CARBON FIBER CANISTERS

benzbusa

Registered
I am wanting a black canister and i would like to know about the durability of a carbon fiber canister. I have read in ad's that carbon fiber is not to be used if you are going to make high speed passes or doing alot of dyno runs. Ofcourse with the busa you are going to do high speed runs and the bike is also going to be on the dyno for mapping. Does the carbon canisters hold up in the elements of everyday riding. Also if anyone has a 03 black and grey with a carbon canister or a black Micron canister please post some pictures. Thanks!

With a Carbon can you need to make certain your not cutting corners. A high quality Carbon can should hold up on a busa without any trouble.
I do know that you have to watch out with carbon cans on the Twins. IE Ducati, RC51, TL's etc, I have heard that the power pulses these machines produce can in fact pop a bargain carbon can. Just too much exhaust pressure.

benzbusa,

I have a Carbon Fiber can on my Busa and couldn't be happier! I haven't had any problems with it and would recommend it to anyone. Not only does it looks sweet but sounds amazing! It's the best mod I have done so far.

I read all the magazine warnings and talked to people about the Carbon can and everyone says something different. The main concensus is that with long blasts or continuous periods of pressure the excessive heat can cause the canister to come apart but......I have heard and seen all of the things they warn you not to do with a Carbon Can and haven't seen a failure yet! I would say don't worry about it and get what you want.

I can't post pics for some reason but check out my bike in this link:

I have a BDE (Brock Davidson Eng.) Gen III street smart system. It's worth the money: sound, quality, and performance is top notch. www.brockdavidson.com/

Josh
blues.gif

I WANT TO GET A BROCK HINDLE ON MY BLACK AND BLUE THINK IT WILL LOOK GREAT WITH THE CARBON CAN....CANT WAIT TO SEE THE PERFORMANCE DIF. WITH THE CAN AND PCIIIR

BLU88,

The Carbon can is the only way to go in my book. I just love the look of Carbon Fiber! If it wasn't so expensive and the quality was better(on the fairings), I would make everything I could CF on the bike!
biggrin.gif

You will love the performance increase with the Full system and PCIIIR, just make sure you take your time on the install.

Josh
cool.gif

I am such a Micron whore, but anyway.....

Micron makes the best carbon can construction-wise IMHO simply because it does not have rivets or bolt holes to shake/rattle loose. With out any holes in the can itself there are no stress concentrations where cracks usually propogate from. You see Micron does not use the outer can "tube" as a structural member so it is not stressed like it is on other can designs. The inner baffle (or lack thereof) is where the support comes from and where the endcaps bolt to. I seriously doubt that you will ever crack a Micron carbon can.

Another point, of all cans that I have tried or seen, Micron is the only one that has a truly functional heat shield. What I mean is you can actually touch the can while the bike is full on hot, regardless of alum - ti - or carbon, and not melt your skin right off. It only gets warm to hot, not searing hot.

Two-Bro's carbons have the heat shield as well. Only warm to the touch even after a full ride or stand still warm up! Sounds deep and throaty!

Sorry  
iamwithstupid.gif
here is a pic. They are C-5 XFmetal. nickel plated carbon fiber.

Let me try for the post whore title, I keep thinking of things after I click the button. They also have black carbon fiber instead of the xf metal carbon fiber.
smile.gif

Another point, of all cans that I have tried or seen, Micron is the only one that has a truly functional heat shield. What I mean is you can actually touch the can while the bike is full on hot, regardless of alum - ti -  or carbon,  and not melt your skin right off. It only gets warm to hot, not searing hot.
Every Carbon Can I have touched is like this! It may not be the case but everyone that I have seen/heard/felt has had it.

I thought it was because of the Carbon Fiber that they have the heat shields installed!?!?!

I thought it was because of the Carbon Fiber that they have the heat shields installed!?!?!
You might be right about all carbon cans requiring heat shields but Micron does it for all their cans regardless of material.

Mine is aluminum and it has a very effective shield apparantly becuase you can wrap your hand around it while the bike is fully hot and it is only warm (except for the tip which gets very hot). I have actually scorched myself by just briefly touching other brands like Yosh, V&H, Kerker, etc.

gotbusa....i do plan on getting a brock hindle carbon in the next month ....right after christmas...i just think it will look great with my black and blue...and also sound great.....

I just got my bde carbon installed today.....didn't get time to bolt the rest of her back up but shes getting close...I'll have her done next saturday.

Back