Oil cooler touching V&H header

RussellJ

Rick Rollin'
Registered
Is it bad that my oil cooler lines are touching or are millimeters from my vance and hines header? I was putting all my fairings on today and noticed it...

If they are I would insulate them with some type of insulation. Kinda defeats the purpose of the oil COOLER if a 600F degree plus source is close or against the line.

Is it bad that my oil cooler lines are touching or are millimeters from my vance and hines header? I was putting all my fairings on today and noticed it...

Yes, very bad. I found out first hand, rubbed hole in my oil line. had to buy a new one and well they are over $100 from dealers. 2 cheap options to do. Either bend the oil cooler line *have to be very careful not to crimp it* OR, what i did cut a small piece of header wrap and wrap either the oil line or the header where the 2 meet. it will act as a cushion and keep the heat down. either way will work.

id bend them a little bit. thats what i did on mine. they bend easily. just be careful.

Yes, very bad. I found out first hand, rubbed hole in my oil line. had to buy a new one and well they are over $100 from dealers. 2 cheap options to do. Either bend the oil cooler line *have to be very careful not to crimp it* OR, what i did cut a small piece of header wrap and wrap either the oil line or the header where the 2 meet. it will act as a cushion and keep the heat down. either way will work.

I think I am going to wrap the upper part of my headers that are near the radiator and oil cooler. Will solve this problem and probably cool the radiator a little.

yea i ended up wrapping the whole header...not too bad of a job, even made the bike sound different. seems to run a little cooler as well...

mine does as well on my brocks.I would worry about it vibrating and wearing a hole in the header or oil line.

Good timing that you started this thread, Russell because I actually DID NOT pay attention to this. In the process of installing mine and have NOT yet buttoned up everything so will snag some hi temp wraps for the lines :thumbsup:

lankeeyankee, mucho thanks for the link :cheerleader:

yea i ended up wrapping the whole header...not too bad of a job, even made the bike sound different. seems to run a little cooler as well...
I just installed brocks alienhead and have a couple spots where the header comes close to the oil cooler. I'm going to give this a shot.

Back