oil cooler line rupture

MO-BUSA

Poster formerly know as qrychefanus
Registered
anyone ever have an oil cooler line break due to the excessive heat coming from an aftermarket header?
rock.gif

just curious???

Yes, on a Yamaha XS1100 many years ago. Header was too close to the stock cooler line, which was wrapped with nylon, not metal, mesh. Melted the wrapping, then a stone off the road took out the rubber inner tube that was bulging through the hole.

Got oil all over my boot, which was my first clue that something was wrong. Had to trailer the bike home and get a replacement cooler assembly as I couldn't undo the tubes on the old one without damaging it.

thanks but i am just curious right now, i had a 1000r NINJA way back when and i put a vance & hines pipe on it and both lines ruptured so i made braided lines outta the old banjo fittings, just wandering if i was gonna have to do the same to the busa, or maybe it is ok to leave as is......

she'll be fine,the lines are tucked up fairly well.

If yer worried thou...header tape.

RSD.

Thats a new one... never heard of it happening to a busa

I've had this happen to me twice. I have a full Hindle exhaust system, and it too close to the oil line coupling, and the flange got too hot and oil started spitting out. The first time, I was on a mountain ride with friends..riding pretty hard. After replacing it, I tried wrapping the line in a heat resist braid. Did a track day at VIR last and it held up pretty good. Went on a ride two weeks ago...starting letting her loose, and the same damn thing happened. Do know what to do about it this time. Any suggestions??

Back