Carbon Fiber Wheels

shenoyp

Hayabusa Master Jedi
Donating Member
Registered
I was thinking about putting on a set of Carbon Fiber wheels on Elenor, to cut weight further?? Anybody on the board using those wheels... ??

I want to know if they are strong enough for regular road use!!

Please post some picture, if you have them on your Busa.

Thanks in advance
bowdown.gif

busa's a heavy beast...never seen the roads in India....so if potholes are common...I would personally steer clear.

I thought CF wheels were much stronger than Alum wheels, so why avoid the pot-holes? Also going CF, wouldn't that eliminate about 20 Lbs off the Busa, + if you have a single race pipe exhaust I believe you also droped another 30 to 40 lbs. If a person droped 60 Lbs off the Busa, than is the Busa still considered Heavy...umm, I wouldnt think so.

Since were talking about custom wheels, is a Magnesium wheels stronger than CF wheels?

Shen, are you still thinking of going Turbo? Im also kicking the idea around, but not sure if I want to drop all the $$$$ into a project that may make Gretchen unreliable. However do wheels make a huge benefit in performance and handeling for the 2500 to 3000 + price which is almost same ballpark for turbo?
rock.gif

I thought CF wheels were much stronger than Alum wheels, so why avoid the pot-holes? Also going CF, wouldn't that eliminate about 20 Lbs off the Busa, + if you have a single race pipe exhaust I believe you also droped another 30 to 40 lbs. If a person droped 60 Lbs off the Busa, than is the Busa still considered Heavy...umm, I wouldnt think so.

Since were talking about custom wheels, is a Magnesium wheels stronger than CF wheels?

Shen, are you still thinking of going Turbo? Im also kicking the idea around, but not sure if I want to drop all the $$$$ into a project that may make Gretchen unreliable. However do wheels make a huge benefit in performance and handeling for the 2500 to 3000 + price which is almost same ballpark for turbo?
rock.gif
Im not too sure is CF is stronger than Alluminium, but from what I have heard from some people its as strong... and a whole lot lighter!!

Mate, I decided to go the NOS way... after a lot of discussion, and lurking around in the Turbo section, and advice by some member whome I have a lot of respect for I have finally decided that the turbo is not for me!! I was looking at about 40-60 HP boost, and I can get it safe from NOS.

I dont think the performance benifits of shedding down weight with the wheels will equal or come close to a good turbo. Nevertheless, you will have better accelration, top speed and a whole lot better cornering spped cause of lower gyroscopic effect IMO

However do wheels make a huge benefit in performance and handeling for the 2500 to 3000 + price which is almost same ballpark for turbo?
rock.gif
CF is strong yes..but it does not bend..it cracks.
CF, depending one the maker...they used have the potential to "leak" air through the weave itself....as I remember, it was a slow leak...but still a leak. This has prolly been resolved.
Remember that the Busa starts more than 100lbs (Busa@478lbs to GIXX1K@365lbs stock trim) over "most" other bikes which see the track...where these wheels were first designed for and used.
So if you dropped the same parts of both types of bikes...the Busa is still a little heavy by "race" standards.

I don't know which of the two types are stronger (Mg or CF) ....but the Yosh racing team does use the Mg.

I would hope that 3K into the motor would vastly overcome the OEM wheels issue....no?

It's just my .02 .... so with inflation, it's prolly worth less.

xblueman.gif

....but the Yosh racing team does use the Mg. [/QUOTE]

...how does the weight compare between Mg. and CF
rock.gif

NOS does sound like a good option, but just hearing the term NOS makes me think "Damaged parts", than again I really know nothing about NOS as I have never used it, just heard from others.

BusaCruise, good input - True the Busa is havey for a track bike, but Im thinking if a person shed 40 to 60 lbs off the Busa, and as Shen may do +++ some NOS, than I guess you would have an awesome streetbike! I wasnt trying to compare the Turbo to the wheels as far as Pure performance gain, sorry if I worded my thinking wrong...lol. I was just thinking where money would be better spent for street use, than again maybe I dont even know what I was thinkiing when I wrote that, I do work overnights...sigh.

from comparing wheels at KneeDraggers.com I think the CF is a little lighter, but what about durability?

NOS does sound like a good option, but just hearing the term NOS makes me think "Damaged parts", than again I really know nothing about NOS as I have never used it, just heard from others. [/QUOTE]

...I suggest you talk to GoldenChild about NOS!! I'm pretty sure he can guide you well... I'm going to be buying my NOS kit from him once all my questions have been answered
devil.gif

I have seen a post or two here with some guys who were really happy with CF wheels, low mass is supposed to improve cornering due to less gyroscopic forces with better acceleration from lower inertia in the wheel itself.
The articals I have read in mags doing a comparo all say the finish and fit of BST carbon wheels are the best. And I think they are one of the few full CF wheels that are DOT approved.

Lots of dollars.

If I had the spare cash my Busa would be wearing a set.

Cheers
Ross

...If I do eventually get convinced that CF wheels are strong enough BST is what I will be investing in!!

I've been running BST CF wheels for about a year on my `02 Busa. I have found absolutely no negative issues with the BST rims except the initial price. The lowest current price that I'm aware of is about $3,200 for a complete set. I got lucky and paid $2,850. They are works of art with a high-gloss finish and they transformed my Busas' sluggish handling into a profoundly more responsive bike that is easily "flickable"...! I essentially had to relearn how to ride the Busa because of its new directional change/lean quickness. The CF rims are the most effective mod I've ever made to a bike.

I also added Braking rotors and pads front and rear at the same time and the combination of rims and rotors saved about 15 pounds of unsprung weight. Installing a BDE exhaust saved 22 pounds and installing a `99 - `01 aluminum sub-frame saved 8 more pounds. These mods, along with an undertail and a few other small weight-saving mods, brought my total weight reduction to 52 pounds making the total weight 498. With 168 RWHP, the power-to-weight ratio is 2.96 pounds per horsepower. The factory power-to-weight ratio is 3.55 pounds per horsepower (with 155 RWHP and 550 pounds in stock condition). To achieve the same power-to-weight ratio with the factory wet weight of 550, the Busa has to be pumped up to 186 RWHP.

The rims are tough, strong, light, and DOT approved. At one bike show, A BST rep was actually bouncing a CF rim off the concrete floor (without a tire) like a basketball without any cracks, chips, or other damage to the wheel and... I know of a 7-second drag Busa that runs them problem-free. I do not sell BST rims nor have any financial interest in BST. Obviously, these pricey wheels are not for every Busa owner. But if you can afford them, I can't imagine how you would not be greatly impressed with the increased performance they produce. I am simply a totally satisfied customer who is sharing his joy!
smile.gif

Get them if you can.

WB_CF5.jpg

cf_rims1.jpg

<!--EDIT|WarBaby
Reason for Edit: "&quot;Typo&quot; correction."|1126699937 -->

I was going to suggest you get in touch with Warbaby, but I see he found your post. I have seen his bike in person and those wheels are dynamite! If I free up the cabbage, they are what I want. Shenoy, didn't you just recently buy a set of rims?

Im looking into a set of Marchesini magnesium wheels and the same Braking rotors as Warbaby .
cool.gif

I have been running dymag carbons since '99. Wheels have hit plenty of potholes and the bike has been down at the track once and the wheels look like new to this day. If you can afford carbon then that is what you should go with.

I've been running BST CF wheels for about a year on my `02 Busa. I have found absolutely no negative issues with the BST rims except the initial price. The lowest current price that I'm aware of is about $3,200 for a complete set. I got lucky and paid $2,850. They are works of art with a high-gloss finish and they transformed my Busas' sluggish handling into a profoundly more responsive bike that is easily "flickable"...! I essentially had to relearn how to ride the Busa because of its new directional change/lean quickness. The CF rims are the most effective mod I've ever made to a bike.

I also added Braking rotors and pads front and rear at the same time and the combination of rims and rotors saved about 15 pounds of unsprung weight. Installing a BDE exhaust saved 22 pounds and installing a `99 - `01 aluminum sub-frame saved 8 more pounds. These mods, along with an undertail and a few other small weight-saving mods, brought my total weight reduction to 52 pounds making the total weight 498. With 168 RWHP, the power-to-weight ratio is 2.96 pounds per horsepower. The factory power-to-weight ratio is 3.55 pounds per horsepower (with 155 RWHP and 550 pounds in stock condition). To achieve the same power-to-weight ratio with the factory wet weight of 550, the Busa has to be pumped up to 186 RWHP.

The rims are tough, strong, light, and DOT approved. At one bike show, A BST rep was actually bouncing a CF rim off the concrete floor (without a tire) like a basketball without any cracks, chips, or other damage to the wheel and... I know of a 7-second drag Busa that runs them problem-free. I do not sell BST rims nor have any financial interest in BST. Obviously, these pricey wheels are not for every Busa owner. But if you can afford them, I can't imagine how you would not be greatly impressed with the increased performance they produce. I am simply a totally satisfied customer who is sharing his joy!
smile.gif

Get them if you can.

WB_CF5.jpg

cf_rims1.jpg
Thanks for the review warbaby!! That was really helpful... I have some money coming in next month, I think I'll buy em CF wheels
devil.gif

...so anyone wants my alluminium wheels
rock.gif
tounge.gif
tounge.gif

tounge.gif

Back