Calling All Gadget Gurus

busa_boy_69

Registered
Okay Ive been doing alot of thinking about getting a radar/laser detector. Its become clear after 14 years of riding this hyper bike that I'm just never going to be sensible on one.

The problem is I'm very selective how my bike looks and dont want some god awful way to mount it by my clusters.

So my question is you guys that have and use them, whats cleanest and best looking way to mount these so they are inconspicuous?

Pics of your setups would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance

BB69

Thats a rough one. Problem with most of them is they need to be in the "open" to be accurate.

Like viper said, there is no way to mount them inconspicuously. Here is a pic of my 9500ix, I now have my max360 mounted in the same place.
20160616_174024.jpg

I have mine in my tank bag. This covers the laser but that used to not be an issue. There are stealth radar installations that mount inside the fairing like a car but that's very expensive. I actually tried making a hard tank bag that was shaped nice and allowed the RD to sit in a position where it would work at 90% looking forward. Never got the project to a prototype. If anyone is interested I wouldn't mind taking another crack at it sometime.

20150128_212450.jpg

Man the way you have this mounted is perfect! Is it accurate? Also how is it mounted and the power supply fed? If you dont mind walking me through it a bit. I love this.

Don't mind at all. It really wasn't that big of a deal. I just bought a permanent windshield mount from ebay and shaped the mount to match the curve of the windshield of the busa. It just sticks on whit heavy duty double sided tape. For power I got a direct wire kit and wired it to an ignition power source and ran it between the windshield and the dash plastic. (You can see the power wire in the pic. No cutting or trimming required.) I also ran a headphone extension wire from the same place to the front of the seat, so I could run an earbud through my jacket and plug it in at the seat. (My new radar detector is bluetooth so no need for that anymore.)

As far as the accuracy, it is as good as in the truck. Plastic does not affect it at all. You just don't want anything metal in front of the sensor. Same rules apply for bikes as any vehicle, you want it mounted flat for the best range.

Not sure if this helped you or not. If there is anything else I could clarify for you just let me know.

Don't mind at all. It really wasn't that big of a deal. I just bought a permanent windshield mount from ebay and shaped the mount to match the curve of the windshield of the busa. It just sticks on whit heavy duty double sided tape. For power I got a direct wire kit and wired it to an ignition power source and ran it between the windshield and the dash plastic. (You can see the power wire in the pic. No cutting or trimming required.) I also ran a headphone extension wire from the same place to the front of the seat, so I could run an earbud through my jacket and plug it in at the seat. (My new radar detector is bluetooth so no need for that anymore.)

As far as the accuracy, it is as good as in the truck. Plastic does not affect it at all. You just don't want anything metal in front of the sensor. Same rules apply for bikes as any vehicle, you want it mounted flat for the best range.

Not sure if this helped you or not. If there is anything else I could clarify for you just let me know.

It absolutely helped. Thanks a lot man. If I have any hitch when Im setting it up Ill just hit you up and ask. But that doesnt seem bad at all. Thanks again.

Back