Why do you guys use street tires on the track ?

Blanca BusaLess

Suffers from PBSD
Donating Member
Registered
Just curious?
Many of you talk about the Dunlops and how good they are on the track.
I wonder why you guys don't use a racing slick on your bikes on the track at track days? Many trailer the bike there.
So is it that it's your street bike and you don't have an extra set of rims to put slicks on so you can swap them out for a track day or something else ?
Are there rules regarding what kind of tires a novice can use at a street bike track day?
Skydivr you've got a gixxer 1k dedicated track bike but use street tires , why ?
TufBusa your a coach/instructor/master teacher or grasshoppers but I see you always talk about the Bridgestone street tires you use.
Why don't you guys use slicks?
:dunno:

I do because I can't afford an extra rim I have pilot power pure on now I was going to go with the power one but I figured I ride on the street 6 out of the 7 days so I figured the pure would be better for me as for the slick I had one on for awhile and it was breaking loose as much as the firecracker (shinko) I had on before it but thats just me

Im too lazy to change tires 2 times a day(before and after a race), with a good track/street tire Im ready to hit the track and go for a ride right away, no changing needed.:laugh:

But I have to admit that its been on my mind running a slick, but I like to ride to the track, dont really like to trail . Some day I might:whistle:

Just curious?
Many of you talk about the Dunlops and how good they are on the track.
I wonder why you guys don't use a racing slick on your bikes on the track at track days? Many trailer the bike there.
So is it that it's your street bike and you don't have an extra set of rims to put slicks on so you can swap them out for a track day or something else ?
Are there rules regarding what kind of tires a novice can use at a street bike track day?
Skydivr you've got a gixxer 1k dedicated track bike but use street tires , why ?
TufBusa your a coach/instructor/master teacher or grasshoppers but I see you always talk about the Bridgestone street tires you use.
Why don't you guys use slicks?
:dunno:

They are lazy and don't want to spend the time or the money...

slicks offer more grip and last longer than street tires at the track.

There are no rules for tires...just that need to be in good condition.
Posted via Mobile Device

rofl, I see where this is going.
I'm sure all of this is going to end with why Shinkos are an ok street tire...:laugh:

Not everyone at a trackday should be on race tires. You probably won't be able to keep your race tires warm enough unless you’re at least in the intermediate group.

Me...I use both. Much of it has to do with your skill level/how fast you’re going. This year I plan on running my first track day or 1/2 track day on Q2's. I'm sure my skills have deteriorated over the winter and I won't be at the level I need to be for the 211's right out the gate.

Why bother with the Q2's? Quite simply they are just that good of a tire. At the moment the level of performance to longevity they bring to the table is tough to beat. If I can find some more feedack on the Pirelli track day slick and how it compares to the Q2 I may switch to those.

Also...Not all slicks are race tires, and not all race tires are slicks.
:thumbsup:

That's a great question Blanca. The short answer is how fast can you go, how much grip do you need to get there and how much money do you want to spend. A set of Dunlop Q2's @ $220 per set is all the tire most street riders will ever need. Then there is the top of the line Dunlop Ntec race tire that's preferred by the top Club Racers @ $535 per set.

The street guys will never ever use the upper limits of the Ntec nor can they ride it hard enough for the tire to properly heat up to the preferred 170 degrees.

Unless one has the skills to ride in the Advanced Group, high end race tires are a waste of money. The high end street tires such as the Q2 & BT016 are very capable track day tires and much less expensive. A skilled rider can ride a high end street tire in mid to lower level of the advanced group without issue.

Extra rims are a must if you run race tires on your street bike. It's a real pain in the butt to change tires for every track day then change them back for street use the next day.

There is a very lengthy conversation to be had about tires, how they function and what it takes to may them function well. A tire is no better than the suspension it depends on to keep it in proper contact with the pavement.

I run Dunlop GPRA 11's on my R1 track bike, never know when it will be wet. If you use slicks you need to have tyre warmers so that the tyres are up to track temp which means you need to have a generator. Most slicks can only be used through 5 heat cycles at the most and as I am only track riding for the fun and not competition I choose to run top of the range street tyres.:beerchug:
ImageShack Links Do Not Work

I run track/street compounds (Power One, BT003RS). Kill the sides on the track, then the centers on the street. Get the most out of the tire dollar. I do have a second set of rims with Avon Storms mounted up for the long trips.

I run track/street compounds (Power One, BT003RS). Kill the sides on the track, then the centers on the street. Get the most out of the tire dollar. I do have a second set of rims with Avon Storms mounted up for the long trips.

Doing that with the Q2's I ran for most of last year:beerchug:

Tuf hit the nail on the head. I never went to the track to "race". We rode fast and we rode hard, but I never intended to reach the limit of the Q-2, and only wanted to fine tune my skills. You dont win a trophy, they dont keep time, and you are only racing yourself. So I just worked on being smooth and putting my knee down to see how far I could carry it through a turn. I dont want to race, too old for that. So the Q-2 fit the bill nicely. I will also add that the Q-2 did what is was supposed to do.

Hallett Sept 5 008.jpg

where is the don't like button for this comment...

They are lazy and don't want to spend the time or the money...

slicks offer more grip and last longer than street tires at the track.

There are no rules for tires...just that need to be in good condition.
Posted via Mobile Device

This should be the main reason why:
The street guys will never ever use the upper limits of the Ntec nor can they ride it hard enough for the tire to properly heat up to the preferred 170 degrees.

but more often it's the added expense for extra wheels and tire warmers. Also the time to swap the wheels and adjust your suspension settings.

where is the don't like button for this comment...

My comment was for Blanca, the OP...

He has zero track experience and wonders why if you are on a race track, you would use street tires and not track/race tires.
Posted via Mobile Device

All I can say is, when riding with hot slicks, I have more confidence, my motorcycle is ready for my personal exploration of my limits and it's one less thing I can blame for my mistakes! Doyle

P1020934.JPG

P1020695.JPG

All I can say is, when riding with hot slicks, I have more confidence, my motorcycle is ready for my personal exploration of my limits and it's one less thing I can blame for my mistakes! Doyle

Hey, here is a guy that actually rides a HAYABUSA at the track.

Yeah Doyle...if you are on the Busa, having better tires is a must...skill level, the pace you intend to run, and hot tires. All things that a person @ the track needs to consider.
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks guys. Your answers are pretty much what I figured.
I'm not shopping slicks and warmers and dont even have a set of leathers yet.
Was just curious why y'all use grooved street tires on the track is all.

To the other regular track day attendees:

Do you think you see more folks going too fast on street tires or more folks using race tires that don't need to?

Back