Hole in leftside oil cooler line

COLDSTONE1298

Registered
Anyone got a spare one of these lying around in working/holeless condition? Went riding last night when i smelled something burning and saw smoke in the headlight beam. Got home and saw oil on the bottom of the headers and left part of the engine. Thought my motor was tanked even though it was running great. Looked at it today and discovered the metal part of the left side oil cooler hose had pressed against the exhaust header and oil is leaking from it. My busa is a 2000 yr model with a 4-into-1 akropoviac exhaust. Thing is the exhaust was put on 2 years ago and i put atleast 15k on it and now this happens? Some pics:

The damage. This is with me pushing the oil cooler forward some

23490054808_ORIG.jpe

After engine running for a few seconds..

23490078208_ORIG.jpe

When we installed the exhaust we omitted the center bolt to the center brace since it didn't want to line up and everything was well spaced as it was. Once again this was about 2 years/15,000 miles ago

23490037131_ORIG.jpe

I checked the exhaust header bolts and the one thats rubbing against the oil cooler line barely moved when seeing if it needed tightning.

23490037122_ORIG.jpe

Springs seem alright and no signs of melting. I know they are supposed to be tight fitting but not tight as a drum i guess? Is this too much play in this header spring?

23491303069_ORIG.jpe

Checked bike bandit and ron ayers and a new line is about $95. Saw on another forum to take it to a hydraulic line repair place which should be able to repair it for $20 or so. Called around and so far just one place that is capable of bending pipe that may be able to help me but everyone was gone this late afternoon and won't be able to get in touch with anyone till tommorrow. Anybody got a spare one of these thats in good condition and want to part with?

Thing is even when i get this replaced its a question of keeping it from happening again. Saw elsewhere somebody used washers i guess on that center bracing part i omitted reinstalling the bolt to to push the oil cooler out more so it won't touch. Other option from what i've read is it get oil cooler block off plates and omit the oil cooler totally as i guess a stock busa on the street should run fine without it? Just doesn't seem safe though but i'm no expert on this either.

Any help or suggestions is appreciated. Thank you

Why not just go stainless steel lines and FORGET about it :beerchug:

Price of a rubber hose, $15 bucks :whistle:

Price of the security of a stainless line ---- PRICELESS :cheerleader:

Why not just go stainless steel lines and FORGET about it :beerchug:

Price of a rubber hose, $15 bucks :whistle:

Price of the security of a stainless line ---- PRICELESS :cheerleader:

Does anybody have stainless line kits put together for a Busa?

i am curious of this stainless steel line option. How would i get everything to hook up and such?

Seems like omitting the oil cooler and getting the oil cooler block off plates is a option too from what i been reading so far. Guess people with stock busa's on the street haven't had much trouble with this route?

I re-bent the oil cooler line when did mine as well as Dngrumpy's with our Hindle race headers

Does anybody have stainless line kits put together for a Busa?

Might check with Sponsors Who Drag Race, or you can just refit using lines from Earl's Oil Coolers (check size of course) if you have the tools and KNOWLEDGE of how to remouth the conections heads for a tight fit :beerchug:

Skipping the center bolt for your oil cooler brace was probably a big part of the problem. What seemed like good clearance at first changed with engine vibrations. You need to hook that brace back up either with or without spacers. Without that brace your oil cooler just swings on the upper braces like a door on a hinge, with just the lines holding it in place. Way to much movement. Get the lines clear of the pipe then hook that brace up and you should be good for the duration :beerchug:

Back