Why do you guys use street tires on the track ?

If you are coming to a track day with me, leave the slicks at home. My presence will guarantee a wet track at some point. I'm just lucky that way :laugh: At least I haven't been hailed on at the track, yet.

The only way to know how good or poor your tire is, can only be found by exceeding it's grip. If you always have to much tire as BA BUSA says, you aren't doing yourself any favors with the learning curve. Something I learned a few years ago from Aaron Yates, if you want to speed up the learning curve practice on shagged tires. Shagged tires will force you to ride well and correct your mistakes. To much tire lets you get away with mistakes that will burn you when you pick up the pace.

It's not the tire that makes us crash, it's mistakes that make us crash.

And for those who think a high performance street tire doesn't have enough grip to perform at your level, I'd suggest attending a Jason Pridmore School. Jason is amazing on Q2's spanking out lap times that mear mortals like us can only dream about.

Of course it's a personal decision as to which tires you run. Me, when I build a deck in the air I use 6x6 posts even if 4x4's are called for. Hot slicks take you where other tires don't. Someone said suspension then comes into play (Tuf I think) when you make the move to slicks. So true, like any performance mods, other issues surface after you install a high end mod, part of the equasion.
We can all have safe and really high performance track days with proper street tires (P Pures, Q2's etc.) it's just that some want to explore the next step......it's all part of the experience of our beloved sport! Doyle

Are you running a 180 on your busa, Doyle?

You are the one who is always preaching about guys not having enough tire (grip)...go quote my post...I say you should ride within your tires abilities, your skill level, and the road conditions.
Posted via Mobile Device

I have run Pirelli slicks on my 1000 at one track day and went from running 1.24 lap times (the fastest I had ever run with any street tire) to 1.21 lap times with slicks, And yes I was riding a little over my head like I always did before I got MARRIED:laugh:, But I have a dedicated track bike so I can do that with it, Because I like to see just how fast I can go, Which has resulted in a highside and a couple of lowsides:laugh: But I like to ride at the track just the way I always practiced on the MX track WIDE OPEN. But as I mentioned I am now married so I had to slow down a little and just have fun. The only reason I took my slicks off is because the second track day that I went to with them on it rained and I had to run in town and buy a set of Q2's at Cyclegear and have had them on ever sense. And I do use tire warmers on the Q2 and on the slicks that way they are warm and ready and do not have to heat cycle as many times.

Are you running a 180 on your busa, Doyle?

I have both a 180 and a 190 Steve, I've been using the 190 in the hopes that the slightly larger contact @ max lean angles gives me a healthier relationship with the tarmac(especially when rolling throttle on at apex).....do you think that's right? Doyle

I have both a 180 and a 190 Steve, I've been using the 190 in the hopes that the slightly larger contact @ max lean angles gives me a healthier relationship with the tarmac(especially when rolling throttle on at apex).....do you think that's right? Doyle

The 180 will make it tip in a bit easier but the 190 will give you a little more grip for corner exits. Just a matter of preference. Both work just fine on a track day. I've always preferred a 190 simply because big HP bikes make hay on the corner exit and I'm happy to add a little muscle on tip in for the added grip on exits. We run 200's on all three race bikes 600, 750 & 1000. Most of the better race guys do the same.

I was just curious. That tire in your photo looked like a 180. Whichever tire you run Doyle, you should run consistently. It's much easier to tune the suspension to the same tire every track day.

I like the 190/55 profile myself, too easy to get to the edge of the 190/50 in my expierience.

Me too...I've run just about all the sport tires from Dunlop, Michelin, Pirelli, Metzler, Bridgestone...I have always liked the Pirelli's the best...went through countless sets of SuperCorsa's over the years.
Posted via Mobile Device

The 180 will make it tip in a bit easier but the 190 will give you a little more grip for corner exits. Just a matter of preference. Both work just fine on a track day. I've always preferred a 190 simply because big HP bikes make hay on the corner exit and I'm happy to add a little muscle on tip in for the added grip on exits. We run 200's on all three race bikes 600, 750 & 1000. Most of the better race guys do the same.

I was just curious. That tire in your photo looked like a 180. Whichever tire you run Doyle, you should run consistently. It's much easier to tune the suspension to the same tire every track day.

I get why you were asking, that's funny 'cause that pic DOES show a 180 on.....just not a slick, that day I was running Power Races (which I later decided, if I run them, why not slicks?) Power Races were fine for track days but just not enough tread to allow me to relax when riding on the street! Anyways, thanks for the info, I think I'll go to a 200 slick and stick with it (no pun intended). Doyle

I have to say I like reading my own thread :)
What a great discussion. Very interesting to read all of your comments.

Me....
If I ever have luxury to do a track day would just cruise around, nothing to prove and as many say would only be there to have fun. It may help me on the street but being it's flat and ninety degree turns here feeling the front slide and not panicking would not translate.
I'm merely interested in doing a track day to get the desire to go fast out of my system, same as an LSR event. I also miss the twisties of TN, so to be able to lean over a bit and twist the wrist would allow me to enjoy cruising around on the street without the urge to do something stupid.

I just need to find a company that makes a set of Level II Kevlar leathers because when they show up at my house and the wife hears they are for 'racing' she will most surely shoot my azz :laugh:

Is good to know that my Q2 will handle some track time.. Though i think i am to anxious for tracks. I want to try but would like to get some alone time with a track as i'm slower on the uptake. Seems like it would be stressful to have people haulin by you as you learned to ride the tracks.

Great info on tires though thanks for all the posts. :thumbsup:

Is good to know that my Q2 will handle some track time.. Though i think i am to anxious for tracks. I want to try but would like to get some alone time with a track as i'm slower on the uptake. Seems like it would be stressful to have people haulin by you as you learned to ride the tracks.

Great info on tires though thanks for all the posts. :thumbsup:

Just find the closest track and go!!! The novice group is for novice riders. Just about everybody in that group will be in the exact same boat you are in. The novice group usually has very strict passing rules and there will be coaches/control riders out there making sure you’re not getting harassed buy other riders. My first day out I was slow, couldn't run a good line to save my life and lowsided my GSXR1000 in a slow corner... it was still the most fun I had ever had in my life.

Just find the closest track and go!!! The novice group is for novice riders. Just about everybody in that group will be in the exact same boat you are in. The novice group usually has very strict passing rules and there will be coaches/control riders out there making sure you’re not getting harassed buy other riders. My first day out I was slow, couldn't run a good line to save my life and lowsided my GSXR1000 in a slow corner... it was still the most fun I had ever had in my life.

+1 :thumbsup:

Track day providers are very fussy about first time track users. They make sure you have a good day. As Gary says you won't be the only first time track guy in the novice group. You'll have track coaches out there in brightly colored vests to help you with anything you need or don't understand.

That first track day is a great experience like the first time you get your knee down, you'll remember it forever!

Just Do It'! :beerchug:

pretty good discussion guys...very impressed with the information being shared.

I would however like to add....In my opinion "track days" are not for going 100%. There is nothing more dangerous than a rider in "novice" or "intermediate" living out his motogp days and riding over his and unsafe. around here the advanced groups are mostly racers or very experienced former racers/riders with lots of experience. Even though the times are faster, there are fewer crashes usually than in the other two groups. mainly because these guys understand to ride within thier limits.

100% is for racing....Track Days are for fun.

Just my opinion....

I guess that is one of the things I like about Hallett. The track owners are on site, the whole family runs the track. They tell you point blank at the beginning of every day, "if you are not having fun, its your own fault. Tell someone why you are not having fun and it will be fixed.". :beerchug:

pretty good discussion guys...very impressed with the information being shared.

I would however like to add....In my opinion "track days" are not for going 100%. There is nothing more dangerous than a rider in "novice" or "intermediate" living out his motogp days and riding over his and unsafe. around here the advanced groups are mostly racers or very experienced former racers/riders with lots of experience. Even though the times are faster, there are fewer crashes usually than in the other two groups. mainly because these guys understand to ride within thier limits.

100% is for racing....Track Days are for fun.

Just my opinion....

You are just a tad off base on that one.

The only way to advance your skills is to push your limits. The key is to know when and where to push that 100% envelope. If you never scare yourself a little you become stuck in a comfort zone and that's where you remain.

Running 100% is physically demanding and not many guys (Especially track guys) are capable of 100% for a full session, much less all day. John Hopkins said it best, "If you run 100% for more than three laps bad things are going to happen"!

I think there is a happy medium Tufbusa, when you ride 70% on the street every day then go to the track and try to ride 100% your going to get in over your head quick, I have seen it at every track day I have gone to. I think the percentages may look a little like this...

If you ride 70% on the street because you always want that extra manuevering room then you should start out at the track riding 71% and going up from there... Jumping from 70% daily rider to 100% ability is a large stretch... Honestly if your riding harder than you do on the street then I guess you could say that you are riding 100% of the normal effort... That make sense... As you become a better rider then you may be putting actually less effort and ability on the street and the gap become bigger and bigger every time you go to the track....

Im sure that Jason Pridmore doesn't ride 70% on the street then 100% on the track.... he probably rides 30% on the street and 100% on the track.....

cap

Back