California or bust...

EastCoast

Donating Member
Registered
For better or worse I plan on making a round-trip ride from Maryland to So-Cal on the Busa. I'm making this trip to punish myself for being a bad boy
tounge.gif

laugh.gif
, and to rack up miles.

I've never been on a ride this long and want to know from all you diehard, long-riders what I need to, or should, take. Any recommendations will be appreciated.

I will be wearing a backpack and I have the Cortech tail and saddlebags. That's it for storage capacity.

<!--EDIT|EastCoast
Reason for Edit: None given...|1148699393 -->

Plenty of beach bunnies who'll be willing to punish you for being a bad boy. You're coming to the right place.

biggrin.gif

--Wag--

I can add to this from personal experience. I took a trip with my best friend towards Milwaukee. The Harley 100 th birthday bash. We made it to Nebraska where he lost his life due to a truck out in farm country. It was an awful two weeks after that day.

What do I think was a contributing factor? Two things really. Riding to long the day before and having to ride to far the next day to keep a schedule. A tight schedule.

Please read the last paragraph again.

On the way home it was done differently. One because it took a lot of effort to get my girlfriend back on the bike for the 1300 mile trip home and two, we were full of sadness.

On the way home we rode only six (6) hours a day. We got a good nights sleep, had a nice breakfast, stopped when we wanted and checked in to the Hotel around three or four in the afternoon. Had a long shower, good dinner and a great nights rest.

My advice? Take your time, enjoy the sights and have fun. I wish David and I had done the same thing. I miss him.

hogger...

104_0437.JPG

hogger,

I remember reading your story before. Very sad. I'm sorry for your loss. Your advice is very good.

I drove from So-Cal to Anchorage. One night I was working on my 13th hour of driving when I almost ran off the Alcan Hwy because I couldn't keep my eyes open. It was then I learned not to push too far or you might end up dead.

Two more things. Don't forget the time change as you come accross and carry personal protection. Your choice on the later.

Oh..stay North then drop down to California. Getting hot out here. Ride at night if in the desert and drink plenty of liquid. Heat stroke will sneak up on you very quickly. Not a good thing.

If coming through Arizona ie: Interstate 40 West let me know and I'll shoot you my phone number just in case you have any problems.

Thank you for your thoughts.

hogger...

get ground floor hotel rooms so you'll have a safe place to park your ride at night
biggrin.gif
it would suck if you got up one morning and didnt have any transportation
wink.gif

I do a 3-4000 miler every summer and I'm leaving again on June 16th for this summer's northwest tour. First time on the new LE though. Since your asking, first off I'd leave the backpack at home and get a Cortech tankbag. I wouldn't want to have something hanging on my back across the US. Their expandable magnetic mini tankbag works great and is a bargain as well. At lunch stops or whatever you can take it with you, keeping your valuables with you. Also sign up for the best towing coverage there is at,

http://www.rvroadhelp.com/rvroadhelp/

Includes a KOA membership if you're into camping along the way. Take some meds, hand lotion (ever wear gloves every day for a week or more?). Sunscreen, gum, water, something to snack on if stranded, cell phone and extra battery, V-1 on a stem mount from,

http://www.motorcycleradar.com/products_pg3_4.htm#StemStand

along with their "quick stand"

http://www.motorcycleradar.com/quick_stand.htm

for lubing and adjusting your chain. A small can of chain wax and plexus and a few small towels for shield cleaning duty. I also take a C02 gun and tire plug kit just in case and a disc lock and bike cover. If I think of anything else...

I bought a Scorpion alarm system exclusively for my cross country trip. I wanted to cover all the bases and not get stuck rideless in the middle of the night. Also, I agree with hogger: don't set time deadlines, just take it easy. Busa rides "ok" for long trips, but it ain't no pleasure cruise. expect pains in legs, wrists, and neck from wind over long periods of time

Back