buy a used track bike

Busa_05

Busa Legend
Donating Member
Registered
Okay, a few of you brother's have been following along on my decision to pick up a used bike for the track. So here's what I've got:

That ZX6R that is stripped and track only. Owned by an amateur road racer

I have found a couple of GSXR 1000's that are street bikes that I could pick up for about the same coin.

What do you guys think? Buy a used track bike that has been raced and probably well taken care of? Or buy a used street bike that the dealer/private seller 'says' has been well cared for, etc? My dilemma is this: If I buy the used track bike, that is all I will ride it for...track days/racing. If I buy a street bike, I can ride it whenever, but also race it. Also, I would think I might get more coin out of a bike I can sell as a 'street bike?' At this point I don't know how serious I will get about racing. I might only hit track days and some amateur races after I get my license, or like Jim said, I might go hog wild and get serious as hell. I'm waivering...what do you guys think?

Jason

<!--EDIT|Busa_05
Reason for Edit: None given...|1117975072 -->

Man get the gixxe 1k. What are the years & mileage and # owners? I'd jump on one of the 1,000s man. Best of both worlds if you want to turn it into a track/street bike you have that option. No brainer if it were my choice bro.

Man get the gixxe 1k.  What are the years & mileage and # owners?  I'd jump on one of the 1,000s man.  Best of both worlds if you want to turn it into a track/street bike you have that option.  No brainer if it were my choice bro.
I appreciate the input, bro. Thanks!
beerchug.gif

I agree with BigDawg. I think you already knew the right answer, but needed some reassurance. Be reassured.

It depends on what you want to do man. Starting out on a 1000 on the track will be hard. You will be faster if you start on a 600, then make the jump later. If you start on a 1k, you have a very very steep learning curve to overcome. Ask just about any track junky, most will agree. If you don't care about that sort of thing, then definately go for a 1000, they are fun!

thats a tuff one i'd say get a street bike to use for track cause if you wana get rid of it chances will be easier to get rid of that then a track only bike.

As for the 600 to 1000 dilema thats another tough one i'd pick the 1000 just for well it's the 1000 but the 600 would definatly be nicer to learn on

The 1000 will be a closer match to the Busa for power on the track, but the 600 will be easier through the turns. I think you're right about the resale possibilities though, so I would seriously consider it. One thing to look into would be the size limit for amateur racing. Sometimes they have a 600cc limit for the amateur licenses depending on the organization. I guess the Busa would require me to have at least two licenses.

If you get the 1000, then I would suggest getting a set of race plastics BEFORE you ever take it out on the track. My wife's cousin did not do this, and after his crash at , he can no longer sell his factory plastic or use them again. Also make sure to get some frame sliders.

If I had the money right now, I would buy that ZX-6R for myself, and make your decision a lot easier.
laugh.gif

Honestly though, I'm thinking about looking for a nice GSX-R 750 to turn into a track only bike.

Well i had same issue not to long ago.I bought 01 zx6r some
reason did not like it. So got my self  03 600rr still did not like it.
Dicided to try 05 k1 and VIOOLA this bike fit me so well and
handle so well.This will be my track/street bikes,stable mate for my busa.

smile.gif
 Go with the 1k specially if you are big guy.The 600 feels
cramped for me.

<!--EDIT|vincebusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1118046127 -->

I really appreciate all you guys' input. Jim, if you want the number for Sven for that track prepped zx6r let me know.

I've been looking in the classifieds and on cycle trader for a used bike. I'm trying to find a gixxer 600 or 1000. Man, I appreciate all you brothers.
beerchug.gif

Jason

Get the 6, you will learn to be a lot faster on it. 1k's are great, but can be overpowering on track until you get used to it but you will learn to be faster on the 6. Either way, enjoy what you get

Get the 6, you will learn to be a lot faster on it. 1k's are great, but can be overpowering on track until you get used to it but you will learn to be faster on the 6.  Either way, enjoy what you get
I've got a couple calls and emails out on some 600's I've seen for sale. We'll see what happens. Thanks Vincent.  
smile.gif

beerchug.gif

<!--EDIT|Busa_05
Reason for Edit: None given...|1118052602 -->

I really appreciate all you guys' input. Jim, if you want the number for Sven for that track prepped zx6r let me know.

I've been looking in the classifieds and on cycle trader for a used bike. I'm trying to find a gixxer 600 or 1000. Man, I appreciate all you brothers.
beerchug.gif

Jason
Thanks for the offer Jason, but right now, I need to stay in the world of reality. I don't have the money, and the wife would literally kick my ass.
laugh.gif

Probably within the next year or two I'll start getting a lot more serious about it.

Alright, guys. I found an 02 CBR600 f4i for three grand. Dude was doin' a wheelie and laid it down. The subframe is slightly askew, and the tail is exploded all to hell (I'll need a new one of those) and the right fairing has a little bit of a rash. He has a new subframe for it that he'll send along. Assuming when I check it out closer tomorrow and have one of the mechanics take a look at it, if the forks and main frame and are all good and the bike is mechanically sound, I might bring her home.

What'cha think all?
rock.gif

<!--EDIT|Busa_05
Reason for Edit: None given...|1118161548 -->

Jason...sounds like a pretty good deal.

I'll PM you a link to another place you can look also in case the deal falls through.
biggrin.gif

Seems like a little much if it's bad looking. How much would a mint F4i go for? $45, 5000? I would calculate the cost involved fixing it and make an offer accordingly. I understand that you're gonna use it on the track, but you may want to street it yourself, or sell it to someone that does one day. Just my .02

You really need to make a decision man! Track or street? The bike really only can be setup for one or the other. I say; if it is the track that you are buying the bike for, get the 600 hands down! Just my two cents......
biggrin.gif

Back