Buying Online

Thinker62

Donating Member
Registered
There have been a few recent posts regarding trouble people had buying stuff from members of the board. I have had a small amount myself. Here are the rules I live by:

1. Beware of new members who appear to have joined just to sell something. As a rule of thumb, check the date they joined and how often they post. This does not make them good or bad, but it may guide you in how cautious you should be.

2. Don't buy from strangers. Find out who else on the board has dealt with him or knows him. check the references.

3. Insist on pictures before buying anything. Those with class post pictures as a norm anyway.

4.  Ask if they will accept it back if you are not satisfied.

5. When in doubt about the product, the quality, or the seller, always consult the board before purchasing. Good advice here!

6. When you get a good product at a fair price, or an unsatisfactory one, let everyon know about it.  

7. If it is a bike you are buying, research the title.

8. If it is a bike, go see it, or have another member go see it. (Case in point, . This guy may be totally legit, but I would have to investigate a lot further.)

Lets make it hard for the bad apples to succeed here, and lets pump up those that come thru.

Greg

<!--EDIT|Thinker62
Reason for Edit: None given...|1080336795 -->

right on!!!
those are great ideas

i guess i should post this since i never let any one know
i bought several items, stands, pipes, blinkers, and bra, from thinker62
great prices and great guy to deal with

couldn't of asked for anything better

wink.gif

<marquee>FOR SALE   FOR SALE   FOR SALE   FOR SALE </marquee>

HAYABUSA SWAMP LAND

Trust me........

I agree somewhat. But people do this sort of stuff all the time.

I just had an experience () that makes me feel the same way.

But you can still trust someone if they provide all of the necessary information to you.

I looked on some of the Car sites (edmonds, consumer reports, etc) and they make some simple suggestions.

Ask for the following.
Picture ID - You need to make the check out to someone right?
Copy of the Title - Yea can be forged...but at least you asked.
Copy of their latest tag receipt. A little harder to forge.
Copy of their lasted insurance card - You can call and verify that they indeed do have insurance.
Have the bike inspected by an OFFICIAL Dealership. $300 spent might save you thousands.
Use an escrow service. If the person sends you a 1/12th scale model then you can call the whole thing off.
Make sure when you use the escrow service that you tell them that you have 10 days after recipt to release the funds.

Oh well. It's more of the commen sense stuff that made me feel like I was not thinking.

As for people who just joined......hmm. I don't have a busa yet, but I kinda like to have trust in people.........if they can prove it. He he.

Back