Why do you guys use street tires on the track ?

:laugh: oh Steven....

Lots of good points today.

Don't try to be Rossi your first day on the track.
Explore your limits at your own pace.

Macon I think we have some similar viewpoints on track riding. When I go to the track I keep pushing and pushing till something happens. Either I go faster or something silly happens. Luckily for me all that has incurred is a couple of lowsides and some sweet(minor) sportbike offroading advetures. I wouldn't catagorize myself as wreckless but I'm definetly out there to see what I can learn. I do try my best to respect the other riders and their equipment. I would hate to be that guy that ruins someone elses track day or worse...

Yes that is exactly the way I think about it also:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

So say you take your bike to the track and want to run it like you would on the street. If you wreck would standard insurance cover it or do you need different insurance?

Thanks for all the great posts about this btw. I am still on the fence but knowing about all these details helps track virgins make decisions.

I would check with your Ins. agent to make for sure, I ask mine about it before and i am with State farm and she told me NO, And she trys to help me out all the time because her and my wife are friends, She told me if something ever happened then I better say that it happened on the street. Which is dont matter now because I only have Liability on my lovely track beast. But make sure you check with you agent just to make sure.

Sounds like you need to report "safety/instructional class" instead of "trackday"....

No. Trackday's are considered "INSTRUCTION", just like the MSF. All you can do it call them and ask (or read the fine print in your policy to see if it strickly forbids it). While I have yet to hear about anyone's insurance denying payment because it happened at a trackday, I have heard plenty of people who crashed tell me they DID get paid.

Trackdays are nothing more than a day at the track...a race track by the way. If I tell my insurance company that I crashed at Laguna Seca...sorry charlie we don't cover you for competition events.

Everybody should first check their policy, and confirm with their agent just to make sure they're covered.

If it's a school with some actual classroom time and some sort of certificate...that's different...still might not be covered.
Posted via Mobile Device

If I was ever to wad a bike...it would be on the street a couple of days AFTER my trackday.
Posted via Mobile Device

There's a lot of good information in this thread!! Thanks for everybody's contribution. I have nothing to offer since I've not gone to a track day yet.

If I was ever to wad a bike...it would be on the street a couple of days AFTER my trackday.
Posted via Mobile Device

My thoughts exactly. And that is pretty much what my Insurance lady told me that I had better say also.

Back