Need Opinion on Oil Line Clearance

CTA_Busa_LE

Donating Member
Registered
Well I installed a full Muzzy on my system earlier in the winter. I had the typical clearance issue between the line to my oil cooler on the left side of the bike and the header. I have road tested the bike since, put maybe 30 miles on it hoping I had enough clearance. Well just my luck it was already starting to show wear on the oil line.

In an attempt to correct the problem I have added three small washers behind the lower oil cooler brace to push the cooler and line toward the front tire and away from the header. Yes they were a trick to get in there but I got it done.

Any opinions on the clearance or my method of fixing it. I can't see where this will create an issue in the future and right now there is a full 1/4 inch, maybe a little more, between the oil line and the header. I would much rather resolve any future issues now so any and all input is greatly appreciated.

IMG_1147 (Medium).JPG

IMG_1151 (Medium).JPG

IMG_1152 (Medium).JPG

Im going to say as long as those bolts have enough threads to keep it tight then very good job.

It had been mentioned that I could remove the oil cooler however I believe the engineers at Suzuki put it there for a reason so I'm reluctant to remove it if the issue can be resolved by other means. I'm hoping it doesn't come to that but if further issues happen that can't be resolved it may be a last option.

Im going to say as long as those bolts have enough threads to keep it tight then very good job.

There is about 5/8" of thread holding the brace in place. They tightened up nice with no issues and from what I can tell they only hold the brace in place and don't have any pull against them. I'm thinking they should hold well.

I would not remove the oil cooler.
It does help out the cooling a lot.
When the oil is hot it gets thin and doesn't protect as much.
The cooler gives it a bit of a break.
It looks good! :thumbsup:

Thanks for the comments guys, they are appreciated. I was pretty confident with my fix but not confident enough to say I hadn't overlooked something or not thought of something.

I agree mike, the oil cooler does help out with cooling the oil down, cooler is better especially on those summer days when it's 100+

Next on my list of things to do is new rear tire and flush coolant system and replace coolant with engine ice.

I haven't dealt with this but would a header wrap??? or maybe a carbon fiber or asbestos heatshield help???

1/4" should be adequate. You could always put some wrap on the pipes, or just that one in that area, or you could get some of that tin heat resistant stuff and put it on the oil line.

I had the same Muzzy problem on the 06' I was doing the checkup on. It was showing some chafing on the exterior of the oil line, left side, exactly where your pics are. I did a little radius work on the bends and got about 3/8" for air to circulate. Didn't have the issue down below though. I almost went with a small bit of heat shielding wrapped around the oil line, but decided against. Nice work, and yes, that oil cooler is there for a purpose..... :super:

You have no idea how many posts I have read of the aftermath of that contact point on Muzzy exhaust Hayabusas. "Man my bike's dripping oil, and I have a lot of smoke"......oh puhleeeeze..... :oldcool:

http://www.dudiakracingproducts.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=13857

This stuff is wicked!!!, I wrapped a 20 oz plastc (empty) pop bottle with this stuff, and used an acetylene torch on it... took several minutes non stop in 1 spot to get it to burn though... I trust this stuff with a lot of heat... wrap your line in this... it will not melt.

Thanks for the link, :thumbsup: I'm going to invest in a roll as I have a couple other places where I'd like to have a little more protection. I'm thinking it would probably be a better choice to wrap the rubber radiator line with vs the cheap heat shield they have on it and might as well go ahead and give the metal line a little while I'm at it. I also have an area on the right fairing where the pipe is a little close and this looks ideal to put on the back side of it to prevent heat damage there as well.

I would find some slightly longer bolts myself... as this is going into aluminum, every thread counts.. This is the only exhaust I have seen posts on where guys have killed oil lines.. I question the real "need" for the oil cooler but it can not hurt..

I would (well did) wrap the pipes.. :) sure cools off the ride when summer shows up..

I would find some slightly longer bolts myself... as this is going into aluminum, every thread counts.. This is the only exhaust I have seen posts on where guys have killed oil lines.. I question the real "need" for the oil cooler but it can not hurt..

I would (well did) wrap the pipes.. :) sure cools off the ride when summer shows up..

I have thought about the need for longer bolts but had talked myself out of it as the bolts only hold the bracket in place from what I can tell. With no force pulling outward do you still think it is necessary? I'm no engineer and agree the longer bolt to offset the thickness of the washer would be the best way, no doubt about that, but it will probably be more of a nightmare to find the right bolts than to change them.

I'll run out to the stealership and see what I can come up with, if I can find them easily this is a no brainer for a perfectionist like myself.

Back