Busted oil line

GA_boi

Donating Member
Registered
Guess its been almost a year now but this is the second time.  The line to the oil cooler is somehow rubbing on the headers and has  worn a hole in the line to or from the oil cooler, not sure which it is.  The last time I was in some twisties passing people and looked back after one turn and saw smoke what looked like a rider went off the road so I stopped and as everyone caught up they said you were smoking like hell when you came by me, I tried to catch ya but I couldnt catch ya.  Well it was spitting oil all over the headers and misting back onto my tire.  Lucky I didnt go down with one half my tire almost completly covered in oil.  Anyways, the dealer fixes it under warranty and blames it on my aftermarket headers(Muzzy).  After a look at my stock ones they had a rust spot where the line had been rubbing on them too.  They say the bent the new one to prevent this from happening again but when I get home this morning I smell burnt oil so I start looking and see some spots on my tire.  I get to investigating them closer to figure out what it is and then look at my headers and there is oil on them again.
banghead.gif
  Has anyone else had this problem?  Did the jackoff I let put my exhaust on possibly install it wrong?  Should I take it back to the dealer and say you said you fixed this and said it wouldnt happen again but it has, I need it fixed under warranty, again?  I'm broke and really cant afford this but I know I cant afford to put gas in the truck for the next few weeks.  Thoughts about what the next step I should take would be appreciated.  

Oh yeah, sorry for the long read.

I'd bring the stock pipe along with you and bring it back to the dealer. I can't blame them for saying it was the after market pipe install at first, but if it was rubbing on the stock pipe too, it's on them in my book. Good luck.
Scary looking at the slick on your tire wasn't it? Oil filter came off on a buddies bike while he was doing something pretty stupid on the highway. He got real lucky that day... not to mention anyone riding behind.

I just put on a Brocks Alien full system. I added two washers behind the oil cooler mounting bolt to make sure the header does not touch the oil line. Its your bike and your safety, it doesn't matter who installed it or who should of done it correctly, check you chit. A simple inspection will tell you if its rubbing or even close to rubbing. You should be able to ride in comfort and never have to worry about it, be safe.

if someone can not properly route oil lines after 2 tries, I would ask to see the completed job BEFORE they put the plastics on... you are lucky you or someone else was not hurt...

worst case, remove the oil cooler..

i had the same problem with my muzzy exhaust. i ended up bending the line a bit to add more clearance. all you need is about 1/8 of an inch. i think this is a know problem with muzzy headers. i read this when i was doing my install.

My Muzzy was a tight fit around one of the cooler lines. I had to carefully bend the line for clearance and I check it from time to time. I was also concerned about heat transfer from the pipe to the oil. 25k miles with no problems.

if the line is that close to the pipe, I would expect some internal "coking" of the line as well... that is some crappy design work on Muzzy's part...

I've got the same header and have had the same problem.  I just gave my oil cooler a big tug forward and now it clears fine (although I check it everytime I have my plastics off).  Also, swapping in a new oil line is a piece of cake - no need to have some kid at the dealership do it - just don't forget the o-rings.

Also check on SH.org for new lines. Lots of turbo guys delete the coolers so they have lines laying around cheap. I gave $20 for both lines.

Thanks everybody. I havent heard about or read anything about any of these issues. I'll start looking for one now.

ok before the bash this year i had the same thing happen my BDE rubbed a pin hole ok melted a pin hole into the line if you sit on the bike would be the right one. so i got a replacement one and i took a few washers and put them behind the oil cooler seems to work i pulled plastic to see how it is doing and seems to be working just fine so it could be a number of things so i would try that first

My stock headers rubbed,put some rubber hose around line to insulate and all was well. The turbo header really solved the problem though,no oil cooler = no interference. Probably cheaper to use rubber hose!
beerchug.gif

This just happened to me two weeks ago... This is the second time... I have a Hindle system, and the line is too close on mine also. I think I will try the "added some washers behind the oil cooler fix" but I was wondering if anybody had come across any after market lines that will take care of this problem?

I have mine at the stealership to see if zuk is gonna cover it under warranty. I will find out monday. Either way, I am definatly gonna put some washers in there to keep this from happening again!!

I just put on a Brocks Alien full system.  I added two washers behind the oil cooler mounting bolt to make sure the header does not touch the oil line.  Its your bike and your safety, it doesn't matter who installed it or who should of done it correctly, check you chit.  A simple inspection will tell you if its rubbing or even close to rubbing.  You should be able to ride in comfort and never have to worry about it, be safe.
He's right....you should check your bike, and any work done to it, over before you ride it. Its your butt on the line, not the pimply faced child at the shop who worked on your bike. Honestly, for peace of mind, you should do all your own work, or you'll never truly be able to count on your machine
winkold.gif

Back