding in the rain. It is just as important to maintain the proper chain tension adjustment.

is it best to put this on cold or hot? I just found it here where i live and just want to do it wright. I does not say on the can. Also how long does it take to dry? Thanks to everyone on the org for all the help

it is always best to lube when the chain is warm. I always try to clean it when warm also. I go out for just a few minutes, pop it on the stand, soak it in kerosene for a few minutes and then try to wipe it down until it's almost dry. Then i take it out for a few minutes again (un-lubed), and just spray on the lube and let it sit for a few. I think most chain lubes state to let it dry for about 15-20 minutes after application. Most of the time i will clean and lube mine when i'm done riding for the day, and just let the lube dry all night

no problem. By the way, so far i love the dupont dry wax lube, it lubes great and isn't tacky at all so it won't attract dirt. Tried the bell ray super clean, really like this stuff, it doesn't fling all over the bike period but does seem to attract quite a bit of dirt. The tirox chain cleaner worked really good cleaning the chain, i'll know after a few more times of cleaning how good it really is. Just trying to maintain my chain as much as possible bc all the o-rings on the chain of my 750 were broke and sticking out after only 11k miles

This is my first busa and i really don't know much about bikes. That is why i am so grateful for this site. It is always someone that knows something about everything on one of these things. Please keep me posted on the tirox chain cleaner i want to get that next if it works. Thanks again for all the help.

Last edited:
that dude in the video is annoying...

nice idea though i still like using kerosene and a paint brush.

Would like to try the Dupont though. how do you like it so far?

No problems, mate. Slubeerubber guy was spraying the chain where most of the fling will fly out. He should have sprayed from the inside so the fluid flings outwardly like I'd have that chain that dry is you have got to be kidding me.

I want lithium or wheel bearing grease smashing those rollers into the teeth of the sprocket. That film is the crap on your teef you watch that candyazz :moon: spay his arm pits with that stuff instead.

Hey, if you take the chain off an not time your wear pattern as in the same link to tooth, you make a new wear pattern and I do not have a high spot on my chain being I broke it in a special way is loose first. :whistle:

Some expert! :rofl:

i agree the dude in the vid is very annoying mate. The brush seemed to work quite well, just sprayed the kerosene on a let it soak for a few, install brush on the chain and spin the wheel 4 or 5 times. I guess a paint brush might get in between the rollers a little better, but it only took me about 5 minutes to clean the chain with the tirox. Never used the paint brush, so can't say which would get more grime/grudge off the chain. The dupont seems to be great so far, doesn't dry tacky like most lubes so it doesn't attract dirt, it dries like a wax on the chain and doesn't sling off. That was the only thing i dis-liked about the bel ray super clean lube, it seemed to attract quite a bit of dirt

Back