road racing

Busa_05

Busa Legend
Donating Member
Registered
So I've made some friends at a new speed shop that opened up and it turns out they are amateur racers. The owner is a pro racer in Formula Extreme. Their team is racing at the AMA's this weekend in the formula races. I've been interested in racing for quite awhile and finally am in the position where I could afford to pick up a used bike to race, and these guys have offered to let me tag along with them to track days, hook me up with a couple of race schools and so forth. My mechanical knowledge of bikes is minimal. I mean, I can change my oil, air box, adjust my suspension...but that's really about it. These guys offered to help me out at their shop and so forth.

What do you guys think? One of the guys has an '02 ZX6R that he's been looking to sell, as he bought an '05 GIXXER 1000 to race this year. So that bike is already race prepped. I could buy it for about $2900. I'm just not sure. I've always loved bikes, I love racing, and I would love to get on the track. I just don't want to take my boo out there.

I've the got the storage, a shop and guys to help out my 'don't-know-much-about-mechanics-azz.' But then I've got tires, fuel, oil, parts if I have a get off, parts if I have a mechanical problem. Is it worth it the end? I would think so. I love to ride, I love speed, I love to tear up the road when I can; but I've never been on a track. I don't want to get on a track to "win." I want to get on a track to ride like hell and enjoy myself...but again, if I go I want a bike I can really race on...and no, I'm not slamming the boo. I love my boo no end...you know what I mean.
eek2.gif

Comments, guys?

Jason

<!--EDIT|Busa_05
Reason for Edit: None given...|1117846804 -->

Do a track day and see if you like it
rock.gif
if you do then jump in with both feet.

See what kind of coin the bike you're considering goes for on the open market. If it's around what you're gonna pay, I say buy the bike, use it for a month, if ya don't like it sell it and move on. You might lose a little cash, but chalk it up to trial and error.

See what kind of coin the bike you're considering goes for on the open market. If it's around what you're gonna pay, I say buy the bike, use it for a month, if ya don't like it sell it and move on. You might lose a little cash, but chalk it up to trial and error.
good advice.

Good advice guys! Thanks!
beerchug.gif

I went and talked to Brett today for about an hour and a half after work tonight. He was the only guy at the shop. The other guys are at Road America getting ready for Jason's race. I talked with him about track days, mechanical issues, and the bike in general. It looks like Jason will help me get the suspension set up for my weight. The motor has been replaced, Brett wasn't sure how many miles were on the motor now. The tires have one track on them and the chain is new. The motor compression tests were good. The pads are not stock and have a race on them. Sven, the guy selling the bike, has some spare rear sprockets, spare clutch and brake levers and some other stuff that he is sending along with the bike for whoever buys it. Brett told me to talk with Jason on monday, but he is sure he would take me out to the track for a couple of track days and get me rolling.

They seem like a really cool, helpful crew of guys there. I'm still not sure what I am going to do, though. The bike is not pretty by any means, but it apparently dyno'd at just about 110 horse and is a decent track bike for a novice (after 16 years of street riding I don't even consider myself an amateur...no joke, I have no track time...but I think it will just be great to get out there and ride and learn).

for $2,900... assuming it's not trashed.. you should buy it.

not like your gonna loose your ass even if you total it on a warmup lap ya know.

for $2,900... assuming it's not trashed.. you should buy it.

not like your gonna loose your ass even if you total it on a warmup lap ya know.
that's what i keep thinking. i guess i'm just hesitant. i'll be buying a track bike i'll be able to actually get on and ride...what, maybe two weekends a month for the season? on the other hand, I think the pay off in hapiness will more than make up for the money spent. you think?

Do it trust me it's worth it if anything see if they will let you take the bike out for one weekend at the track to really decide if you want it and just say hey if i wreck it i'll buy it. I had a chance on a track once and it was awesome would love to get into it to bad the closest road corse for me is about 400 miles away
sad.gif

Do it trust me it's worth it if anything see if they will let you take the bike out for one weekend at the track to really decide if you want it and just say hey if i wreck it i'll buy it. I had a chance on a track once and it was awesome would love to get into it to bad the closest road corse for me is about 400 miles away
sad.gif
Man! Sucks that the tracks are so far away from you! There We have 4 tracks in Wisconsin(well, Blackhawk Farms Raceway is just over the Illinois border) and a couple that are a drive away. I'll probably only hit Road America, Blackhawk Farms, and the new track opening over by Shawano. I'll probably buy the bike and slowly get into it. It's nice to her validation of what I call the "smile factor."
tounge.gif

Busa05 My hired man and a few friend are at Road america this weekend at Elkhart Sounds like there haveing a blast so far. I'd like to sell this 954 but if i don't i'll probly transform it to a track bike and try and hit some road courses next year doing the drag thing this year since that tracks like 130 miles away and another one soon to be opening is 135 miles away but i'd much rather do road course

I really don't think you will be disapointed and well bikes that are already set up for track usually if you buy them right you can usually get back outta them what you paid for them 2900 isn't bad i bought a 2001 f4i track bike 2 years back and gave 2700 for it and actually sold it this spring for 3100. only had one track session on since i had onwed it otherwise just pissed around town on it since well no plates or none of that good stuff:D

Busa05 My hired man and a few friend are at Road america this weekend at Elkhart Sounds like there haveing a blast so far. I'd like to sell this 954 but if i don't i'll probly transform it to a track bike and try and hit some road courses next year doing the drag thing this year since that tracks like 130 miles away and another one soon to be opening is 135 miles away but i'd much rather do road course

I really don't think you will be disapointed and well bikes that are already set up for track usually if you buy them right you can usually get back outta them what you paid for them 2900 isn't bad i bought a 2001 f4i track bike 2 years back and gave 2700 for it and actually sold it this spring for 3100. only had one track session on since i had onwed it otherwise just pissed around town on it since well no plates or none of that good stuff:D
Your hired man? What are you royalty or something? LOL

Jason,

Just one word of caution............ Once you go track...you'll never look back
laugh.gif

If you like twisty roads and higher speeds, then you will absolutely love the track. Trust me one that one. I'm hooked now, and I am trying as hard as I can to NOT buy a track bike. The bug has bitten, and it bit HARD.

Whatever you do, just take your time the first time you get out on the track. DO NOT get lulled into following a faster rider thinking that you can keep up since his bike handles it. There are subtle differences between the bikes that you'll have to learn. If you steadily push yourself harder during each session while staying within your comfort zone, you'll do fine. My first track day, I was getting passed by a LOT of people. My second day I ended up running up front the last half of the day. You'll learn what it feels like when you lean into a turn and it "just feel right". It is awesome.
biggrin.gif

I don't think you could go wrong buying the ZX-6R. The price seems fair, but I would definitely check it out close and do a test ride first.

Let us know how it all turns out.
cool.gif

Jason,

laugh.gif

If you like twisty roads and higher speeds, then you will absolutely love the track.  Trust me one that one.  I'm hooked now, and I am trying as hard as I can to NOT buy a track bike.  The bug has bitten, and it bit HARD.

Whatever you do, just take your time the first time you get out on the track.  DO NOT get lulled into following a faster rider thinking that you can keep up since his bike handles it.  There are subtle differences between the bikes that you'll have to learn.  If you steadily push yourself harder during each session while staying within your comfort zone, you'll do fine.  My first track day, I was getting passed by a LOT of people.  My second day I ended up running up front the last half of the day.  You'll learn what it feels like when you lean into a turn and it "just feel right".  It is awesome.
biggrin.gif

I don't think you could go wrong buying the ZX-6R.  The price seems fair, but I would definitely check it out close and do a test ride first.

cool.gif
Thanks Jim! I appreciate your input!
beerchug.gif

Depending on how much a guy wants to spend theres many ways to get around the track fast vs the liter bike deal .

Here's a couple bikes that are overlooked for some fairly serious track duty .

Even the liter bikes need some bucks spent on suspension so buying naked's wrecked for a song then turning them into what you want them to be can be some fun . The Yamaha can put 175+ hp to the rear with a little motor messaging while using the stock carbs to save bucks.

Been thinking about putting together another dedicated track bike myself lateley . More power with less money for the Yamaha vs 919 though . Then there is the Z1000 to look into as well .

919racerII.jpg

FZ1racer.jpg

Jason,

laugh.gif

If you like twisty roads and higher speeds, then you will absolutely love the track.  Trust me one that one.  I'm hooked now, and I am trying as hard as I can to NOT buy a track bike.  The bug has bitten, and it bit HARD.

Whatever you do, just take your time the first time you get out on the track.  DO NOT get lulled into following a faster rider thinking that you can keep up since his bike handles it.  There are subtle differences between the bikes that you'll have to learn.  If you steadily push yourself harder during each session while staying within your comfort zone, you'll do fine.  My first track day, I was getting passed by a LOT of people.  My second day I ended up running up front the last half of the day.  You'll learn what it feels like when you lean into a turn and it "just feel right".  It is awesome.
biggrin.gif

I don't think you could go wrong buying the ZX-6R.  The price seems fair, but I would definitely check it out close and do a test ride first.

cool.gif
+1

I have done 2 track days on the "big bird" and absolutely love it. The track I go to is a technical track and yes I do get passed alot and that's o.k. with me as I'm not out there (yet) to compete with anyone but myself. It's a great place to learn yourself and the ride you're on, I thought I was confident on the busa until I did a track day with it and my confidence level went out the window, now I honestly feel as if I'm learning to ride all over again which has "renewed" the whole experience for me. At this point my goal is to get 100% of my confidence back while on the track with the busa, then I'll get a 600/750 track bike that's easier to flick and won't have to worry so much about laying it down. A few words of caution about the busa on the track........she will accelerate a hell of alot faster then she will slow down so do remember there is a turn at the end of every straight and if you can't get her slowed down enough before the turn keep her straight up and go in the dirt as opposed to putting her to the asphalt in the turn, luckily I haven't had to do this yet although I did fill my shorts a few times!

Back